1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Disc Cloning

Discussion in 'General Software' started by OrbitzXT, Dec 28, 2007.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I mentioned to a friend that I needed to reinstall XP again and that it was annoying because I'd have to install all my games all over again then copy my MP3s that I have burned on a DVD. He said it would be better if I created an image of my hard drive when I have it cleanly installed the way I want so that if I need to reinstall, the disc cloning software could wipe the hard drive clean and essentially put the image on the HD to make it the way it was when I created the image in the first place. Is this what it really does, is it difficult to do? What software is best to do it, and are there any risks or downsides to doing this?

2. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    It's like making an ISO of a CD though you're making an image of a harddrive. Writing something to a CD-RW and then burning the image on that RW is basically the same.

3. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    there are no risks and i recommend norton ghost. if you have a spare hardrive maxtor maxblast 5 will clone any HDD over to another one just fine

4. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Right now I only have one hard drive in this computer, so I have to have a second hard drive to store the image on or is it possible to store it some other way?

5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    no you can store it on a cdr or dvdr i was just saying thats an option

6. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can the image be stored across several DVDs? I imagine my typical HD image would be about 20GB or so. Also instead of multiple DVDs, can I store the image on another computer in a home network over my wireless router?

7. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    you can connect them via a crossover cable i believe i dont know about wireless i doubt norton ghost supports that

with norton ghost you can store across several DVDs

OrbitzXT says thanks.
  8. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the quick answers, can you recommend an equally good free program? I'd like to possibly do this today since I'm bored and have some time but don't have money to be spending on software.

9. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
  10. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lastly, if I create a clone of my hard drive as it is now complete with drivers and such, what happens if at a later date I replace a piece of hardware, whether it be something small like a sound card or something more complicated like the motherboard? Can I still use the clone or is that not recommended?

11. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    you can still use the clone you will just have to install that piece of hardware again if you ever have to do a reinstall from the clone disk

12. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Reinstall the piece of hardware that was replaced? If thats what you mean that sounds like a hassle for that situation. If it comes to that where I have a clone but don't want to use it because of replaced hardware, is it possible to access the image and retrieve any files off of it such as media files instead of cloning the entire image onto the hard drive?

13. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    no you have to do a complete reclone...

as for that part its a lot easier to just uninstall/install the new piece of hardware than reinstalling ALL of your hardware from a fresh install of XP

14. zCexVe

zCexVe

Thanks Received:
    It does work.I do that and lot of my frnds.(not now)
    We use 'Hirens boot CD' which you can get from www.9down.com
    Use norton ghost from it.
    Install everything into the C: (anything basically the C: is the one contains OS)including drivers and softwares.Make an image using Norton ghost in Hirens boot CD.Will take like 20 minutes but then you can put the image back in 2 minutes.Its really easy.Also you may compress the image.It wont take many minutes to uncompress too.With just normal compression a 10G partition can be made to 6 G.

15. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    here is my situation:

drive A is 160gb

drive B is 320gb

can i image drive A onto larger drive B even though they are different sizes?

if so, can i then take the ghosted image that is on drive B and put it back onto drive A?

16. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    use maxtor maxblast 5 its a free download i did the small to large copy yesterday going froma 4fGB IDE drive to a 320GB SATA the 320 to 160 should work but im unsure