1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

do i need extra cooling for NB ob a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by keakar, Dec 19, 2007.

1. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    do i need extra cooling for NB on Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard?

i will not be overclocking at all and it will be used for light to moderate gaming.

I will be using:

CPU - Q6600 2.4ghz
    Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
    Ram - A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    Video Card - EVGA 8800gt 512mb in a
    Case - Tagan Aplus Aluminium ATX Mid Tower

i have heard the P35 get very hot so do i need better cooling than stock?

what happens to the warranty if i remove the stock heatsink? (i think i already know the answer to this one lol)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  2. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You've not specified any significant plans for OC'ing. I'd assume you're running everything at stock speeds in which case, NO, you'll not need better cooling, you're doing good.:)

keakar says thanks.
  3. choppy

choppy

Thanks Received:
    i have that mobo , at stock and up to fsb speeds of 333mhz its ok, after 333 it starts to warm up where you cant keep for finger on it for more than 2 seconds but all in all its fine as it is

keakar says thanks.
  4. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    Maybe better and/or more case fans, cpu cooler, new NB cooler, some AS5 and Ceramique

keakar says thanks.
  5. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    ok, so far 2 people think im ok as is and 1 thinks i should get extra cooling

what say everyone else?

6. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    honestly.. you can never have enough or better cooling..I think a good cpu cooler, in combination with good air flow and good case fans and you should be fine..

keakar says thanks.
  7. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    I ran all my stuff on stock cooling for a while with no problems...you shouldn't have any problems either.

keakar says thanks.
  8. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    well if i need it i need it and im happy to buy it but i dont want to do it unless it will be worth it to lose the board warranty for.

i'll do whatever is best and im a person who doesnt like to spend extra money but at the same time i would rather not settle for "thats good enough you should be ok"

if i definately dont need extra cooling then fine, im a tightwad and iwont spend the money if i dont need to

so does it:

1) it needs extra cooling but you dont "have" to add it, you can get by without it
    or
    2) you dont "need" extra cooling but it would be better to add more cooling for it

also i would welcome any recommendations you might have for a good high quality
    northbridge heatsink/fan combo that is also quiet

9. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well if you look at it that way, then no cooling method is good enough because they all have cons. Stock cooling is perfectly fine, that's why it's provided by the companies. If you don't want to spend extra money then you don't have to...that's all there is to it. Stock cooling is completely adequate if you're not going to be overclocking.

keakar says thanks.
  10. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    ok, so what i've heard about the heatsinks getting too hot to put your finger on is only talking about when its being overclocked?

11. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    that could be true, and it could be false.. different people and different equipment have different experiences based on many things including the environment surrounding the pc. honestly. you dont really need the extra cooling, but heat is the PC killer, it's been proven. it was in this months edition of Maximum PC.. honestly.. you dont really need a new nb cooler unless you feel you do, check out the temps using everest and stuff.. I just recommend better fans than the stock fans in the case, and more fans if the case will hold them.. i like to settle for better temps in exchange for some extra noise, but it doesnt bother me because I wear a headset when gaming so it doesnt really matter. lol If you're going to OC... I do however recommend an aftermarket CPU cooler..

keakar says thanks.
  12. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Take a look at my specs. My mobo is a slightly older sibling to yours. I've given it quite some OC'ing and the NB is running 34C at the most. The thing is, the clowns at Gigabyte used a NB cooler which they'd earlier use on the 945P, P965 ignoring the fact that P35 and P31 have a new smaller fabrication process that translates to a lesser thermal envelope.

Well unless you're the most hardcore overclocker where you'd choose liquid/TEC cooling blocks, you really don't need a replacement for your NB's cooler. Besides the northbridge chip on your board is not in the ceramic BGA package, it has an exposed core a la Athlon K7. improper measures in applying thermal compound would result in even worse cooling than before.:rolleyes:

keakar says thanks.
  13. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    thanks for all your help guys :toast: