1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Digital Video editing - Minidv cam to youtube

Discussion in 'General Software' started by KennyT772, Sep 17, 2006.

1. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    me and my buddy camh773 have been video taping some longboarding stuff to show up the losers on youtube. i just recently found my mini firewire cord and have yet to hook it up (hes at a friends house). do i need software to get the video off the camcorder or what? im planning on using movie maker unless there is a free counterpart. right now we have roughly 30min of video. the max i have to work with is 10min/100mb. editing that down to 10 min should be little issue but compressing to 100mb could be hard.

any advice info you guys share will be very helpful as im a total newb here
  2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I think Windows Movie Maker (which came with XP) has you covered. It's pretty much self explanatory. To do a basic import, plug camera in, turn on camcorder, and set it to playback mode. In the left column of movie maker, you can go through everything step by step, just remember to plug your camcorder in BEFORE trying to import anything (captain obvious to the resuce). Or you could just mail the tapes to me and I'd do everything for you ;).
  3. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    naw i gotta learn sometime. i just had no clue how to import from the cam. ive played around with MM a few times with cs:s footage so i kindof know my way around it.
  4. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Ha ha okay. And if in your playing with MM you lost the task pane that says "capture from device", just hit Ctrl-R or File- Capture from device. You'll be fine once that's taken care of :).
  5. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    allright thx zek. i would be editing already but my buddy is getting his hair straitened...so i will get the cam either later tonight or tomorrow after school :(