1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do i need to replace my PSU?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by a_ump, Jul 19, 2009.

1. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    Hey all, basically i finally got my q6600 stable(OCCT stable, not linpack though) at 3.2ghz but with it my 12v rail according to OCCT dropped.
    [​IMG]

now i'm pretty sure this isn't good, but i could be wrong. Now system is stable as is right now but i finally got a job and paycheck is coming next friday and i'm looking at this GTX 275. Now on the side of my PSU it shows what the 4 different rails do.
    12v1 - CPU1
    12v2 - PCI-E2/CPU2
    12v3 - M/B accessory
    12v4 - PCI-E1(main graphic card)

so is OCCT just reading the 12v rail for my CPU and the 4th 12v rail for my GPU is still good to go, or is still collectively and all the 12v rails are crapping out on me?

So do i need to get a new PSU before i purchase my new graphic card? if so i'm going to get this unless you all point me a different direction. Corsair 750XT
  2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would replace it. You got that one about maxed out, it may not last long.
  3. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    this is quite dissapointing, as i bought this OCZ GameXtreme 700watt 80+ certified PSU a year and half ago for like $120 or so and was kinda expecting it to be really good quality and last longer than my CPU, but apparently not. anyone else ever had this sort of run in with OCZ's PSU's? i mean 700watt should be plenty for my system.

I think the reason its 12v is low is because my CPU overclocked at 3.2ghz running 1.4v uses about 156watts according to http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine. I then wanted to find out the wattage on each rail so i found this site http://www.crownaudio.com/apps_htm/designtools/ohms-law.htm, which i used to calculate 18amps on 12 volts and got 216 watts, then add in that the PSU can't fully utilize the 18amps and its a year and half old. i guess my q6600 is sucking the first rail dry. That a good assumption?

but i'm off to work and i'll be back on round 9 or so, any more feedback is always welcome.
  4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    There's no way you're using much more than maybe 350-400W...I would say it could be a reading error, don't necessarily just trust software to read correctly, you may want to backprobe the CPU and PCI-E connections while under load (Yellow=12v, Black=Ground) and watch with a multimeter to see if the onboard chip and occt/software is even reading correctly tbh.

I've ran a Q6600 @ 3.6ghz on a P45 @ 400FSB with 4GB of 1066 with 3HDD's, 1 DVD, 8 fans on a Corsair HX520 without any issues (has 3x18A 12v rails), so unless your PSU is starting to fail I would question whether or not it's a read issue more-so than a true PSU issue. Do you have the graphs that it saves after the test? Post that up too, to show the 12V droop too.

If you really feel you must replace your PSU I'd recommend you go for a decent single 12V rail unit, like the PC P&C Silencer 750 Quad (60A 12V rail) or similar. Those combined 12v rails (each at 18A in specs) should be around 50-57A combined though, I just have a tough time believing that 700W PSU would really struggle with your current build man.

I'd say try other programs like Everest, HWMon, the MB's monitorring utility too to see if they are reading different or similar too..now no doubt the q6600 is a power hog I don't think it should be affecting your PSU quite that horridly tbh...that doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with the PSU as-is, but it might be worth testing and monitorring with other methods to see if you're not just getting an incorrect reading from software in the first place.

:toast:
    a_ump says thanks.
  5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I had that PSU give out by flipping it over in a case. The replacement is still strong, so strong I bought a second:). Both are still going to this day. I chalked it up to my first PSU was built on a Friday at 2:30.:laugh:
  6. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    Before you buy anything (or RMA) check the voltage with an ohm meter.(dont depend on software)

That said, I just returned a new OCZ 500 (popped with about a 200watt load within about 3 min) LOL, OCZ said "dont worry about it it was just the fuse" I would have been so pissed if it had taken out my new X58:mad:....

I will never buy a cheap/inexpensive PS again. I picked up the Corsair HX750

To anyone going to do any OCing or comp building get a "Kill a watt" and an inexpensive digital ohm/volt meter. They are very easy to use and will eliminate any more guessing...
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  7. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    dam everest wanting me to purchase it :( 12v reading is covered up by TRIAL. ima reboot and see what bios says.

