1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do I need a second Radiator?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Paladone, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    Here are the parts I currently have:

Water blocks:
    EK FC780 GTX Jetstream Plexi/Nickel Nvidia GPU Waterblock
    EK FC780 GTX Ti Plexi/Nickel Nvidia GPU Waterblock
    EK Supremacy Plexi/Nickel Gold CSQ CPU Waterblock

Pump:
    EK Laing D5 Vario 12V DC Liquid Cooling Pump

Reserevoir:
    EK Bay Spin CSQ Plexi Reservoir

Radiator:
    XSPC AX360 Triple Fan 360mm Radiator Black

My tubing is some XSPC green, 13MM 1/2" ID, 19MM 3/4" ID tubing and I'm going to be using distilled water. I am yet to purchase any compression fittings or adapters as I am yet to finalize the loop.

My 4930k is overclocked at 4.3GHz, 1.30v LLC LvL2, 24 hours stable. I also have my 780Ti's overclocked aswell.

My question was whether or not It would be beneficial or even if I need a second Radiator? I potentially have the ability to add a second 240mm radiator .

2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    Can the pump do that much flow?

Paladone says thanks.
  3. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't know, but I bought the pump that was recommended to me. It was also the most expensive one they sell.

4. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    From what I have read, here, and not being a water head, The D5 is the shizzle and you are probably fine with the 360. You have Nvidea cards and an Intel CPU, both known to not be all that heat heavy.

Good luck. :D

Paladone says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Pump should handle it fine. I suspect you would see a decent drop in temps (5-7 degrees) if you added another radiator such as a 240. That's a lot of heat you are trying to dissipate with a single 360.

130w+ TDP CPU

2x ~225w TDP GPUs.

Not to mention, overclocking all of it adds a bit of heat as well.

Also what fans are you running?

Paladone says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    I am currently running:

3x BitFenix Spectre 140mm Green LED Cooling Fan (BF-FAN-140GN)
    3x BitFenix Spectre Pro 120mm Green LED Cooling Fan (BF-SPRO-120G)
    2x BitFenix Spectre 200mm Green LED Cooling Fan (BFF-BLF-20020G-RP)
    2x The standard fans that come with the H100i

I am fairly loose on my budget at the moment so If I really do need different fans I can afford to swap over.

Edit: I do like the green lighting though, however I also have a couple of bitfenix lighting strips.

7. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Those are fairly weak fans for radiators with only 0.6mmH20 static pressure rating.

Paladone says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I'd add a second radiator just in case.

That'll allow you to run slower fan speeds :)

Paladone says thanks.
  9. Paladone

Thanks Received:
  10. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Before making any statement I must let you know that I'm highly biased when talking about fans.

If there is Noctua available as a possibility/purchase then definitely go with Noctua.

I tried lots of fans, even 1850 Gentle Typhoons but ultimately I switched all of my fans, and I have lots of them, to Noctuas 140mm and 120mm.

They may be not the best cooling fans but they are just whisper quiet, which to me is the most important thing when it comes to fans.

The layout is fine, you could have done the other way around and it would not have made significant differences, as long as your pump is after your reservor (and in your case it is) then you are fine :)

Paladone says thanks.
  11. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    The Corsair SP120s(Quiet or Performance Editions) have the most static pressure of any of those fans so they are more suited for radiators.

Paladone says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    do you have a picture of your system with green lights?
    i would love to see it :) i like green pc builds, green i mean like these glasses... :D

Paladone says thanks.
  13. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Either of these depending on temps the system needs to achive
    Corsair SP120 120mm Performance Edition Cooling Fan (CO-9050007-WW) Air Pressure 3.1 mm
    SP = static pressure fans
    *Use with fan controller
    Note: Other member of TPU may have different suggestions and experience but I am going with SP120's [keep in mind how many fins per square inch the rad has.]

