1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Discrete controller card?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by hat, Oct 20, 2012.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I recently got 2 SSDs, one 120GB for my system drive, and I just today replaced my 500GB hard drive with a 512GB Agility 4 (big dent in the wallet there :eek:). My motherboard, being an "older" 1366 board, doesn't have any native SATA 3 ports. It does have 2 SATA 3 ports, but they were tacked on with a Marvell controller like an afterthought.

If I got a cheap SATA 3 controller card, would this improve my performance? If there would be a difference, would it be worth the trouble (not looking to use RAID at all)? Would I need to reinstall Windows? Would it matter that I intend to boot off one of the drives that would be on the separate controller card?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    ok the tacked on ports arent slower than the "Native ones"

Also You pay for what you get for Plug In boards.
    hat says thanks.
  3. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I went threw the same issue. Yes SATA III is faster and boot time will show it. You could get a SATA controller but the good ones are not cheap. I opted to upgrade the system with a new board and CPU.

But really the only place I notice it is when booting (from 30 to 19 sec) and load time in BF3.
    hat says thanks.
  4. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    They're run off some sort of additional Marvell controller, which I've repeatedly heard is worse than the Intel controller. Unfortunately the ports running off the Intel controller are only SATA 2, so my best option is to use the crappy Marvell controller at the moment.

How much would I need to spend for a decent controller?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I did a little reserch and what I saw was the majority of the cheaper controller cards were ether not that fast or did not support trim. So i assumed I would have to pay more for a good one. I just used it as an excuse to upgrade
    hat says thanks.
  6. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Looks like it would cost a lot for a good controller card. Might as well get a good 1155 board that does all that shit natively and a 3770k, but that's a lot of money. I've already dumped so much money into computers and other things lately, I gotta chill out now.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Why don't you just try the card you have?
  8. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I love my 640, but it does have its own issues with SSD's and RAID, like each marvell controller only has enough bandwidth for one SSD at SATA 3 speeds and still it chokes it down a bit.
    10 Million points folded for TPU