1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DIII Beta up!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Gilletter, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Isn't this due to come out on the same date as the Black Mesa mod?

2. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I get the joke, but it would have been put to better use before there was actual live streams of D3 footage.

Mr McC says thanks.
  3. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    I must be the only one who thinks D3 looks lame, especially compared to PoE - which will be free and is designed by an indie team of 15 devs...

http://www.pathofexile.com/

4. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    You must be the only one who has got to play it then :p I usually wait to pass complete judgement till after I buy it, Path looks good, theres another thread on it that was just started days ago. It reminds me of Titan Quest a lot.

5. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks are not everything, usually means least to hardcore gamers. Diablo 3 (like most Blizzard games) have top production quality, controls are sleak and good, theres good PVP and PVE balance (not mentioning WoW after Burning Crusade, the community died at that point) etc.

I truly haven't seen Blizzard games ever lack the feel of excellent control and gameplay (in my life-time) Post SC1

6. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Your also basing this entire post on assumptions. Not saying D3 is gonna suck, just that the chance is there.

7. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    Ah! Didn't see the other thread :)
    Grim Dawn is made by some of the Iron Lore guys, but I think PoE looks better visually that D3 or GD, and their plans for ladders/leagues and the ingame economy are pretty cool. Still a Diablo-like clickfest, but the gfx look awesome.

http://www.grimdawn.com/

and by "looks' i didn't mean just the aesthetics of the game, but the game as a whole

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  8. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Chance that anything will happend is always there;)
    I didn't mean to be offensive in anyway, just looking at trends, of all the people I know playing Blizzard games, and also the way in which Blizzard develops and test their games, are highly qualitative. Sure theres less emphasis on the actual graphics, but graphics means so little for most people once its above a specific level, also it allows way more people to enjoy the same game. Blizzard has been known for "spectacular" game-interface/gameplay, and the production quality always follows suit. I agree theres always the chance that it won't succeed like perhaps Diablo 1 and 2. An example could be SC2, they had all of their previous SC1 fans, and when SC2 launched, it surprised the world, ended up sucking 95% of RTS community to itself. If hardcore gamers are to litterally live off playing a game, SC2 is the game to play, Top-sponsored teams and community is all there, not even CSS community comes close to it..

9. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/22/impressions-path-of-exile-beta/#more-75046

It's more Diablo 3 than you let on. It has basically the exact same DRM Scheme, and from what I see, looks like they just copied as much Diablo II as they could. I may not enjoy all the changes, but at least Blizzard is innovating in some way. I personally don't like the Aesthetics of PoE. I think it looks very... unnatural...

10. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    I signed up for the PoE beta too, looks interesting

11. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    OMFG i just got a beta invite, i squealed like a lil girl when i saw it in my battle.net account. Im so fucking happy...

12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    FFFFUUUUUUUU

i jelly.

13. georgectr New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dreamed what I'd do if I got a beta invite and I smiled in the middle of a meeting. Lucky me noone is looking at me right now.

14. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    I really like the aesthetics of POE so far - small details like kicking corpses to reveal the loot, the first "boss" who draws a sword from his own body, the landscapes and monster designs all appeal to me.

What I've seen of D3 looks a bit too WOW-esque to my tastes, but I'm still a fan of the Diablo series for sure. Wasted far too many hours playing both D1 and D2 :toast:

15. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    Im sad..the game looks like a wc3 mod lol im still gonna play the shit outta it though.

16. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    From the blizzard videos I truly did feel the same way, but some of the sponsored high-end gamers tried the game at Gamescom got to play Diablo 3, before hand they also agreed that it was too much WoW-alike, but their opinions changed fully once they had played the game. I don't think the video's represent the game well enough :):)

Also I would rather not judge the game from Act 1, considering the first 20 levels of WoW did not represent level 60 gameplay in Pre-TBC either...

17. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    I hate you right now! lol :nutkick:

18. bucketface

bucketface New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have to say that the visual style in path of exile much closer to that of D1&2 than than D3 is. if i was shown just some video of both games (no sound, branding etc.) i'd pick PoE as the sequel to D2. note im just talking visual style here.
    i am liking the "atmosphere" of d3 but visally it's leaning a little too much towards warcraft's style. personally i enjoyed the d1&2 art style more... but i never really got much into warcraft (story was engaging but gameplay, not so much). i can understand the temtation that they succumbed to, having an art style so reminiscent of WoW is likely to help attract that customer base to the diablo ip, but personally i feel it's lost something because of it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  19. ProjectMayhem

ProjectMayhem New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've always held firm belief in everything Blizzard does... except for some questionable moves they made for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.

As for D3, there's no doubt that it will be fantastic right off the bat. It's not that Blizzard doesn't make bad games, they don't ship bad games. Tons of difference there.

What makes me antsy is the real-money auction house.

As for Path of Exile, it looks good and I hope it gets enough players so the community can be sustained. D3 will definitely have people supporting it en masse.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  20. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if the auction house lets me spend in game currency as well as real world, i'm cool with that. its when you get real money exclusives i get pissed off.

21. bucketface

bucketface New Member

Thanks Received:
    agreed, it's all well and good when you can pay ingame currency or real money for stuff but limmiting some things to real money is not the way to go.

22. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    You contradict yourself... wow cata was a bad game.. that shipped.. and most players agree changed wow for the worst.