• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dimmdrive gaming ramdrive 10.000MB/s

PerpetualVoid

"Very Worth It"??!

800$-1000$$ and up . So Battlefield or World of Whichcraft loads in 20 seconds instead of 45 seconds??
I MUST respectfully disagree that it would be "Very Worth it". or Even slightly worth it. Hell, Keep the 10-30 seconds, it's plain NOT worth it. RAM is @ a Ridiculous high right now, NO load time is worth 128GB of RAM ..

You misunderstand 2k + is what I'm talking about here and it was more of a, it's a better option if you are thinking about enterprise class pcie 8x raid ssd. Which run at 2.1GB/s. Or a Few Samsung pros in RAID 0.

And load times on WOW or BF would be reduced to less than 5 seconds probably closer to 1 second. That's with DDR 1333. If WOW and BF are your main games then I wouldn't bother. Go buy an old early 2000 laptop. That'll run wow in full shiney and cost less than what you have now. If you are building a budget rig then SSD all the way is what I would say. This is enthusiast level stuff, where price has about 1% to do with making a decision.

I would say in about 1 maybe 2 years everyone is going to be going RAMdrive. Right now DDR4 is not at max capacity and it's very expensive, but the price will drop just as DDR3 did. Once AMD makes a new chipset for DDR4 Intel will release whatever they already have waiting and DDR3 will be phased out. By that point Single 32GB sticks will be hitting the market and 8 or 16 GB sticks will be the bottom of the barrel. So that price boundry isn't going to be forever and we will be seeing Desktop boards begin to support 256 and 512 GB of RAM. At that point you would be fool not to have a RAMDisk.

My point was to let you all know that it is a massive performance increase. No you won't see much of a FPS increase maybe 1 FPS every once in a while. What you will not see so much anymore would be tearing and lag spikes as the GPU queries ram for textures that are there that normally aren't and it has to wait for the bus and HDD/SSD to catch up. Smoother more fluid gameplay :) Which is what we all really want. Preferably at 144hz +

SATA 6G has a theoretical limit of 750MB/s transfer rate. Probably more like 700MB/s including overhead. Next iteration will be a whopping 250MB/s more for a grand total of 1000MB/s theoretical max. RAM on an x99 based system has a theoretical limit of 5000MB/s so still 5 times that of SATA 10g which hasn't even really come out yet. Random read is what we gamers want and we can get 1000 - 1300 MB/s random read from a RAMDisk. With the right software. By comparison high end SSDs run at about 30MB/s maybe 50MB/s tops.

And while it may seem irrelevant to the desktop crowd, and it is, the largest and most obvious showcase would be in 3DSmax or AutoCAD. Devs have been using RAMdisks for years. It cuts hours off of rendering times, and since they are using server Motherboards with 128GB+ of ram already anyway it makes sense.

We can argue back and forth all you want, but in the end RAMdisk is faster. That's my point. I'm just trying to educate so people can make a decision. The vast majority of people out there right now are perfectly content with their SSD. And that's fine. But what isn't fine is when people downplay the massive performance increase that RAMdisks give.

On a side note, here is the fastest random read free disk software out there.
https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Im content with My 840 Pro and Raptor.

PerpetualVoid

Even if RAMdisks did anything (as in, improved loading performance over SSDs), just the simple fact I'd have to copy tens of gigabytes onto them each time I reboot the PC is a big no for me. Besides, SSD is all I need. Hell, it's not doing anything most of the time a game is loading anyway. The HDD LED hardly lights up for longer than 5 seconds, and yet it takes like 30 seconds for BF4 to load up.
In very unscientific conclusion - there's absolutely no reason to increase theoretical speeds any further when you already have a SSD. If you don't, buy one.
Price difference between buying 64GB or so DDR3 and a SSD: fucking fortune. Real performance gained from such RAMdisk: none.

If we want to argue scientific my point is very scientific. Your point is scientific as well, based on price. Mine on performance. SSD loses in horrible in performance, RAMDisk loses in price. Real performance gained is always a relative view anyway. You don't see it as a performance gain. I do however see it as one. Are you really going to tell me if you had millions of dollars to spend that you wouldn't get a RAMDisk setup over a SSD?

