1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Disappearing SSD Syndrome

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Hood, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    I tried to shut down my PC last night, just to clear memory and because it had been running for 3 days straight, and it got hung on the "Shutting Down" screen for over 10 minutes, so I killed it with the power button. I guess I killed it alright, because the missing boot manager message is all that would come up. Went into Bios and the SSD boot drive was missing. I'm thinking, here we go again (this Crucial M4 is a replacement for the OCZ Vertex 4 that died after 15 days). Swapped SATA ports, rebooted, and it recogcnized it. Swapped them back to the original ports, and still recognizing the drive. But now Windows had a problem locating the boot files, so I had to repair the boot sector with a Windows Repair Disc, and fix other problems like the 100 MB "System Reserved" partition that suddenly showed up in Windows Explorer after I restored a drive image.
    Anyway, my question is, is anyone else having the disappearing drive problem, and how did you fix it? I'm getting tired of working on this machine every 2 weeks when my brand new SSD decides to exit cyberspace and seek a new life as a paperweight! I never had this problem with mechanical hard drives; SSD's are great, but not worth the trouble if you can't buy one that stays connected. I have a new system with all new parts, that all work great and are completely compatible with each other, which worked perfectly until 2 months in when I installed the first SSD. When that Vertex 4 failed, I asked the salesman which brand and model was experiencing the least amount of returns, and he pointed at the Crucial M4's. Everything I've read since backs up that assessment. 35 days later, the M4 exhibits the same symptoms. I've done all the tweaks for SSD boot drives, and I have the latest firmware, and all my drivers and Windows updates are fresh. Any suggestions or similar anecdotes will be much appreciated.

2. mauriek

Thanks Received:
    similar thing just happened to me few days ago, my Windows Hung and after hard reboot, BIOS find my Patriot Pyro 120GB SSD but it keep disappearing from windows explorer after a while, change it to Fujitsu 120GB SSD but after a while it happened again, change it to Kingston SSD 30GB repair with windows repair disc, reboot and after a while it disappear again, last night i change it to Pyro SE 240 and change all 10 of my Sata cable, reinstall fresh and now it seem ok (12 hours), maybe it is my sata cable shorting, because later when i use my old cable one of my drive will disappear, too lazy check one by one because i sleeve 10 sata cable to 1, but i'm still not sure, to tired to test it again for now.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I also wondered about the cables, but all are new Asus SATA 6 GB/s cables, and all appeared to be tightly inserted. After I fixed it, I found this post on the Crucial forum;

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-S...-that-wouldn-t-detect-in-the-BIOS/td-p/110964

I haven't needed it yet, but it looks like others have had great success with this method, and it's dirt simple, so next time my SSD goes on vacation, I'm gonna try it. Since this seems to be a very common problem, I wonder why Crucial and others aren't addressing this problem with new firmware. I have the same 010G firmware that others with the same problem have; they started having problems only after they updated to 010G. If it happens again I will consider back dating the firmware as others have done.

hrobky says thanks.
  4. jgunning

jgunning

Thanks Received:

5. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    It's happened again, this time because the power suddenly shut off in my neighborhood. After reboot, SSD not recognized in BIOS. After 2 or 3 reboots it starts recognizing it again, but I forgot to change the boot priority after the drive came back, but after a few more boots I finally remembered, and it booted okay. I'm thinking that this problem is related to UEFI bugs, because it's like the partition table is corrupted when you shut down hard and dirty, but only for the SSD (or maybe the Windows boot drive, but never happened with HDD). Apparently this happens with other brands as well, and I'm sure that most of the drives people return as failed are really just going through the same thing, and could have been easily fixed. The only thing I can do is email Asus and Crucial and post on their forums until they fix it with a firmware or BIOS update. EDIT - I did try setting the SSD to hot-swappable in the SATA section of BIOS, maybe this will prevent losing the drive? I'll let ya'll know.

6. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    What firmware are you running? If it's oldrt than 10g that's your problem. Recently had this issue with my m4.

7. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Yep, that's the first thing I did when I bought the drive, update to 010G. I hope they're working on the next update, and are aware of this issue. It could also be a UEFI BIOS problem, since it won't recognize a drive that subsequently works fine. I'm going to check their websites to see what others are saying.

8. hrobky New Member

Thanks Received:
    Solution, that works also for notebooks
    Great thank you for the link, it inspired me! I unplugged the power cord, removed the battery and tried to turn on the computer few times, to be sure that all remaining energy in the capacitors got discharged. Disk and fan can move, as they are attempting to start. Then I connected the battery again and turned on the computer. SSD got recognized again!

I am on ultra thin Acer Aspire S3, where removing disk could be quite a challenge. I discovered, that disconnecting the battery worked just fine. On the image attached is the battery power cable depicted by the red arrow.

P1032160.JPG

My story
    This problem occurs also on hybrid drives. The Hitachi drive inside my notebook is detected as two separate disk drives (not partitions) in Windows (diskmgmt.msc). The BIOS screen is very poor on this model. You can adjust the time, switch IDE/AHCI and that's basically it. I'm using AHCI. The SSD NVRAM caching is provided via 3rd party software (ExpressCache) from factory.
    I correctly turned the computer off when the battery was under 5%. Next day I connected the power adapter, turned on the computer and discovered, that there is no boot device (???). So I booted from USB, installed Windows, the "F6 SATA/AHCI controller" driver, and all the remaining drivers. The SSD disk was not recognized during the setup now, although during the original setup it was.
    In diskmgmt there was just one disk (used to be two). Then I found this forum, the solution and rebooted. (pity, that AFTER the reinstall)
    Afterwards, there were both disks detected, and the "System Reserved" partition got recreated on the SSD drive. Maybe the purpose is to be the active partition and in case of accidentally booting from SSD to jump to the system drive. But I don't understand why is 100 MB partition necessary for this. Even more interesting is that it is NTFS formatted and is empty (with 28 MB used). There might reside the bootmgr's BCDs. But quit my hypothesis...

Few weeks before this crash I was trying to extend the ExpressCache partition (type 0x73) on the SSD drive, so I stopped the ExpressCache service, deleted all partitions on the SSD drive, rebooted (too see if I've done something terrible), everything was working so I dedicated the whole drive to the ExpressCache partition (command: eccmd -partition) and started the service. Everything went well, after reboot the cache was working properly. So I was living as before.
    When the SSD disappeared I was blaming my experiments. I thought, that after deleting the "System Reserved" partition the data remained on disk and the crash occurred after a while, when the EC had rewritten the space originally occupied. When the windows setup did not detect the SSD drive, I was blaming the setup. When the SSD was originally partitioned setup displayed the type 0x73 partition as "OEM preloaded" or something similar. But when the newly installed system and EC did not detect the drive I started to search the forums...

Although, removing the "System Reserved" partition might not be the cause, I'm not planning to do it again. It's just 100 MB of an 18 GB drive.

Maybe if I have time, I will image the partition and zero it to see what happens. But it's not on my agenda right now...

Again thanks for the link!
    This battery trick helped me once with the unable to charge problem. I did not expect it to solve also the SSD problem.

jgunning says thanks.