1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by skellattarr, Jul 12, 2009.

1. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. i get this error when i play world of warcraft and the screen gos black and game crashes.plus in the windows experience index score both my video scores are 6.6 is that low for a evga gtx 285 in windows 7 64 bit rc ?

2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    How about driver verison? I've noticed some newer drivers do this more often for me on my GTX260 compared to some older drivers. The worst was the 185 series, though I still get a random one on the 186whql while browsing, never any other time, which is odd...maybe once a week at most though, so I deal with it.

I hope you play more than wow to workout that sweet gtx285 of yours! :D

3. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    i have the lates drivers i read ware older drivers work better but i don't know whch one for win 7.

4. domy85

domy85

Thanks Received:
    Give 182.50 a try. Lots of reports on 185-186 crashing like that.

5. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
  6. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    i fixed the problem what i did is disabled the physx after that i was able to play wow for 4 hours with no problems.

7. Erak22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Where is that setting. It's terrible trying to do bgs with your screen going black every 30 secs.

8. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    if you have a nvidia card you right click on your desktop then click on the nvidia control panel then in set physx cofiguration chose disabled then apply and your set.

9. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    6.6? i thought the highest possible was 5.9

10. Sean8

Thanks Received:
    windows 7 is higher than 5.9

11. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    windows 7 goes up to 7.9. yea i used to get nvlddmkm error all the time when i tried to SLI my 8800GT's like a year ago never found out why but yea that error occurs for a bunch of different reasons. seems you found your solution though :toast:

12. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    well i sent my cpu in for replacement it had that whea logger error event id 21 when i get it back i hope i get a higher score on my video. i noticed that on my old mobo and cpu i get a video score of 6.8 a .2 higher then my newer mobo and cpu. my old cpu is a amd athlon 6000+ 3 ghz and my old mobo is a asus crosshair 1.

13. Loke Guest

This crappy score means nothing:laugh:. It calculates the score of CPU by frequency, of memory by its amount. It's give a sh!t on what type of CPU or memory you have, what is really important. In example 2Gb of DDR2 800 in single channel have the same score as 2Gb of DDR2 1066 in dual:laugh:. My RAID0 have the same score as sinlge HDD. Do you still think it is the real deal?:) Don't look at score, man. Run the real benchmarks and see the real results;).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2009
  14. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    hi every one im back with the same problem Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered error when i play wow. its happening a lot more now i have the newest drivers and my card gets up to 59c when i play. not Sher how to fix this any ideas?

15. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried reverting back to previous drivers? if you have and the problem persists, have you taken of the plastic shield of your GTX 285's heatsink to clean it of dust(good to do regardless of temps), and have you tried underclocking our core clocks? usually if its vid memory failing you'll get glitched/off color, sometimes flashing, textures in games. and i'd do that short troubleshoot in that order

16. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    the card is clean no dust i reinstalled 196.21 driver same one i was using it was a little better but still does the black screen once in a wile. do you have any suggestions on witch driver may work better?

17. baconbirgir New Member

Thanks Received:
    have you updated your audio drivers? i had the same issue with my ati card both onboard and one that i installed and anytime i tried to play bioshock it came up with message and made my pc crash

but just try to update them through your mobo manufacturers site see if that works

18. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    I was having this same problem I was told ( By the good people here on techpowerup ) to DL the web update for DX it fixed my problem . Hell I thought my video card was on its way out ! But this fixed it ! Here is a link . I hope it helps .

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/directx/aa937788.aspx

19. mrigom New Member

Thanks Received:
    theres not much support for games for windows 7 so stay away form that os if u wanna game xp is great for games i suggest u install xp or install the game on a pc on which u have xp installed if u dont want to reinstall all the oses again as xp will fuck up 7 and vista both bootloaders.

20. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Well first off you are wrong . XP was good not any more . Windows 7 is by far the best OS ever ! It has more support for games than EVER ! even games that worked on windows 98 LIKE home world work fantastic on windows 7 64 bit no less !

The problem is DX11 you need to use the web updater this will fix that issue . It is not the OS that is doing it , it IS however the drivers and DX that are conflicting . Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft and that in it's self should tell you to stay away from it . :twitch:

21. mrigom New Member

Thanks Received:
    i agree with ya but lots of incompatibility problems like limited dos support and stuff and first of all there are still many people who are not convinced with vista or 7 as for all vista sucks bigtime and 7 seven rocks as u said but i dunno abt games :p as i have 7 in my pc i only use it for surfing or chatting and all office work stuff as it gets more lively and not dull as xp is:shadedshu whereas xp consumes far more less ram than 7 :cool: is not much of a resorce hog and not very demanding as for folding rigs.

22. dustyshiv

dustyshiv

Thanks Received:
    Skell,

I used to face this issue. It was more of a temp thing. I installed manual fan control utility like evga precision or Riva tuner and increase the fan speed manually to max while gaming. The problem went away. U might also want to monitor the temps when this issue happens the next time. I hope there is good airflow inside your case. Lets know how it goes!!

23. va4leo

va4leo New Member

Thanks Received:
    He beat me to it >.<

24. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Heck even my CnC for windows 95 worked on Win7.

25. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    i have this problem with the 197's only in photoshop but if your getting it in games and windows most likey your ram bro