Looks fine [Res - Pump - CPU; then any order]

atb

Law-II

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    Paladone says thanks.
  14. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    See my system specs, I have a single Titan and its oc'ed to ~1100mhz while my 4930k is stock. I am using Heatkiller blocks for both and a D5 pump with EK-res combo (the small one 100mm or ml I don't know) going through a SR1 280 and a SR1 240 rads. Noiseblocker 140mm and SP120 fans (the later need to be under 1200rpm or they are just way too noisy producing an annoying sound so a voltage reduction is required unless you buy the low rpm versions already).

Considering your rad and your waterblocks, you shouldn't have big restriction from those and you should easily be able to add another 240 or 360 rad before thinking of placing a 2nd D5 pump, though a 2nd pump is said to immediately reduce your temps by 2-3 degrees when that many components come into play (I've seen that on some wc component reviews)..

As for your temperatures, my CPU is at 67c max and GPU 43c max under stress tests/benchs/gaming. So I guess that with your system your GPUs will stay below 50c. As for you CPU, if you are saying it is already OCed I guess its under air on an AIO already, therefore in the worst case you will not have any considerable improvement but that just depending on the quality of your chip (how well it oc's) and by the looks of it its very average so you should be in the 70-80c area, well that's my guess...

EDIT: just adding that, since you have spent that much already, just do yourself the favor and spend another 50-60GBP for the additional 240mm read to certainly shave a few degrees for you CPU temps (most important since gpus wont heat too much anw).

Paladone says thanks.
  15. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    I'm in Radrok's corner for this - I'm a Noctua sponsor. I have 6 running on my two 360 rads. My system is set for noise though so my fans are set to run at around 400rpm idle, up to 800 max at load. I'm cooling an overclocked 3930k using close to 1.4v and a Titan at 1.2v @ 1124 core and 7000 memory. With a 22 degree ambient (heating on!) max temps in BF4 after a few hours are 45 gpu and 65 cpu (hottest core).

It really all depends on why you are cooling. If it's noise, I don't think you can beat Noctua with a low fin density radiator (or two). But if the rads are high fin density (I've not checked), the SP120's as noted may be better.

But yeah, 2 rads for your set up.....

Paladone and radrok say thanks.
  16. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Corsair's are noticeably noisier, too.

Paladone says thanks.
  17. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I really love Noctua's fans, however I have been using the Corsair SP120's w/ a fan controller and prefer them currently.

james888, MxPhenom 216 and Paladone say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    Hahah sure thing, here is a picture of the setup - http://imgur.com/teHwYLq

I am yet to take a photo of the PC it'self but I'll let you know when i do :p

Do you think the NZXT 820 built in fan controller is fine or would it be necessary to purchase a proper one?

XSI says thanks.
  19. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    Yeah its gona be ok for the specified number of fans supported however I am certain that it is not necessary with the AX rads some good fixed 1000-1200 rpm fans will be good enough and will be silent as well. Imagine that removing my voltage reducer extensions from each of my fans (2x 140mm and 2x 120mm) makes them spin at around 1800rpm, the pc sound like a leafblower machine and the temperature only reduces but 2 degrees Celsius. Totally NOT worth it. Just set you fans to be inaudible, the custom WC you paid for will work well for you.

Paladone says thanks.
  20. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There's one sure way to know. Does the temps of your loop/components raise over time?

That being said, your pump will be able to handle the extra radiator no problem. :)

Paladone says thanks.
  21. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    Yeah :) green for the win :) i have 2 front fans same color

Paladone says thanks.
  22. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    Just a quick question guys; I am mounting my pump in my case, and am wondering if it has to be sitting upright? Ie. cant it be on its side?

23. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    The pump must normally lie on it's base or pointing up. The installation manual will show you how NOT to fit it. The only awful orientation i can think of it with the inlet pointing down.

Paladone says thanks.
  24. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    I was planning on mounting it with velcrow, directly below the reservoir with the inlet pointing up and the outlet going out to the left; would this be totally out of the question (I literally cannot see any other way to route everything) The pump didn't come with a manual for whatever reason.

EDIT: Here is a picture - http://imgur.com/CSQ7Q1o

(I also have tones of spare tubing :p)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  25. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    I actually managed to re-arrange everything so that the pump is facing up right. It is however at a bit of an angle, does that matter?