1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Discussion : Bring back the Single Slot Cards.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by HuLkY, Mar 5, 2012.

1. HuLkY

HuLkY

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone, this is my 1st ever post here in TPUniverse :rockout:,

Why don't we see anymore the good old single slot monsters? Dual slot cooling is good we even get to have Triple slot and some time even Quad slot solutions , how about the single one?
    I made some search on Google and reached that the most powerful single GPU from nVidia single slotted "I mean Air ones, sure LCS wins" i found the GTX550 Ti i think and from AMD i found HD6870 from AFox.

moving on to 28nm and may be late this year we get to see smaller dies too, I've checked the entire lineup of the HD7870, it got great thermals, but why can't we get such power in a single slot cooling?! :confused: I think 28nm is not heating that much after all compared to the old 40nm stuff and beyond.
  2. Inceptor

Inceptor

Thanks Received:
    There will probably be single slot variants of the 7850 and 77xx in a few months, at a bit of a price premium vs prices at that time, of course.

But really, a single slot card is something that has a limited market; HTPCs and other lower power builds. And the fans are usually fairly loud.
  3. HuLkY

HuLkY

Thanks Received:
    umm, but can't we just have single slot higher cards?!
    judging what i saw, the HD7870 is way better deal than the HD7850, imagine slapping two single slot HD7870 in a Vulcan case, Asus Gene mobo with 3770K oced to 5GHz+! Power house for sure.

also why cooling companies can't come up with something single slotted as after market solution? sounds weird they just can pump up solutions eating space!
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I remember reading a ways back about single slot coolers just not cutting it and leading to many returns. I think companies are trying to protect their sales by supplying sufficient cooling. That being said, we should hopefully see single slot variants of the 7 series.

Look here: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_3850_1_GB/21.html

That 3850 has a single slot cooler and put out over 200 watts of heat. The 7870 according to W1zzard only uses 144 watts maximum. Then again you have to consider things like VRM's and the heat they put out.

*Oh there is a ss 7750 on the market right now. PowerColor AX7750 1GBD5-DH Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-...

And welcome to TPU HuLkY! :toast:
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
    HuLkY says thanks.
  5. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    +1

BUT, recently some company started making WIDER pcb's (in normal cases there is always free-wasted space there....)

Just make the medium-high range footprint as big as the top of the line models, make them wider, with a bigger headsink, wider + more fans and maybe there is a possibility. Result: a video card looking not like a triple cheesburger but like an italian pizza... :p
  6. HuLkY

HuLkY

Thanks Received:
    Thanks a lot for the welcome bro, rock on :rockout:

Yup, that is what i was saying, even making this better they can use better memeory chips like the ones Galaxy using with the GTX560 Ti White Edition one, this will be hell of a deal, ass to this the 28nm flavour, we got a winner for sure, and cooling companies need some encouragement from the companies to provide such solutions, that would be amazing.

and erixx, you are right, i began to hate the Tri Slot solutions, killing a lot of potential for combining a lot of options together.
  7. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Single slot:

[​IMG]
  8. HuLkY

HuLkY

Thanks Received:
    hi in there man, good to see you :)

Liquid Cooling till now costs a lot of money/care, remember how pretty was the 8800GT?!

[​IMG]
  9. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That was a very loud card. I remember how after extended gaming sessions, the noise of that card rang in my ears for hours (like after getting off a long-distance flight). I think that's essentially the problem with high-performance single-slot air-cooled graphics cards. There's lesser metal, more heat, so more air-flow is required, and the lateral-flow fan has to keep up.
    Frick says thanks.
  10. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I use a single slot 5770, perfectly fine card.
  11. HuLkY

HuLkY

Thanks Received:
    I've had this card too, this card in particular had an issue, but i remember i had a bios update for it, and come on man :D , it wasn't that loud in case you played Crysis back these days, this loudness thing can be avoided now , and the heat too thanks to the 28nm thing.

Single 5770, way to go! i remember i saw a quad fire review for it @ Guru3D, right?
  12. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    my SLI'ed GT9600XXX's looked the same as that 8800. And IIRC, the proline called Quadro are still made that way.

