• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DLC and $, why pay more and more?

$$$ On DLC??

• I support DLC and the charges that apply for DLC.

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I do not support DLC and it should be all one package.

Votes: 38 62.3%
  • DLC is a iffy topic, leave it as is.

Votes: 13 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home

streetfighter 2

I had heard somewhere that DLC was a measure taken by companies to mitigate losses from piracy. To be quite frank, I prefer DLC to most other forms of DRM. On the other hand almost all big titles have both DLC and DRM . . .

I'm not willing to give up mods and modding . . .

STCNE

System Name Lycanthropy
Processor i5 2500K
Motherboard ECS p67-h2a2
Memory 8GB Muskin Radioactive Series
Video Card(s) MSI R7770
Case Lancool K62
Audio Device(s) Ultra-Fi Dac41, Vintage Sherwood amp, STAX SR-5 Headphones
Power Supply XFX 850W
Software Win 7 64-Bit(Tried Win8 and never going back)
Benchmark Scores Reboots in 35 seconds flat, with a standard HDD. I'm a bit of an OCD tweaker. Using less than 100GB
I was against DLC until I bought some of the Fallout: New Vegas DLC during a STEAM sale. Its a good way to add content to a game that doesn't really fit in with the original setting and won't appeal to everyone, only those who want it will buy it.

I have a question, that is on topic. Anyone own Warhammer 40k?

As I'd paid the $30 for the printed copy, I thought I'd be getting a complete game. As it turned out, there was one campain, with names changed to make it "unique" for each species. Online mode is fun, but severly population limited. Months later, they're releasing extra wargear, races, and other tidbits that would have made a complete game:http://store.steampowered.com/app/56437/

My quandry is this. It costs $30 for a rather anemic game. For another $30 you get all of the crap to make a "complete" game. Is this better, or worse, than releasing a complete game for $60? The publisher produced a rather lackluster game, but made sure to maintain profits by including DLC (disregarding that DLC purchased out of the bundle would be $40 more expensive). I know that being forced to be tethered to Steam makes this a more complex question, but let's pretend that isn't the case for now.

Last edited:
Only DLC's that i have ever bought extra were additional DLC maps for Defense Grid. Considering they already released a free DLC in between and that each map pack (there were 4 of them, each had 2 maps i think) cost only 99 euro cents i decided to support them. Because each map pack offered several hours of challenging defenses. Unlike most DLC's that offer just some stupid extra skins or weapons that should be in the games in teh first place. Plus it's one of the most addicting indie games i've played in the last few years. Maps DLC's just have the very big extra value that most of other DLC's simply don't have.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
As I'd paid the $30 for the printed copy, I thought I'd be getting a complete game.

So you paid for tea and you expected a full breakfast. Wut?

Reviews can tell you alot about the games, and you are given the option of buying the complete game for a complete price (of $60), or buy a gimped product for $30. That is how I see it. Is it better? In my eyes, yes. They are not taking out things which you need (for a complete experience, truth a bit stretched) they are just giving you the option to buy something slightly reduced for a reduced price.

Reviews can tell you alot about the games, and you are given the option of buying the complete game for a complete price (of $60), or buy a gimped product for $30. That is how I see it. Is it better? In my eyes, yes. They are not taking out things which you need (for a complete experience, truth a bit stretched) they are just giving you the option to buy something slightly reduced for a reduced price.

It's more like you this, you order a full breakfast just to find out it consists only of tea. You have to buy bread, butter and marmalade separately... That's how games work in most cases these days. They are charging for stuff that came with the games from the day one all the time before.

I don't mind DLC's that are like the extra maps in Defense Grid that have great extra value or like extra characters in Killing Floor which are a nice touch but don't have any effect on the game itself. You're just limited to the stock characters. But if you decide to support the devs, you buy extras. I also like the idea of getting extra stuff if you pre-order the game. At least you get something in return for showing trust and ordering a game you have no clue how good it really is. But then again in the olden days (it sounds like i'm 40 or something) we got all sorts of goodies inside the package as well...

D

Deleted member 67555

The first game i remember having an expansion pack was Wing Commander but if you bought the game after the expansion pack was released it was included as the gold edition...that was 20 years ago.... I feel really old now...

