1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DNS server priority ? Will it work for closest one firt ?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by RuskiSnajper, Jan 9, 2011.

1. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Hello , i just set up DD-WRT on my Linksys WRT320N . and im setting up stuff.

I got 2 DNS from my local provider which has it's server less than 5 miles away from me (im in suburb , very small city)

i found out they got a third one , but their third DNS is in atlanta , that's like on the other side of the world.

But my guess is , sometimes wikipedia and stuff LOADS long , probably because of their DNS LAG , and if i use this american 3th DNS , then would it act like a FAILSAFE , if the primary 2 aren't fast enough , to then use that DNS and display the page .... that would be good.

there's no any settings for the system but im sure it's similar. Or it's strictly DNS1 is primary and all others are below it ?

I just want to avoid slowdowns , so it won't try to take the remote DNS without reason.
  2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    it's primary and secondary, it will not switch to a secondary unless primary is out.

i recommend and use google public dns, 8.8.8.8. hardcoded into my machines, and just leave the settings on my wrt54gl/ddrt alone.