1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Display Driver atikmdag

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Donny5000, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Donny5000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whenever I am in a game or watching a movie my screen goes blank and then says that the display driver atikmdag has stopped responding and has recovered. it has recently gotten to the point that 5 minutes of playing a video will cause it. please help does anyone know how to fix this?
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  3. Donny5000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Before I start do I need a disc or anything? I don't have one so that would be problem. Also I have vista and for some reason I can't find the recycle bin... my brother had this computer for a while he must have hidden it? where can i find?
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    start...control pannel...look at the left side it should be there towards the bottom
    [​IMG]

All you need to do is go to ATI/AMD and download the latest driver for your card.
    http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
  5. Donny5000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Didn't work. Did exactly as it said and I still have same problem =/ Appreciate the help though any other ideas? I think I am taking my computer in tomorrow but they like to overcharge just to look at it you know? And i especially don't want to pay them to tell me I need to buy a new one. How much would I good one cost and what is a good driver to buy if I do have to go that route?
  6. sleepsus New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is your card Over Clocked?
  7. Donny5000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No it's not. I don't know if it's relevent but ATITool isn't working anymore... keeps telling me the kernel mode isn't working(?).
  8. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i had the same problem but only in gaming and infact it was only when i played NFS i tried all the latest drivers and a different vista and still had the same problem..... what card are you using and what OS?
  9. Donny5000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    card is ati radeon 2600 pro
    i dunno what OS is
  10. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    OS= Operating System. Windows Xp, Vista? Are the ati2evxxx items both in your task manager? Check by hitting Crtl Alt delete, then select task manager, then processes.
  11. Donny5000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Vsita, and there is one of those processes Ati2evxx
  12. onyx1974 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Psu

Hey Donny,

I had this same problem for nearly two weeks now. I was driving myself insane with trying to figure it out.

It turned out that the issue was my PSU, I removed one of my optical drives and put in an external VGA PSU. I ran my system last night for 3 hours with no problem.

Also, here is an AMAZING tweak guide for Vista: http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html
  13. phantom8 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I purchased a new ATI 3850 for my friend and he had the same GPU recovery problem while in games. We took it back to the dealer and exchanged another one (same brand and model), and this one is working perfectly.
  14. onyx1974 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It could be Donny's partiular GPU. It could be that the drivers need a clean install. Look on any forum this has been a hot topic for a while, one that is very hard to diagnose. IF it is the PSU work fast on fixing this issue becuase if that card is sucking up to much juice you could be headed for a very serious problem.
  15. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I had that problem with a 3850 and it turned out to be powerplay, but what you can do is uninstall ccc and install atitraytools, that fixes it for me when I use powerplay on my 3850

but your issue sounds bad, its might be the card