1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Display driver has stopped responding and has recoverd.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Octane92, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Octane92 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

I have recently bought an ASUS ATI 6950 1GB, Since i have installed the card my PC keeps freezing and the screen goes black then reappears and windows gives the message ''Display driver has stopped responding and has recoverd''. Also when the screen goes black i hear a 3-4 random beeps coming through my speakers.

The error is occuring when i am surfing the net etc so the graphics card isn't even under load. I have tried overclocking my CPU incase the card was being bottlenecked which had no effect. I have also unistalled and reinstalled different drivers several times. The graphics card and CPU temps are ok so i dont think its overheating.

Below is my PC specs:

Mobo: Asus P5K
    CPU: Intel E8200 dual core 2.6 GHz (overclocked to 3.2Ghz)
    Memory: 4GB crucial balistic DDR2
    Graphics card: ATI 6950
    PSU: OCZ 600W

Any help would be really appreciated

Regards Octane

2. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    sounds faulty to me dude, make sure your drivers are up to date WHQL edition, and if it still happens, take it back to where you bought it and have them replace it.

welcome to TPU dude, if you plan on staying around with us, put those system specs in, in the user control panel, makes it easy to help you everytime you have an issue and you wont need to keep posting them :)

Octane92 says thanks.
  3. Octane92 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Wolf,

Thanks for the quick reply, Yeah i'll check the drivers now. Yeah these seem like a great forums for hardware info etc i'll definetly be sticking around.

4. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    What was the previous card?
    Sounds like the driver to me or the PSU.
    The random beeps, if you are in windows, is the driver re-loading and setting up.

First, I would clean out the old drivers real good(un-install, re-boot, go thru the registry, delete any folders and files relating to the old driver) and then install the latest ATi/AMD drivers.
    Or, a clean re-install of the OS may be needed.

Try the card in another system.

Check the PSU with a good DVM (a Multimeter).

Just some ideas there.:)

5. Octane92 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Viper,

Thanks for the advice i'll give the PSU a check. My old card was a 3870 which ran fine and never had and issues with.

6. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    disable ULV and power play

7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    its unfortunate, but there can be dozens of causes for driver crashes - for both ATI/AMD, and Nvidia cards.

It could be software - your drivers.
    It could be hardware - faulty card, or the card overheating (fan speed set too low, dust buildup, etc)
    it can also be that your system is unstable due to an overclock or faulty hardware (bad ram, etc)

the first thing that comes to mind to me, is that your older design PSU has had some voltage droop now that you have a more power hungry card installed, and its made your OC unstable. rever to stock and set your OC up again from scratch, and you should be fine.

8. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    have you tried fresh install it?
    maybe could solve your problem

9. Octane92 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the replys,

I overlocked the CPU after intsalled the card because i thought the card may be being bottlenecked, so the OC should be fine. With regards to the drivers i have tried several different drivers re-installing and unistalling with no effect. I have also ran memtest which said the memory is fine. I think it may just be faulty so i'll send it back and see what they say. Thanks for all your help it is really appreciated. I'll let you know the outcome with the RMA.

10. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i guess you have 2 suspect: the os or your hardware
    but if its in warranty period you could try return it so it can be checked deeply

11. LDNL

LDNL

Thanks Received:
    A little offtopic but you might wanna consider upgrading to a new platform/processor also. Even overclocked that core duo is just holding back your new graphics card.