1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Disappearing Textures in Crysis

Discussion in 'Games' started by SinxarKnights, Mar 16, 2008.

1. SinxarKnights New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello. I am having a small issue that maybe someone can help me with. I have been playing Crysis a lot lately (out of sheer boredom) and recently I have been having a few problems.

My Rig:
    MSI 8800GT 512MB
    ECS RS485M-M
    AMD 5600+ X2
    A-Data 2GB RAM (2x 1GB - 5-5-5-15-2T)
    Seagate 7200.10 250GB SATA HDD
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    I also have the Crysis patch

The first problem I had has been solved by deleting the Crysis folder in the "My Games" folder. The issue was that it took (literally) 25 minutes to save. As you can guess, it was unplayable.

Now on to the new one.

I reset all the settings to "Default" then kept the res at 1024x768 and enabled 8x AA. Then I set all graphics settings to "Medium". At first it was running great. Now it seems that whenever I use the Precision Rifle or anything with a scope, textures turn transparent. ALL textures EXCEPT the ground texture disappears!

This is after a reinstall of the game (hoping to fix it, also deleted the Crysis folder and the one in the "My Games" folder before reinstalling) and a defrag. I also did chkdisk (both options checked, nothing wrong with the filesystem or the drive). Memtest comes out clean and nothing is overclocked. None of that worked. Im assuming that is due to the AA being enabled because I usually don't even try to use it. Is this a known issue or is it just me?

If its just me any suggestions on how to fix it?

And it only does it with AA enabled at any resolution

2. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    8x is pretty high for crysis, try backing it off a little. What r your gpu temps? Sounds like overheating.

3. SinxarKnights New Member

Thanks Received:
    According to nTune, my idle temp is 49C after playing and seeing the missing textures and leaving the game, the graph shows that it was maxed at 61C.

I see there is the 1.2 patch out now. I didn't even know. I am downloading that now and will try it tomorrow.

The only reason I am using 8x is because at such a low res on this monitor (1280x1024 native) 6x AA still looks pretty jagged. The 8800GT is capable of using 8x at 1024x768 with excellent FPS so I figure, why not?

Oh I have this 8800GT - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127329

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  4. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea the patch may fix that, like I said try 6x, that should be enough to clean up most of the ailiasing anyway. Also, I would recommend downloading rivatuner or ati tool, ntune is crap and its temps shouldn't be trusted.

5. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Still. 8XAA will probably mess up some textures. Try running it at 2X or 4X and see if it solves the problem.

6. SinxarKnights New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, at 4x it doesn't happen. 2x it does. So I guess I'll wait until this patch finishes and see if that helps any.

7. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Get the patch and the latest beta driver. Seems to have corrected the problem, and the problem being nvidia drivers.

SinxarKnights says thanks.
  8. TrainingDummy

TrainingDummy

Thanks Received:
    look in the Nvidia Control panel and see if Antialiasing - transparency is turned on

9. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    There's an "Antialiasing - transparency" setting in the NCP? If it lets you see through stuff, nVidia users are cheaters :p :roll:

10. SinxarKnights New Member

Thanks Received:
    I applied the 1.2 Crysis patch and I have been unable to reproduce the issue. Maybe that was it then, I am still going to update my drivers to the beta and see how that goes. Thanks everyone who replied!

11. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:

Sinxar I have a very similar machine I'm piecing together.
    What setting are you able to use and at what res ?
    The only difference I see is I'm going to be running a 9600 GT
    and I have 3 gigs of 5300 Ram.

12. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    That would be sweet for COD 4 with Deeper Penetration perk. Has any one tried that ? Just curious ! :rockout:

13. SinxarKnights New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can run medium settings at 1280x1024 at a respectable frame rate. But I like to run it at 1152x864 with 2x AA at High settings with the water and shadows set to low and shaders set to Very High and I turn off motion blur. I turn the textures down to medium also. That way it still looks good and is still very playable. You may have to experiment with the settings to see what works for you. I have issues with the "Volumetric Effects". I usually have to turn it down to medium. If I don't, I get a headache from the low frames.

I think I seen that system you are building and I think you will be happy with it, I know I am. :). The CPU is extremely easy to get to 3.01 GHz. I haven't tried higher yet as I am still waiting on my AS5 to cure completely first.

14. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    I really haven't played the game much, but I have the SP demo running @ 1440x900 on everything low. Still everything even on low the game looks pretty good, so I could just imagine with higher settings.

15. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Actually it is an HP Pavilion a6230n.
    I am just getting rid of a few things and upgrading the important stuff.
    $600 including upgrades. I don't know how to OC CPUs.
    I don't think you can with these Machines, can you ?

16. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I had the same problem with my 2900 pro, the patch fixed it completely.

17. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i agree with DanishDevil
    that would be cool in multi player!

18. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do not use any AA in Crysis. Infact, I have no idea why one would want to use AA as the built-in edgeAA does a much better job than any conventional AA.

19. adrianx New Member

Thanks Received:
    same problem like 8800GT at lunch, try to change the name of the game in something like xxx.exe the AA will work but the performance will drop.
    In the nvidia driver is an application profiler. This profiler have setting for different game/application, so if you want to set AA 8X and the profiler will set to his default settings for that game/application :)

the second part is Crysis engine

the crysis engine can set different stage of AA to ground, buildings, water, tree, sky, vehicle.

20. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    +1 on that.

Also, you're not even running it at High. My 3870 will run Crysis at 1680x1050 with everything but volumetrics at high, with no AA and it looks fantastic.

Turn off AA completely and up the detail level first.

21. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok so this is kinda off topic but it was really weird!
    i was plying crysis the other night (alien mother ship lvl) last level that is and all of a sudden im falling through the ship! it was like someone turned clipping off or something...i was falling all the way to the ocean and the i drowned...this happed to anyone else...?