Point is where money isn't a concern RAMDisk IS faster and it IS a real performance gain. Wait 30 seconds once and then wait 1 second to get into game thereafter makes sense to me. I'll sit and play that game for a couple of hours before I pull it out of that ramdisk for another. 30 seconds may not seem like much, but add it up. Figure you load once every 20 minutes and you have say 300hrs of BF on file that adds up to, 7.5 hrs you have sat in loading screens. By contrast it's only roughly 2 hours with a ramdisk. That's including a rough estimate of 30 seconds every 2 hours for a reload into ram. Pretty conservative estimate. So 5.5 hours of life back I get to spend elsewhere ( but I'll probably just spend it playing games ). Worth it to me. I keep hardware for at least 7 years. My current hardware is pushing 10 years ( I need new stuff ;) ). Time is money and well, 5.5 x 7 is a little under a weeks pay, which makes up for the initial cost over a ten year period. Assuming you only play 300 hours of games a year. That just isn't true though. Most of us, me included, play way more than 300 hrs.

How much is your time worth to you?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
The only one arguing here is you bub. You need to go outside and get a woman.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64

PerpetualVoid

Even if RAMdisks did anything (as in, improved loading performance over SSDs), just the simple fact I'd have to copy tens of gigabytes onto them each time I reboot the PC is a big no for me. Besides, SSD is all I need. Hell, it's not doing anything most of the time a game is loading anyway. The HDD LED hardly lights up for longer than 5 seconds, and yet it takes like 30 seconds for BF4 to load up.
In very unscientific conclusion - there's absolutely no reason to increase theoretical speeds any further when you already have a SSD. If you don't, buy one.
Price difference between buying 64GB or so DDR3 and a SSD: fucking fortune. Real performance gained from such RAMdisk: none.

Are you seriously basing your load time on your HDD light.......

I'm not trying to convince you to go out and spend thousands. In fact more than once I've said that you are right the price/performance value is entirely up to each individual. You are happy with your SSD. If you can't see the bottleneck of SATA that's on you. Fact of the matter is, REAL performance is there whether you like it or not.

Beyond that have fun in your corner troll. K BAI

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
Right. Registered today, using 1337speek, posting breakthrough findings about something noone is using for 10 or more years for a good reason. Whoever doesn't agree is a troll. Makes sense.

PerpetualVoid

Right. Registered today, using 1337speek, posting breakthrough findings about something noone is using for 10 or more years for a good reason. Whoever doesn't agree is a troll. Makes sense.

I'm sorry Maths are leet speek to you. Registration date, really? Doesn't make what I've said any less true.

Processor FX6350@4.2ghz-i54670k@4ghz
Video Card(s) HD7850-R9290
arguing aside.. I read ages ago you can set windows to stay in ram.. seems like it could be good but there is always argument of the worth.

I did try radeon ramdisk before but I only had 8gb of ram at the time so I put my browser cache on it.. wasn't really anything special to me.

maybe the way microsoft manages resources these days there is just not much of a benefit. I don't use linux but maybe it is more useful there.

PerpetualVoid

arguing aside.. I read ages ago you can set windows to stay in ram.. seems like it could be good but there is always argument of the worth.

I did try radeon ramdisk before but I only had 8gb of ram at the time so I put my browser cache on it.. wasn't really anything special to me.

maybe the way microsoft manages resources these days there is just not much of a benefit. I don't use linux but maybe it is more useful there.

Alot depends on the software you are using to make the ramdisk as well. dataram/radeon is mid range. Make a server and put that on a ramdisk and watch most of the lag disappear.

that's interesting.. so servers can benefit witch makes since.

before I had a ssd I had thought about getting more ram for the page file but I realized that is probably a dumb idea lol

in my experience with windows anyway is there is no need to turn off core parking when you have it on a ssd but with a hdd.. core parking is damn aggressive by default it can make you think a hdd is useless.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Go read the Fair Use Policy on double posting.
Also arrogance such as yours leads to folly.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Wait 30 seconds once and then wait 1 second to get into game thereafter makes sense to me.

That's not how a RAMDisk works. At all in fact. You're horribly overestimating the performance gains from a RAMDisk drive, and I don't think you understand the concept of bottlenecks. You can dump as many games on a 20000 terabyte RAMDisk for all I care, those games still aren't going to load in 2 seconds flat no matter what you do. Storage is only a bottleneck because it's the slowest. Once you remove the slowest bottleneck, the second slowest hardware becomes the new bottleneck. Because of this, a game will never load in 1 second, instead, your CPU or your GPU will become a bottleneck, because unsurprisingly, loading assets requires processor usage. It doesn't matter if your RAM can load data in 1 second, if your processor can only load it as fast as 10 seconds.

EDIT: If you're playing multiplayer games it makes even less sense. Why? Because it doesn't matter how fast you load, you still have to wait for everybody else to.

