1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered.

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Anath, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Anath

Thanks Received:
    I came home last night to find the following error in the bottom of my screen. I am currently running 2x 580 gtx's. One is the eVGA SC edition and one is the eVGA standard edition.

While browsing the web last night my screen started going crazy, sometimes it would just turn black for a few seconds and then display that message, other times the icons on my screen would blow up in size, the screen would tear etc.

I was reading other forums trying to find fixes and everyone says it was everything under the wind from memory to power supply to the cards themselves. I ran a stress test on the cards and it seemed like they were ok until eventually i started to see thin red lines that would flash over the fur doughnut of furmark.

I am dreading that there is something wrong with the cards right before bf3 comes out. Anyone seen this problem before or had some advice?

Also, I did try multiple drivers because i was using the bf3 beta ones and reverted back to the 280s and still got the same error.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
    Are you using an HDMI cable?

3. Anath

Thanks Received:
    yes

4. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Don't furmark. Try EVGA OC scanner. Run some game benchmarks or Unigine and see what's going on. Try with one card at a time.

Anath says thanks.
  5. Anath

Thanks Received:
    That was the plan tonight to use one card at a time and test each one individually. I will download and use EVGA OC scanner. Thanks.

6. mad1394

mad1394 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't sweat it. It's a bug introduced in the latest stable build of geforce drivers that hapends mostly while browsing in firefox.

If you revert to a driver previous to the 280 it should go away.

7. Anath

Thanks Received:
    really?! What if i use a different web browser? Would that also solve the issue? I havnt had any issues with firefox up until yesterday. But i have also not experienced the issue while in a game...I have almost been too scared to.

8. mad1394

mad1394 New Member

Thanks Received:
    For me it has only crashed once in firefox so far...games seem unaffected.
    I haven't tried any other browsers yet.

9. Anath

Thanks Received:
    I think it might be more serious. I am not sure but i thought that i had screen tearing issues when firefox was not open, but i could be mistaken.

10. mad1394

mad1394 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried the older drivers yet? 275.etc

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  11. Anath

Thanks Received:
    I have tried, 285betas and 280s

12. ..'Ant'..

..'Ant'.. New Member

Thanks Received:
  13. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    If you have an OC on your cpu revert back to standards clocks and see if that helps.
    I get the same message on my system if I go to aggressive....

14. Anath

Thanks Received:
    Just to let everyone know both cards were bad I ran evga pc scanner tool and both cards were reporting thousands of artifacts that's with everything on the system at default looks like I need to start the Rma process :(

15. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    That sucks, sorry to hear it. At least evga is good at rma'ing, right? That's what I've heard.

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    they been a hit n miss so ive heard recently

17. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Stop! Try something else. I had a similar problem with my 570. As odd as it seems, I just reseated the card and everything's fine since then. Many have got the same problem. Read the EVGA forums. Try this and if it doesn't work then RMA.

18. dejjin New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am also facing some problem like this. Not exactly the same one, but sometimes by screen is going crazy and other times it automatically turns to blue. I don’t know what is going on. First I restarted it, and then scanned for virus and checked for pst repair . Nothing worked. I don’t know what went wrong. It start happening after the installation of a new hardware. I guess there is something wrong with it. Otherwise before its installation, everything was working perfectly.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  19. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    I made a post earlier and as I troubleshooted, it has turned out that my cards too are bad. Well I should say that one of my two cards are bad.

I am switching my Zotacs out for some MSI cards.

While yes Nvidia acknowledges this as a driver bug, if you are encountering this error with games or 3D applications, it has turned out to be hardware related.

Again if you look here:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=215256&st=0

Alot and I mean alot of people are having this issue and after RMA they are fine. There were some bad cards released....

I tired the 275 drivers, all of the 280, 285, and 290 drivers to no avail. Whenever launching anything 3D with SLI tossed the error message up. Undid SLI and used the top card, everything works great. I tried the bottom card and no matter what application or sitting idle, the computer would crash.

I would advise all if you are having this issue and a driver cleaning/re-installation does not fix the issue, to RMA.