1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Disto and software pack for DLNA File/Media server

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by Killer_Rubber_Ducky, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    I am looking for a good Linux Distro and software set for my File/media server supporting DLNA streaming to xbox360 and PS3. I also plan to combine it with my Usenet account as a TV PVR. I also have a TV tuner Hauppague 1850 I may stick in it.

I generally use Debain *buntu based distros but am open to alternatives that just effin work.

I plan to set it up as headless with remote access and web admin so suggestions and how to please.

Specs:
    expect about 4-8 HDDs so when suggesting include RAID or no-RAID with RAID Type Recommendation ( I expect 1/5/10) I dont generally like RAID but will use it if need be.

2. Neuromancer

Neuromancer

Thanks Received:
    If you are planning on that AMD build might want to specify that for HW requirements :) Not sure how far along linux has come with AMD support. Might still have issues with certain kernels.

Killer_Rubber_Ducky says thanks.
  3. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    8GB RAM
    4-8 2+TB HDDs
    1.6Ghz+ Dual Core E350 or APU
    Hauppauge 1850 Tuner card for QAM recording ( prefer software that will also rip out commercials from streams)
    Headless
    Not hooking up to TV.
    Streaming to PS3/360/Wii/PC
    DLNA
    MKV support