1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do any companies make anything worth a $hit these days?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Lazzer408, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    [rant]
    It seems like everything has gone way past the planned obsolescence line and it's sold broken out of the box. I can't even count how many RMAs I've had to fill out over the years for PC hardware. Motherboards DOA out of the box (Abit, ASUS, MSI, PCchips), Backplates stamped 4mm off (MSI, Gigabyte), Memory shipped defective (PNY, Kingston, Hynix, Samgsung), Computer cases with the rear PCI plate welded on too high preventing the cards from fully seating (Chieftech). CPUs burning up (AMD, AMD, and AMD) :D, Videocards burning up after a month from the $.05 fan failing (Nvidia but this is much better now). Countless powersupplies including this BFG 650w that just got back from RMA 2 days ago and the fans are out already!! Who uses sleave bearings in a PSU anymore?? Bad BFG bad!! I've had more down time then this PSU is worth. Now the Diamond HD3870 cards with the heatsinks not touching and memory, missing thermal pads, and false advertised clocks?? :shadedshu

Yet the prices keep on going up and up and worse is people keep paying it! :shadedshu Stop paying for garbage. Fight the system! :laugh: If each person has to RMA an average of 3 pieces of equipment that's MILLIONS of defects.

Seriously doesn't anyone test this stuff or at least visually inspect it before it hits shelfs?

[/rant]

Thanks for listening

2. Corrosion

Corrosion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like u have some bad luck. :banghead: you probably get more hardware then me but ive never had to rma a single thing.

3. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I agree. Never had to RMA anything....you've obviously had a REALLY unlucky streak...

4. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Same ,but i only buy new stuff couple of times a year.

5. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Maybe it's worse than it use to be...

Between 2000 and 2004 when I was building custom systems out of my house I only RMA'd a single item. Some 275 systems and only one bad part, not bad :)

6. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    It wouldn't suprise me if it is my luck. I have all sorts of stuff laying around here that's dead. My cars on the other hand never give me a single problem so it must be limited to electronics. Actually now that I mention that the only aftermarket electronic part in the cars (AEM ems) has known manufacturing defects. lol
    Yes I buy a large amount of hardware maintaining 4 gaming rigs. =)

7. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Ive never had a problem until my recent build for myself and updating my parents build. I had to rma two hdds that were advertised as silent but were crazy loud. I also had to rma my parents mobo a few weeks ago. Plus I have some stuff that I am not 100% satisfied with but its not worth the rma process. I guess I just have had some bad luck lately, usually I am happy with everything I get.

8. Dr. Spankenstein

Thanks Received:
    I am in agreement with Lazzer408. The "new" business model is: "Build it cheap, sell a bunch, process RMA's as they come."

This is sadly the way of the world now! Because people like to stretch their dollar and everything has "conveniently" become disposable, many people don't want to pay teh premium for quality craftsmanship. Hell, the reason quality stuff costs so much now is BECAUSE people don't mind buying crap and now TRUE craftsmen are out of work.

There used to be a time when folks would pay the princely sum of $80 for a pair of shoes and wear them for years. They'd take them to the cobbler to have them resoled or have the heels replaced. It was very cost effective and barely impactful on the environment.

Now it's just, "Oh, throw it away! We'll get a new one..":shadedshu

9. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    That may be ok if the new shoes were $10 but their still $80. :wtf:

10. Dr. Spankenstein

Thanks Received:
    Well, $10 leather shoes aren't gonna last you very long to begin with. Kinda the point I was tring to make. You used to pay a lot and get quality stuff. Now you pay very little and it shows in the lack of quality of products.

For example, You most likely paid ~$200 for your 1950pro. Now you can get a HD 3870 for $220. How do they do that? First they skimp on some aspect of quality control, 3rd pary vendors get their PCB's and other components from their "cheap" sources so they can turn a buck. Everybody's making some money though the production chain. And it still only costs $220?!? Most companies are counting on either: the luck of the draw, that the comsumer will have "moved-on" to a newer product before the current one fails, that the consumer will be too apothetic to "go through the trouble" to RMA it, or they just send another one out and cross their fingers.

I am aware that this is an over-generalization. Just an example to respond to the OP's statement.

11. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    It cost $20 to make it so even at $100 and there still making money. ;) For example it costs $.23 to make a 80mm fan. I understood what you were saying before I'm just saying the price hasn't dropped THAT much but the quality lately has fallen thru the floor. hence the new shoes (low quality) costing the same as the good ones used to. Eventually it'll bite them in the ass enough times the'll have to change something. I can always hope.

12. Dr. Spankenstein

Thanks Received:
    Fight the Power, my man!!!

13. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i've only had two things come DOA out of a box, and those were review samples (pre-release)

Everything else i've claimed under warranty was normally my fault anyway :D