1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dishonored-Why to buy it

Discussion in 'Games' started by 1nf3rn0x, Oct 14, 2012.

1. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, this isn't what I usually do, but just making you all aware of a gem of a game. Dishonored from Bethesda. I've played roughly 3 hours of it(saying this just after stopping), and let me tell you I didn't want to stop playing it. :laugh: It's such an amazing game, the dialogue is great, the graphics are beautiful and soft. The game mechanics are amazing and the amount of things you can upgrade and have all these new powers and gear is crazy. :toast: The game gives you so much choice, if you wish to kill everyone you can, or go all stealth you can do that aswell. You can finish the whole game without killing anyone. The game has some little puzzles found in HL2 and you have to think about how your going to plan your attack, as the more people you kill, the worse this "plague" becomes. There's powers that allow you to see people through walls, "blink" from one place to another, eye optics, just so much! You can jump down and perform an assassination or sneak behind the enemy and strangle them till they are out cold.

The gameplay mechanics are flawless and the controls remind me of Skyrim. This game is really deep as the atmosphere helps delve you deeper into the game.

Trust me guys, this is a must buy! :D
    Super XP, NHKS and BumbleBee say thanks.
  2. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I heard the game was good but has some problems. the story falls short. a lot of celebrity voice actors but they don't use them enough. the A.I is bad and the difficulty system only increases A.I damage. if you try and play the game like an action game you will probably not like it and it will be short.

XCOM on the other hand is amazing.
    alexsubri says thanks.
  3. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I've played mostly through on one run. It's probably going to get similar reaction RAGE did for a lot of people. Similarities include dystopian setting, low res textures, under fleshed RPG elements, similar art concepts, and from what I've heard, a lackluster ending.

That said, where the game really shines is in the many paths you can explore in getting through the game world and most missions have more than one way you can complete them, often tying in with side missions when you want to use every viable option.

The game is unique, yet weird. It's got some stuff in it as far as weapons NPCs use that just defies explanation. One of them highlights when dropped but cannot be picked up. I'm doubting it's usable by players because there's nothing about it in the weapons and upgrades info. I'm wondering if it will be in future installments or DLC though.

They appear to have purposely dumbed down the graphics via softening textures and desaturating colors to emphasize the dystopian, plague driven theme. There ARE some useful file edits that can be done to noticeably improve image quality however.

I recommend editing DishonoeredEngine.ini to set AF to 16, AA to 2 or more, Ambient Occlusion to True, and Detail Mode to 4. I also recommend turning up the color warmth on your monitor or TV a bit to counteract the washed out effect. It makes the colors look more natural with better contrast, which in turn improves the look of the lighting.

To be fair, I have to end by saying I like this game so far much better than RAGE, and I also feel it will likely have more replay value.
    NHKS says thanks.
  4. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    yeah no thanks. changing the settings on my calibrated monitor is extreme. if that's how the game is supposed to look i'm good with it.
    alexsubri says thanks.
  5. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    You don't have to do it via the monitor, the same thing can be accomplished in the GPU control panel.
  6. NHKS

NHKS New Member

Thanks Received:
    I haven't bought it yet.. but have to say that I prefer this art-style over the more cartoony style of borderlands.. the .ini file tweaks look interesting and it does improve the looks..
    some screen shots i found in screen-shot thread(from csokis) after modding the ini file..
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2742811&postcount=3252
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2745214&postcount=3262
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2745231&postcount=3263

must try this game..
  7. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Most definitely. Without them it looks pretty much like a RAGE clone. With them, the game earns it's stripes graphically, though it would still be well served by an HD texture mod, patch or DLC IMO. Some of those screenshots could benefit from a touch of color saturation btw.
  8. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Dishonored has an oil painting aesthetic wrapped around a steampunk City 17. I don't think of Rage at all.
    BlackZero says thanks.
  9. MasterInvader

MasterInvader

Thanks Received:
    The game is good, but the story/gameplay it´s too short :ohwell:

