1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DIY case

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Necrofire, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Necrofire

Necrofire New Member

Thanks Received:
    I finally finished it. Some pics after the story.

Had this idea to build a smaller-than-minitower case out of acrylic for over 9 months now, and I (and my brother) finally built it over the past 4 days in between work, sleep, and CS:S. It's a quick and dirty build, but I'm living with it for now.

Problems:
    Cracked front, no back, horrible cuts, scratched everywhere, misaligned holes, bad wire management, etc.

Original plans were slightly smaller, about 2 inches shorter width. Complications in old design produced some major changes. They also called for bright blue LEDs, but I got really annoyed at the 4 in my psu and the two in my cpu heatsink, so I took them all out and it is now dark:cool:.

Cooling has been improved, all air enters in front, and exits either back or psu. The large switch in front and above the front fans is power and reset. Knobs on either side are the fans' speed control. Despite taking off the 80mm fan from my gpu, it idles 45 C.(will post loaded temps in a while.)

Tool list:
    1/4" acrylic
    Low power drill (biggest pain working with this)
    Screwdriver
    Tap for screw holes
    screws

Here's some links to slightly higher res pics.

Tl;dr, home-made case, smaller than original, better cooling, here's pics.

Attached Files:

2. kodex New Member

Thanks Received:
    I see that you went for the Drill 'n' Break method instead of making cuts. There's always that fear that you'll break whatever you're working on in half. :D Anyway, I think that you did a pretty good job and you actually made a good looking case. I'm looking at attempting the same thing in the future, only out of aluminum. I wasn't quite sure how to put it all together, but I certainly like your use of the brackets.

3. Necrofire

Necrofire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Some of it is drill and break, other is score and snap. We broke two pieces by not being careful with the scoring tool and our hands. We drilled a lot of holes, took precautions, and that piece still broke.

I hate cutting acrylic.

4. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    It's people like you and your brother that gives me inspiration for custom made cases. a little while ago i was looking into making a custom case out of acrylic. and those those brackets are put to fantastically good use.