System Name Grond
Processor Ryen 5 3600x PBO ~ 4.4GHz / fabric at 1900
Motherboard MSI b550 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm CPU w/ am4 mounting bracket+ 2 RX360 radiator + xspc Razor R9-290 w/ backplate
Memory 32gb Crucial Ballistix @ 3800
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 w/ XSPC Razor full cover block and backplate
Storage WD SN850 1tb-OS, SN750 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb, WD blue hdd 4tb
Display(s) Samsung 23" 120hz 3d LCD w/ 3d glasses, using 'lightboost' trick
Case NZXT H630 white watercooling case
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek ALC 1200+ Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply XFX Pro 850 XXX semi-modular
Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries 6 v2
Software Windows 10 Pro (Had some mystery error on Win7 and decided to go W10)
Wing commander was the shit. They should reboot the series.
I remember when they came out with the voice pack, that blew my mind back in the day.
Years ago official expansion packs added lots of content and it was worth shelling iut extra money for.
Todays DLC is short on content and they are charging too much for it. In my own opinion at least.

No. I paid for a game that I thought had a decent single player experience, because it advertised as such. When I received what was basically an expansion pack, for a game that didn't seem to come in the box, I was miffed. My immediate thought was "well, at least it was only $30, and not the usual $60."

Months later, after I stopped playing the game, they have added almost no new gameplay content. They allowed you to choose a new set of races, and added some additional frills, which were functionally cosmetic and aesthetic changes.

I guess my question was poorly targetted. I wanted to see where people draw the line between lower pricing justifying later DLC, and having an artificially low price; I ask because I purchased a "complete" game, but really need to download and purchase the DLC for the full experience.

So we are clear, expecting a cheap meal for a cheap price is reasonable. The assertion that a cheap meal's ticket is only good enough to buy tea ia flawed.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Perhaps you forget yourself, or perhaps you only see piracy as being theft. The definition of piracy you have is far more narrow than the one developers use. After removing the sand from my nethers (I was bitchy before, my apologies), I believe it is time to ask a question. What is piracy?

No, not the question of where you draw the moral line. I want to know what piracy is to the companies who develop games and DLC.

I will admit to legally purchasing several games. I then download "pirated" versions of these same games. Why, that's simple. I hate DRM that makes every single game feel like a tether. You have my $60, now let me play the f*cking game.

By the definition of the companies that produce software, this is illegal. Perhaps they are right; I don't steal anything, the developer gets their money, and I get to enjoy the game I paid for. No solidshield, no Origins, no GFWL. None of these have evben slowed piracy, and they make people who would otherwise pay want to pirate a "working" version of their games.

For DLC, and for games, developers have to learn to respect their customers. Releasing crap, or shaving off gameplay elements that aren't "necessary" is not acceptable. Customers have to learn that piracy hurts everyone. One free game is a minscule influence, until you look at the big picture and see a million people taking "one free game." The corporate backing has to learn that games would be better if all the funding that goes into DRM would be spent on making better games. I'm tired of being assumed to be a criminal, because executives at a game company lack any grounding in reality. I'm tired of games taking twice as long to load, because DRM "has" to be there.

This said, I know moaning does nothing. I for one will not buy EA games casually. I will not buy an NFL game, ever. I will not install a game that comes out with day 1 downloads. This is the only way to let publishers know. They don't listen to words, but a hit to the pocket book will cause them to change policy.

Your in a way justifying piracy by saying that the developers got paid by distributors and resellers, so you are not hurting the developer, and thus they have no excuse to complain about piracy as a form of theft. Piracy in this case would directly affect the resellers. If people don't buy the game from them, they won't purchase them from the distributors and in turn the developers won't sell as many.

And ultimately, DLC should never have anything to do with piracy. It's simply a carrot and stick method that brings in money. I don't for one second believe that developers would stop charging for DLC, if piracy vanished.

D

Deleted member 67555

Wing commander was the shit. They should reboot the series.
I remember when they came out with the voice pack, that blew my mind back in the day.
Years ago official expansion packs added lots of content and it was worth shelling iut extra money for.
Todays DLC is short on content and they are charging too much for it. In my own opinion at least.

Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi
OMG I got that with my first Cd-Rom and a Sound Blaster Pro all-in-one package called FUSION LOL it cost $399
It was an external CD-Rom that connected via serial port and I had to give up my mouse through .bat and .exe to make enough memory to get the speech to work...I miss DOS 5.0
I think games were more exiting then cause you really had to do a lot to get em to work...

OMG that reminds of Dr.Sbaitso LuLzzz... those were the days

Last edited by a moderator:
Your in a way justifying piracy by saying that the developers got paid by distributors and resellers, so you are not hurting the developer, and thus they have no excuse to complain about piracy as a form of theft. Piracy in this case would directly affect the resellers. If people don't buy the game from them, they won't purchase them from the distributors and in turn the developers won't sell as many.

And ultimately, DLC should never have anything to do with piracy. It's simply a carrot and stick method that brings in money. I don't for one second believe that developers would stop charging for DLC, if piracy vanished.

?

I don't get how you read that from what I wrote. I said that the game was anemic at the $30 price point. I asked if people had an opinion about whether they would prefer a complete game at $60, or a partial game at $30 with $30 in DLC (assuming you waited). Perhaps you had a different take but I was not justifying piracy, or reasoning through the moral perspective, but posing a question.

System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte UD5H
Cooling 212 Evo
Memory 4x4GB Kingston 1600 @ 1833 9cl
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage Corsair SSD, WD Black
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Prelude > Fidelio X2s and AD-700s
Power Supply PCP&C Silent 950w
Software Win 10 Pro 64
Too true. Some of the stuff that gets released today is just sloppy. ATI (apparently as I've heard/read this but don't remember it) even released a "new" video card that was nothing but an old one with the buggy drivers fixed.

not even sure where to begin on this one. lol, just lol.

System Name The SwagMachine / The Sister
Processor Core i5 3570K @5.2ghz 1.3V/ 1100T
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V / ASUS M5A99X EVO
Cooling Phanteks PH TC14PE / Corsair H40
Memory M379B5273DH0-YK0 2X4GB + PVI316G213C1QK 2X4GB / 2x4GB Patriot 2133
Video Card(s) PNY 780Ti /Windforce 7950
Storage 2xSamsung 840 EVO 250gb+WD10EZEX + WD30EZRX/ 1x WD1500 Black
Display(s) AOC Q2963PM+Acer S200HL / Acer S200L+ LG 22LD350
Case Fractal Define R4 / NZXT Trinity
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG / Asus Xonar DG
Power Supply Seasonic 750X / ROSEWILL RG630-S12 630W R
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma / Roccat Kone+
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow 2013 Stealth / Roccat Isku
Software Windows 8.1 Pro / Windows 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores one time I scored a 3 on 3dmark 11
Well there are really two things you could do with DLC, the Fallout model, or something like Assassin's creed 2. The fallout model (release something a while after launch to give people who love the game something new to play) I think is the best version, they are giving people who love the game more entertainment with out having to buy a completely new game, yes it isn't a completely new game, but it can add something new to play to a world you love, and can even inspire you to replay the entire game again. Of course they are going to charge though, if someone asked you to build a rig that took weeks of your time, and sometimes made you work weekends you would charge, why shouldn't they? The Assassin's creed 2 model though I think is utter B.S. (take levels out of the game and make people pay to play it and have a complete story). Levels that were meant to be in the game SHOULD be in the game, and for free we paid for the game, we should get the full game! If they wanted to add a level pack that adds an extra memory that doesn't change the story much (just gives you little things that if you wanted to find out you could by going on the game's website) and just gives you a reason to be in that amazing world that's fine, go ahead and make 30 of them, I don't care. There is one thing that only really counts as DLC for consoles and that's skins, for those as long as they arn't more than a dollar it's fine, someone still had to work on that, and they still have to play Sony/Microsoft to have it on their service.

TL;DR: If it's added levels, then it's okay, if it should be part of the game, you're an ass.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
A lot of things were cheaper 5 or 10 years ago. Why are games singled out?

True, but house prices are dropping, why should games escape the crunch?