• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Discovered system BIOS mode is "legacy" not UEFI

By accident, while I was setting up a new SSD on my laptop, and reading the web I discovered a thread about UEFI with a series of precautions to take in order to guarantee UEFI mode.

I went to check my devices, and laptop and surface are indeed in UEFI mode. But my main PC, with all the requisites, 64 bit windows 8 (8.1 Update), Asus ROG Maximus V UEFI bios... is in LEGACY mode, as reported by System Information.

You should also check! It is supposed to be faster and more secure.

Now I am wondering what to do to change from Legacy to UEFI mode, and any help is much appreciated.

Edit: I found a tool http://www.paragon-software.com/home/solutions/migration.html?id=0008

Last edited:
Oh my dear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I purchased the Paragon Disk Suit 14, as it had the most complete Assitent for migrating to UEFI mode, and other tools.

Well I followed the "Assistent", and am I lucky that I made a full backup before!!!!!!

After the process finished I could not start my computer... :( I finally reinstalled Win8 and made UEFI partitions myself...