1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do I dare re-open pandoras box?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ketxxx, Jul 7, 2009.

1. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I would like to play in 3rd as thats the view I prefer, but that hovering strafe just kills me, unless some mod fixes that I just can't.

2. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Its not that bad. The absolutely horrible LOD textures for stuff in the distance is far worse. Thankfully there is a 4096*4096 mod that fixes that :D

3. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Any missing animations just kill me. I agree the blurry texture aat distance is annoying, but I just cant stand a missing animation, especially from a game of that caliber, and the fact that Bethseda didn't fix it, couldn't believe samething happens in Fallout 3 :/ Was the first thing I checked for, was very unhappy.

4. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Its not so bad, just imagine your playing it on console. Console games have missing animations like that all the bloody time :p

On a seperate note, can anyone sucessfully integrate THIS mod into their oblivion game? I've tried but it seems to "break" the game. The emperor and his guards never come down to the dungeon :(

5. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    That's the best idea, especially for someone named Ket.

6. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    pandoras box is warm and sticky inside

7. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I have truly opened the box, and after a bit of tinkering, enjoy that shot! If you don't catch it, check the bottom right of the screen.

[​IMG]

8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I wanna play oblivion online lol.. how?

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    The links I provided on the first page. I setup my own server, was easy to test if it works because I got 2 comps. So connected to my own server with my gf's comp and thats her default char I made to test with.

Theres a bit of lag between player movements, you won't see the other player jumping, or sheathing their weapons. But I expected worse. Day and night didn't seem to be sync'd between the comps though, which was really strange. But whats cool is if someone goes afk, their char almost becomes an NPC and will converse with random other people that walk by them.

I got some more tinkering to do, now gonna try the expansion packs, then going to work on seeing how mods work with this. Then finally maybe give the MP a shot. There is a public server, I didn't check how many are on there though. If I finally get this all figured out, maybe I'll just leave my server up and let anyone here connect, we'll see though. It's really simple to connect to, making the server was a bit of a pain though.

10. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Sweet. I'm still fighting to sucessfully add a demon race :( Its really cool but seems to break the game unless I'm missing something.

11. Taz100420

Taz100420

Thanks Received:
    I was gonna get Oblivion back out until I discovered Fallout 3 and now Im hooked on that! I like the Oblivion like look of FO3. You can tell its a Bethesda game! Instead of swords and shields, we got guns lol.

12. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Well made some progress so far, all the DLC is now up and running and seems to be working great. I am now modding the crap out of the games (actually in the process of getting all the mods I want) then I'm going to see what I have that conflicts and maybe finally start playing some Co-op with the gf!

13. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    I still can't play Oblivion... stupid mods and their authors clear-as-mud instructions :shadedshu

14. King Wookie

King Wookie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do 1 mod at a time. Easier to troubleshoot.

15. Baer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I added some mods, the basic landscape improvements yesterday and it broke my game, it would not finish loading. I had to remove them.
    I am running Oblivion on Win 7 in Vista SP1 compatability mode.
    I have also found that sometimes the game will not load when both of my monitors are enabled. It semms to happen more when there is nothing on the second monitor. When I disable the second monitor and restart the game it is fine.

16. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    I am doing 1 mod at a time. I know I'm missing something, but with the install instructions being garbage and the mod complex.. trial and error.

17. King Wookie

King Wookie New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, any mods to avoid then? My disc stands at the ready.

18. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    I haven't come across any mods you should avoid, their all pretty good. The problem is just with the mods that have crap install guides.

King Wookie says thanks.
  19. Baer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would not recommend against a mod just because I did not have success with it. I may have not installed it correctly or my set up may be the issue.
    One thing I have done however is change some of the music, for example there are some music backgrounds from the old Ultima series I really like so I renamed some of the existing music to .old and renamed the new music to the standard for Oblivion. It works well.

King Wookie says thanks.
  20. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
  21. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I have barely set any settings, as I was worried a bit more about multiplayer Oblivion,, which I'm doubting you have played. Both those characters were the same save profiles on both comps and both had not leveled once. I havent sat down and played it at all yet as setting up the server and getting everything running right for MP is the bigger task.

22. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    No, because mount and blade is far better.

Unless of course you just want an easy mode RPG, then ya, run through Oblivion again.

23. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I never actually ran through Oblivion, so wouldn't be again, and thats what mods are for, Oblivion has a bagillion out there that make it more difficult, I'm looking at using a mix of 3 to make it harder.

Mount and Blade looks interesting, but even with Oblivion being 3 years old I would say the game looks quiet a bit better, not sure how old Mount and Blade is though. But Obliv can be made gorgeous, which is what I'm working on, along with my server before I fire up the game. I know I can play it maxed out, trust me I know my hardware, but if I get the MP working smooth, it's going to be funny watching friends with worse computers lag around.

24. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone having problems with performance or mods, this tweak guide http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html is excellent and aids the installation of certain mods. Also has a list of all the console commands.;):)

King Wookie and 1Kurgan1 say thanks.
  25. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    use the oblivion mod manager and the unofficial patches that will make it easier to install mods