1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Disappearing Drives

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by slaakker, Apr 15, 2007.

1. slaakker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Howdy. I'll try to make this to the point as possible. Please excuse the long explanation.

Recently, when my computer goes into standby, my secondary hard drive disappears when the computer reboots. I searched all over and have tried a few things to diagnose the problem.

The drive is on an IDE cable and when I swapped the ide cable with the dvd rom drives, they disappeared. The connection is to the secondary IDE connection on my motherboard (I have two connections). I know the cable is good because I used a different cable with same results. I also made sure I had the latest bios.

The most recent change I made is added a raid0 as the main hard drive which I boot from. I just recovered from a hard drive crash. I'm not sure if that is related.

I also get this message in the system log...

The device 'Lite-On LTN486 48x Max' (IDE\CdRomLite-On_LTN486__48x_Max_________________YD01____\6&2193ede4&0&0.1.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

The message is the same when the secondary hard drive is plugged into that connection.

I also hear from time to time a "click" from one of the hard drives in the machine but don't know which one and chkdsk shows no errors.

You don't think my motherboard is failing? Hope not, it is only 5 months old.

I have Asus p5w deluxe mobo. 2gb ram. Dual maxtor 160gb raid0. Maxtor 300gb secondary hard drive IDE. Windows XP 32bit. Most recent bios update from Asus. Intel duo 6400. Nvidia 7600 video card.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think that secondary IDE connector is for a different setup, Check mobo manuel pages 2-23 thru 2-24. Also could be a simple mistake in the BIOS setup, I believe thats in section 7 of the mobo manuel. Very confusing instructions on that Mobo for that secondary slot.:banghead: :D
  3. slaakker New Member

Thanks Received:
    The funny part is that the only hardware chang I have made is replacing the original ide hard drive and put in a raid. It worked before with same setup except raid. It did the same thing when I put the DVD Rom cable on that spot to see if it would happen to the drives on that cable. Everything booted fine and ran until standby mode woke up.
  4. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    I would guess its a driver issue. That IDE port is connected to the Jmicron JMB363 controller, the other one is on the ICH7 which is why it doesnt have the same issue. Easy solution would be replace the drive with a SATA drive. You think its making the clicking sound so you might aswell replace it before it fails.
  5. slaakker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Any idea why it would just start all of a sudden? Only HW change has been getting rid of main IDE drive on same cable and adding the sata raid. Think there might be a conflict between the SATA raid on the intel controller and the Jmicron?

I looked for a new driver for the jmicron but asus has a bunch of drivers but I am unsure what I need. They are listed as raid drivers unless I missed something.

Another question. Can a bad motherboard cause a hard drive failure? The main drive just failed which is why I went to the raid and now the click I hear sounds like the click when the computer parks the hard drive but it happens every once in a while. Can this come from a bad motherboard?
  6. slaakker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Guess this is a new one to most. After talking to Asus they are sending me a new motherboard. All they can figure is that the controller went bad.

We'll see when I get it.