1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DNS problems with router

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by PatoRodrigues, Jan 2, 2013.

1. PatoRodrigues

PatoRodrigues

Thanks Received:
    Well, i'm having some problems with DNS lately. I use a Linksys E2500 router that connects the modem to the PC and my PS3, and sometimes i get DNS errors that don't allow me to use the router (connecting the modem directly to the PC or PS3 works just fine). My PC has a Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC (dated as of 2001 with driver version 5.398.613.2003, because i can't update anything from Realtek's website).

I have some port data for Call Of Duty and Playstation Network configured with Port Range Forwarding and Triggering together with DMZ configured to my PS3 MAC Address, and looks just fine so i don't think that's the problem. When i reset the router to default configurations, upload the old configurations and reboot the modem, everything works again. But i'm pretty sure that the problems will come back...

The DNS i'm using right now:
    Primary: 201.21.192.157
    Secondary: 201.21.192.152

Every help would be much appreciated. And if you guys need ipconfig screenshots or any other information, just ask that i'll provide it as soon as possible. :)

2. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    A couple suggestions I have for you:

Update the firmware on the router. Maybe it's getting into a badstate, and a firmware update might fix it. Or if you're comfortable with it, install a custom firmware like dd-wrt. Just make sure its supported on your router first.

Change your DNS to: 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.1. Might help.

If none of these work, maybe statically set your DNS on your PS3/PC to the IPs you listed, taking the router out of the lookup procedure.

Last option, is look for a new router.

PatoRodrigues says thanks.
  3. PatoRodrigues

PatoRodrigues

Thanks Received:
    I'll do that later and give a feedback. Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Well, it worked. Thanks a lot for the tips, Hybrid_theory!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013