Mine were most loud only on boot up, when they went 100% until the windows driver turned in. (and benchmarking also, obviously; gaming was lesser).
    Back then it was extremely important:
    1) keep them really clean inside
    2) feed them really fresh air, not some shitty air coming from HDD boxes or CPU.

Theorically thermicals are much better today, so the original poster has a point. Edit: Welcome bro! :)
    HuLkY says thanks.
  13. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    No clue, I had a 260/216 until a few weeks ago which did everything I wanted it to. I replaced my main system with a s1155 mITX system though, so I needed something with comparable performance and a single slot cooler. I found a cheap 5770 and went with that.
  14. HuLkY

HuLkY

Thanks Received:
  15. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    nice but what I do is: just do not put HDD's in the lower part of the front section (where an input fan is normally), remove any obstacles there (hdd cages, boxes, mechanisms) and voilá you have fresh air in the lower part of your case. There is always room to put 4 HDD's elsewhere, like in the obsolete CD-DVD drives slots, which always are plenty (don't understand why cases with 4 of those slots are still being made, toasting era is kaput men!!!! it is now used for many other things). Another example are those ready build pc's that only have 1 extraction fan, but I doubt that any TPU'er dares to use that evar! :)
  16. HuLkY

HuLkY

Thanks Received:
  17. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    This. Had that card as well for a while, i replaced the cooler after a cople of days.
  18. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    So basicly you want alot of noise and heat due to single slot cards
    I really like dual slot coolers, there are just spot on
  19. Ellis New Member

Thanks Received:
    But my single slot 8800GT was loud and ran very hot. My dual slot GTX 460 is quiet and runs cool. Personally, I can see no reason to want a single slot card unless you're building a small form factor PC, in which case you're unlikely to want a really high end card anyway.
  20. HuLkY

HuLkY

Thanks Received:
    About the Heat/Noise thing, I think the new 28nm will handle such a thing, back to GF8 Family, the 8800GT had a fan issue, i had EVGA card and they released a BIOS for it to make the Fan Adjustable, i might be noisy and emitting a lot of heat, but compared to its bigger brothers, it was a mighty winner that OCed it ate the 8800GTX and that is why we got a GTS 512MB Edition, this is a history thing

having a single slot card will provide many cons/pros, shall we see?

1 - you will have the ability to SLI or CF two or three cards in a very small system.
    2 - if you want to add extra cards like sound cards, NIC, or even an SSD on PCI Express, this will be so much easy.
    3 - won't cost a lot like LCS solutions.

but on the other hand, it might cause:
    1 - no big room for OCing like other solutions.
    2 - the looks of the card itself.
    3 - better cooling.

@Ellis
    Imagine having a 3960X on ASUS RIVG + 3 * HD7950 Tri Fire for example, got my point?
  21. mrb00m

mrb00m New Member

Thanks Received:
    The last single slot i had was the 8800gt like above , i had it two days and the temps were hitting 95c :eek: in game and the noise was worse than a phenom 2 stock fan(and that's bad) .
    Third day in i went and got a zalman vf9oo the temps dropped to 65c under load and i could game without headphones to block out the fan noise;) i dont miss single slots and i'l never use one again , i wont even buy a card with stock cooling!
  22. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    Heat is still an issue. Chips still run very hot--the 28nm thing has only increased the amount of transistors they pack in the same space. Your logic only applies if they weren't making more powerful video cards than they were in the days of the 8800GT.
  23. HuLkY

HuLkY

Thanks Received:
    Weird, i saw many people giving nice feed back on Newegg.com for a 450GTS single slotted.
    sure to have a single slot GTX680 is like mad thing to wish for, but REALLY can't cooling experts come up with something "NOT-A-COSTY-THING" can eat up the heat?
  24. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I don't really see the point in single slot cards. Any mobo now days you can CF or SLI with dual slot coolers just fine. Unless you plan on running Mini-ITX, and even then some of those have the PCI-E slot high enough on the mobo to fit a dual slot card. Single slot just seems pointless, if you want a Mini-ITX and need single slot, get the 7750 like erocker posted, it's more than enough for a media server setup or some lower settings gaming.
  25. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Single slots are a terrible idea. Those little blowers fail really easily in real world usage. They just clog up too fast.