You can find this out in real world performance. I'm assuming you've used a RAMDisk before, although judging by your overestimations I don't think you have. I've loaded several games onto a RAMDisk, most of which had their load times cut by a small amount. For a brief example, I would load a mere 2 seconds faster than everyone else in my League of Legends match, but it still took 5 or 6 seconds to get to that 100%. Taking away 2 seconds from 8 is not worth $8000 dollars or whatever your currency is. The key is a well balanced system, so that there is no one slowest point in a PC. Until then, the RAMDisk idea is fun in essence for gamers, but relatively useless.

Funny you should bring up servers though. Corporations and businesses do use RAMDisks (I know, because I work for one), but only for mass databases. You'll find your ISP or telephone provider or Gas company has a multitude of servers, although most of them get their databases loaded from RAMDisks to deal with the hundreds if not thousands of data-calls they get from all the support centres and call centres. The key difference is that these companies tend to make millions, and the investment of a few tens of thousands of dollars to ensure their support can load a customer's data within 10 seconds, instead of 2 minutes, is far far more costly and important to them. It's also worth noting they use ECC RAM, or special RAM designed for that very purpose, because functionally domestic DDR3 RAM is not a sensible place to put your data.

How much is your time worth to you?

I take the short loading times as a good chance to catch up on eating/drinking, or even drawing. It's also a useful time for me to take notes if I'm reviewing, and also skip a track on my shuffled playlist.

Make a server and put that on a ramdisk and watch most of the lag disappear.

I don't know what this means. Lag = Latency. RAMDisks will not improve network latency.

Last edited:
I just took it as he meant lag like seek time being a little frustrated..

how does ram disk compare to like a pci ssd for a server?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Its funny like 8-10 years ago gigabyte had a ram dimm drive with a cr 2032 back up battery. Now there are pcie ssds which are not on the slower sata port and even faster than your so called ramdisk. Windows 7 has plenty fast boot time on my 840 pro. Btw insulting any member here gets you out the door quicker than anything

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I just took it as he meant lag like seek time being a little frustrated..

how does ram disk compare to like a pci ssd for a server?

Ah that makes sense.

The fastest RAMDisk software can read at around 8500MB/s (On 1600mhz memory) SOURCE, the fastest PCIe x4 SSD can read around 1600MB/s on Gen 2 and 2150MB/s on Gen3. Obviously write speeds are marginally slower on both in real world performance. Read/Write speeds mean very little to me, it's all about the IOPS if you're after snappy Windows and software performance.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
I can't believe anybody would actually be gullible enough to fall for this shit
there is ZERO BENEFIT TO THIS

Yeah, just look at this "advertising" blurb on their HP: "It's a Ramdisk built with steam integration in mind. It does seem to have occasional issues, but the developer actively fixes them. High RAM recommended"
Time to "let off some steam"! :D

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.

With a server there can be gains with a ramdisk, been there tried it and games like Arma 3 didi's and very high spawns a ramdisk can go a long way is you use hardlinks to fool the OS were the actual file is located.

How ever this can only be done with files that are not changing all the time as this would mean making a iso every time.

Last edited:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
With a server there can be gains with a ramdisk, been there tried it and games like Arma 3 didi's and very high spawns a ramdisk can go a long way is you use hardlinks to fool the OS were the actual file is located.

How ever this can only be done with files that are not changing all the time as this would mean making a iso time time.
exactly ram-disks are usefull for large database cache ... not much else volatile storage.. is volatile

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
exactly ram-disks are usefull for large database cache ... not much else volatile storage.. is volatile

For the actual gamer no point, in fact more often than not SSD's speed annoys me when game loading due to missing the hints lol.

Skyrim anyone ?.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
For the actual gamer no point, in fact more often than not SSD's speed annoys me when game loading due to missing the hints lol.

Skyrim anyone ?.

I load all my games to the raptor, os on ssd lol.

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I remember running a ramdisc on my Acorn Archimedes back in the 80s. This feature was supported natively by RISC OS and was epically fast, especially compared to the really slow HDDs of the day. Incredibly, the IDE interface on that computer was even slower, so that ramdisc really made a difference, lol.

Ah, just showing my age. :p

Recognize the CPU in it? Yes, it all started here. ;)

I remember running a ramdisc on my Acorn Archimedes back in the 80s. This feature was supported natively by RISC OS and was epically fast, especially compared to the really slow HDDs of the day. Incredibly, the IDE interface on that computer was even slower, so that ramdisc really made a difference, lol.

Ah, just showing my age. :p

Recognize the CPU in it? Yes, it all started here. ;)

I want one to play tetris and pong on! plus it would be nice to boast about epic ramdisk performance haha