1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Disabling Powerplay at BIOS level - HD6870 DD

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by SteDodd, Sep 17, 2012.

1. SteDodd New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone

I've got a very strange problem, I have an XFX HD6870 DD here that artifacts only when in an idle state (for example it's doing it right now) but if I load up a game/benchmark (such as unigine heaven DX11) the artifcats disappear completely and stay gone for about a minute after closing the application

I reflashed the card with a stock rom I found on this site (link here) and the lowest powerplay setting is 100/150 which seems really low anyway

The card I'm using is the 1Gb dual mini displayport DD model number - HD-687A-ZD and part number HD-687A-ZDFS

I tried opening up the bios in RBE and changing the clock info 01 (the lowest powerplay setting) but any change in the values causes a BSOD on reboot (also, I thought memory clock was supposed to remain at max i.e. 1050 throughout all powerplay modes? it's 1050mhz for all the other modes but only 150 at clock info 01)

I'm fairly sure either disabling powerplay completely (so having the card run at 900/1050 continuously) or just increasing the clocks on the lowest setting (maybe to something like 300/1050) would completely cure the issue

tl;dr artifacting card, artifacts go away when load is applied to card, artifacts return when load stops, the card does not crash at all just sits artifacting away

thanks for any help guys

2. UbErN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not what you're looking for though do you have any warranty left on the card? I would rather RMA than try and fix an issue with a stock card. Alternatively you can set up profiles and specify 2d/3d clocks etc with quite a few tools out there, even overdrive should allow you to do this and apply settings at startup.

3. SteDodd New Member

Thanks Received:
    No unfortunately not, I am however sure if I could just disable powerplay I'd be golden, I've read about being able to disable it using CCC profile editing but I'm looking for a more permanent solution so I only have to do it once

essentially my issue is that when I try and bump the clock speed of clock info 01 from 100/150 to anything higher I get BSOD, even if I try and set it at 100/1050 (so stock ram clock)

am I misunderstanding how to edit the clock info 01? I'm opening it up in RBE, changing the values (trying for 300/1050 which seems like a more applicable lower limit) and then flashing the bios back

4. UbErN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    So you don't have warranty? have you also tried changing the clocks with software instead of flashing the bios? like I said you can apply changes at startup so you don't have to constantly keep applying profiles etc.

5. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    use ati traytools and setup a 2d/3d clock profile
    /solved

6. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

+1 UbErN00b +1 OneMoar

Try this - open catalyst control centre [Preferences-Advanced View] select - performance/AMD Overdrive (leave this option open)

go to Presets/add Preset;Fill in Name e.g: Default vid OC /Location remove all ticks;select Save

NEXT

Goto Control Panel\ folder options/view - select - Show hidden files and folders

NEXT

open Computer/ explore C:\Users\*Your user profile*\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles/you should see your newly created Default vid OC.xml

NEXT

Highlite - Default vid OC.xml - press right hand mouse button - select edit

you will see - Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0

<Property name="Want_0" value="15700" />
    <Property name="Want_1" value="55000" />
    <Property name="Want_2" value="85000" />

raise the Want_0 value from 15700 to 40000 [40000=400Mhz]
    this will adjust your core clock once you are in the windows enviroment and allows you to continue using AMD's Ulps settings.

atb (all the best)

Law-II

7. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    BEWARE make sure you make backups some cards don't take kindly to this modification it might bsod/fail to boot usually works tho ... just a warning