1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DisplayLink and EVGA Bring USB Graphics Adapters to Mass-Market

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, May 6, 2008.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    DisplayLink and EVGA today announced that they have teamed to deliver a new generation of affordable USB graphics adapters (UGAs) for mass-market retail consumers. EVGA’s new UV Plus+ Family of products which consists of the UV12 and UV16 USB graphics adapters, are based on DisplayLink network display technology, enabling any available USB port on your desktop PC or notebook to be turned into an additional video output for use with another display. The GPU-less design utilizes a virtual driver and high-performance DDR memory with full support for Windows Vista Aero and high resolution capabilities. Once the USB 2.0 capable EVGA UGA is used to connect your system to an additional monitor, the following three video modes will be accessible: mirrored desktop, extended desktop and primary display. Furthermore the included software will let you expand (left, right, above or below), rotate (left, right, or upside-down), or mirror your virtual workspace. Both adapters are now available through EVGA’s network of partners with a sub-$100 price tag. Please proceed here for more information.

[​IMG]

Source: EVGA

2. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    interesting... a usb graphics card...

3. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh I thought this meant I could plug it into my usb port and I'd get amazing performance

4. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    that was my first impression too

5. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah then you could take a bunch of these and plug them in, create like deca-sli.....don't we wish.

6. robodude666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It seems like this is more for people who want multiple displays but use a laptop for work. Possibly for people who do video/audio editing and travel a lot with a laptop. It has mirroring/extending features. You also can't use this thing off the bat without a video card + monitor as you have drivers to install. So its not a video card replacement, but an aid for multiple monitors. It also features no GPU, according to ASUS so its not going to be powerful for gaming. Just multitasking with multiple monitors. Pretty good idea. Wasn't ASUS making an external ExpressCard GeForce 7950 before?

7. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    It should be for 1394. USB can't handle the bandwidth and everyone knows it.

This is like the reverse of a TV tuner and those could only do low resolution.

8. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    i was just considering that too.. i was wondering how much the usb video card would actually be able to perform.

unfortunantly 1394 is trademarked and stuff and you have to pay licensing fees to use it, etc. etc.

9. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    SLI with USB? <-- Doesn't make sense

10. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    its not sli, its just a external video card that has the function of displaying.... dont try playing crysis on it.. or it'll blow up.

11. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sli was a joke bro, I was saying if only we could Sli these....if they had gpu's of course.

12. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    well they do have gpu's... just ones that are no where near to even an x800 lol

13. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought it said memory only, and uses drivers for the processing stuff?

14. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, no GPU. But man it would be so cool... I have at least 4 unused USB ports back there.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    damn when are asus going to release their external graphics thing - they were talking about it one day like they found a cure for cancer & now where has it gone??? id still get the asus anyday over these - at least i can plug in my old X1800XT in it. its a shame

having one of those would really save me having to get a new laptop - have an 'all rounder' laptop - i use it to do a lot of my movie/image editing when away from home, it does my downloads when im on my main pc, it plays guildwars & cod2 but its old....

16. mep916

Thanks Received:
    lol. Wouldn't have any use for it. :wtf:

17. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    They don't even have a GPU....meaning each of these little ones will give Mr. CPU their homework.

18. adrianx New Member

Thanks Received:
    this is not a video card on USB (like the name ... Displaylink)

it's a simple an additional display port for your pc

so you can play crysis but.... if the Displaylink will lose same FPS :) But the crysis dont have many FPS :D

It's like a KVM on the network port :)

19. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    while doing a bit of research on Asus's XG Station (the name of their external graphics unit) aparantly according to TomsHardware is 'nearly' production ready, there are rumors that some guy managed to get a hold of a sample & put a 8800GTX in it.

its about time they implemented this XG project

heres a link for your viewing for those interested. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ces-asus-xg-station,4679.html

kwchang007 says thanks.