You dont have the liberty to explore the city´s, only a few side quests an no free roam.
    Again it´s a nice game but no where near other great Bethesda games such Fallout.
  10. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it's a pretty decent game, but if you have to pick, rather buy xcom. i tried both
    Bjorn_Of_Iceland, Binge and BumbleBee say thanks.
  11. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    It looks a lot less "oil painting" when you edit in better looking graphics, eg more detail. Hell, ambient occlusion lighting isn't even on by default with max settings. Also I'm talking more art style than set piece or story themes. RAGE was also likened to having an artistic vs rendered look you know. In fact all the pieces were individually drawn vs auto rendered. Dishonored can be made to look far less blurry than RAGE though.
    BlackZero says thanks.
  12. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    One of the better games I've played in the last couple of years. I'm nearing the end now and I have nearly twenty hours in.

Visually I love the art style. Game looks and runs super good.

The story is fantastic compared to so many other games out there that fall short of providing even a decent story.

In a day where the average game provides 8-10 hours of gameplay I think this game does a pretty good job of packing in a lot of content in a 15-25 hour package. I would imagine that the length of the game will be dictated by the way you play it.

The game allows you to be very creative in how you accomplish the missions and even how you take on the enemy.

I've been quite pleased with it. I rarely play a game twice but I know I will play this again.

There are multiple endings too.

I also bought xcom but that will have to wait. Dishonored deserves my full attention.
  13. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Waiting for price drop before buying.
    I have Sleeping Dogs to hold me over for the time being.
  14. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Going to wait for this to go $5. Also, Bethesda didn't develop it. It was just published by Bethesda. Arkane Studios developed the app. Same guys who brought us Dark Messiah and Bioshock 2.. with the addition of that Deus Ex designer dude. Dishonored, from what I see, is an amalgamation of Bioshock2, Dark Messiah and Deus Ex XD.. which, imo, is not a bad thing ;)
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  15. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Most of the positive over hype is from people whom are not familiar with Arkane quality or have been let down by PC games in the past.
    Otherwise, for anyone with high expectations, it doesn't wow you.

It looks decent, plays alright, has some really enjoyable moments.

If you don't like the washed out affect, just get a SMAA Direct X injector which will brighten the colors and allow you to turn off in game AA and get better antialiasing through the injector.
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2964837
  16. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Finished the game last night. Quite pleased with this title. I only ever finish maybe 1 out of every 10 games I play. So for any game to hold me till I finish it is a job done well by them.

I get bored easily. This game had the perfect length, story and action to satisfy me.
  17. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Im gonna wait for the price to drop significantly. But I like what Ive seen
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Might buy it during a Steam seasonal sale. Don't care for steampunk, might just skip.
  19. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    because it would be Dishonorable for You to Not buy it;)
  20. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    I am enjoying it: its atmosphere, it's sounds, views, pints and books, rats and dogs, lol (only the pseudo-IIIreich elements are a bit carboncopy of thousand other games)
    It is also like Skyrim in a city, but more story driven.
  21. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Definitely has a Half-Life 2 feel (someone mentioned City 17, spot on comparison) and even though the graphics aren't the sharpest, the art style more than makes up for it. Only played a couple hours but pretty solid so far.
  22. irlandezul

irlandezul

Thanks Received:
    I'm expecting the price to drop , but is definetly a go .
  23. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    I just finished the first assassination mission (not even completely done yet) and I'm 5 hours in. FWIW I did restart the game once and have been dying/going back to a bit older saves a lot, but there is a lot to do/many ways to do it...I started on hard and it is damn hard for me.
  24. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Fun game, story line picks up eventually and after modding it with the Sweetfx SMAA Injector (which is a must) the games visuals actually started to look appealing! As mentioned earlier no more washed out textures.

You can get very creative with the killing if you want, Dishonored - Creative Kills - YouTube
  25. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    You make me want to spend my moneys! That game looks pretty fun
    Crunching for Team TPU