1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Display port confusion

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by petedread, Jan 9, 2013.

1. petedread

petedread

Thanks Received:
    Hi. I have been given an old computer by a friend, he want's me to reinstall windows on it for him. It has Geforce 6800gs with VGA and a DVI-out ports. My monitor has D-Sub and DVI-D ports. Is there any way I can get it to work on my monitor? I'm hoping that there is a cable I can buy? Is this a analog to digital issue? If so, it is going to be expensive to get an adaptor but I don't mind because I'm sure it will come in handy in the future.

2. petedread

petedread

Thanks Received:
    Oh I forgot to mention, my monitor also has a HDMI port.

3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    VGA (d-sub 15), DVI-A, DVI-D, or DVI-I would work: male -> male. DVI-I (digital+analog) is the best, followed by DVI-D (digital). DVI-A and VGA are analog.

In your situation, I would buy a M-M DVI-D cable up to 10 feet long.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    VGA and D-Sub are the same thing, just as DVI and DVI-D are the same thing.

5. petedread

petedread

Thanks Received:
    Oh right, well they do look the same,lol. Well nothing shows up on my screen. I have the same problem with another old computer that is sat here waiting for a OS install. Maybe it's just that both of them have dead graphics cards?

6. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    The monitor could be dead, the cable bad, any adapters you are using defective, and/or failed graphics device. Trial and error...trial and error.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    If the motherboard has integrated video, it might be trying to display from that and you'd need to set the BIOS to use the card. If there's a video port on the motherboard, try it.

8. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Not really, if a DVI port isn't designated DVI-D, also called "dual link", it will not handle extreme resolutions like 2560.

OneMoar says thanks.
  9. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    First, DVI-D is not synonymous with dual-link DVI. DVI-D is simply the digital implementation of DVI. DVI-D is available as single- and dual-link.

Second, for the purposes of this thread, it's the same thing. DVI-D is the most common DVI type. GPUs have a DVI-I port so they may output DVI-A or DVI-D. For all monitors sold today with DVI, they are of DVI-D type.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  10. petedread

petedread

Thanks Received:
    Stupid oversight, the graphics card is not powered!,lol. There is no cable for it on the PSU. Just one 4 pin 12v atx for the motherboard. MB is Asus AN832-SLI. I expect that I can buy a cable for it, but then I wont be able to have the DVD burner connected lol. What a mess. Thanks FordGT90Concept for the port connecter info. And thanks Mabam and everyone for the help.