1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding

Discussion in 'General Software' started by STR8, Oct 2, 2008.

1. STR8 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Few days ago i installed Vista Ultimate 32bit, Im using the Nvidia 8800GTX card with this 175.19_geforce_winvista_32bit driver. everything was working fine untill today when i got this message "Display Driver nvlddmkm Stopped Responding and Has Successfully Recovered".

This first happen when i was playing Crysis Warhead but i thought it was once of this. then it happen again and again in windows while checking mail.

I thought that it might have something to do with the Video Driver so i dloaded 177.83_geforce_winvista_32bit, but im still having the same problem.

PS. I've had Vista Ultimate before on this PC with same system spec, but now i just have a new Monitor and im thinking that it could be the problem?
    New Monitor is Samsung 2493HM.

Any help would be great on how to correct this problem
  2. CStylen

CStylen New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had that problem too and though it was a 64-bt issue. When it happened to me my machine completely locked up and I had to reset. I think I was doing something with Outlook and opening PDF's. Hasn't happened again though. No idea as to the cause or solution.
    STR8 says thanks.
  3. Zehnsucht

Zehnsucht New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try using DX9 mode. I can't play Warhead in DX10 mode due to that problem.
    (right click on the icon in windows games, choose DX9 mode).

Once it happens, almost all screen activity is affected, and a reboot is required.

You'll be hard pressed to find a permanent solution though, the drivers are often blamed for this.

If you google it you'll find lots of posts about it over at the nvidia forums.
    STR8 says thanks.
  4. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    There are almost a 1000 reasons for this message. Most likely though is your 8800 overheated. Try putting your fan at 100% (Rivatuner etc can do this).
    STR8 says thanks.
  5. Zehnsucht

Zehnsucht New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes that is the most common response. I've never had any luck though solving the nvlddmkm.., mine never gets above 45C (watercooled) and even a fresh vista install, new mobo and ram didn't solve it. I'm blaming drivers.

But, I'm aiming for a new card in a couple of months, this 8800GTX feels very old by now...
    STR8 says thanks.
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i agree with the above guys, there are lots of possible causes.

THe thing is, MANY things can trigger the drive to go bad - a bad driver install, outdated directX, overheating, corrupt/bad system RAM, and so on.

I used to have it incessantly, and it drove me mad. In the end i had a bad stick of ram, swapped it and the problem never came back.
    STR8 says thanks.