EDIT: well my bios says this on my rails
    3.3v - 3.22v
    5v - 4.91v
    12v - 12.24v

so i wonder which to trust, i'm leanin towards bios but idk, and i don't have a multi meter nor one available to me currently. gonna try to find another program to check it

EDIT 2: i downloaded speedfan and it states my 12v is 9.82v....
  8. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    the bios reading is without much of a load..Careful when basing your hardware on that...

Stupid ohm meters are as low as $3...there is really no excuse for not getting at least that.
    a_ump says thanks.
  9. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    yea, like i said this friday i thk i get my paycheck, so i'll pick up a multi meter at wal-mart for w/e, and then check out my PSU.
    I'm going to do a run of OCCT again and post up the graphs of the 12v rail. i always delete my previous ones
  10. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    one other thing is to run everything at stock voltages and no OCing and see what the voltages are...

If there is ANY chance the comps 12V rail is 10V that is seriously bad. (It may sound silly but sometimes low voltage can screw up stuff as bad/more than higher voltage (unless its like 1000V on a 12V rail thats really bad too:laugh:)
  11. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    well i OCCT's graph shows the same thing
    [​IMG]

i'll try running it at stock and see what happens

EDIT: rebooted with cpu settings and voltages set to auto and same, 10.37v.

i thk my only options now is to purchase a multi meter and check it legitamently instead of with software. Shame that i'm lookin at a new PSU now, that puts my system upgrade order behind :(
  12. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Those dips could definately become an issue if they're too long and become closer in intervals. The lowest drop I see though is right about the 10.9-11v mark, while that's a healthy drop, it's not something I'd be too worried about as the overall average is around 12.3v. But it could also be a sign leading up to it's demise too...so definately don't take it with a grain of salt. Really odd though...too bad you can't run out and get a multimeter now...that's what I'd do imo. Here's to hoping that's more of a fluke than a serious situation.

:toast:
  13. kgreene

kgreene New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a question is it normal for the voltage to have some drops like this under a normal load with no over clocking?

Attached Files:

• 12v.jpg
      12v.jpg
      File size:
      51.9 KB
      Views:
  14. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    As long as the dips aren't huge when at load. That could do some serious damage.
    kgreene says thanks.
  15. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    those aren't dips guys lol that's why i edited my post, the green line is CPU load, the red line is the 12v rail rating. which stayed consistent at 10.38v. :(
  16. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Ahh lol, I should know better lol...well it did stay solid though, which IS a good sign. What does a program like HWMon read? At this point I'd say seriously consider finding a cheap multimeter to verify. Really at that low of voltage, I would imagine under normal OCCT stress you'd be crashing/shutting down, mass errors, bsod's, random crashes, etc...I can't be quite 100% on that since I haven't had that issue before, but I would imagine you'd have some severe stability issues if not a completely unusable rig at heavy loads if that voltage readout were in-fact true.
  17. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    can you provide a link to the HWMon download? i can only find links for the patch.
  18. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
  19. denice25 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think you need to replace it!!
  20. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    CPUID software (CPU-Z/HWMonitor etc.) use the same monitoring technique as OCCT...if one is reading it wrong chances are so will the other.

OCCT gives me random BS all the time and fails to read the correct voltage, see screenshot.

[​IMG]

Personally, I think OCCT is FUBAR at reading 12v lines and I wouldn't believe its voltage readout....if you want to be sure, get yourself a multimeter as already mentioned and check yourself. :)

Edit: Single 4870 being used (both XFX @ RMA) and total power draw of around 400 - 450w~ full load with my setup at the moment.
  21. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    yep, HWmonitor is reporting 10.37v as well :(. o well. thx guys, i thk ima go ahead and purchase the new PSU with the GTX 275 i have in mind, just to get a single rail PSU anyways, i don't like the idea of 18amps per rail, each with a different component it is for. I want a single 12v rail as the second upgrade im doing is a Gigabyte UD3R and OCZ vendette 2 cooler, so if i manage to oc my q6600 more then that'd be even more juice on the 18amp rail it currently runs on.
    My first upgrade purchases are going to be the Corsair 650TX with a Gigabyte GTX 275 if i can manage to fit the graphic card in.

What i find puzzling is as Kursah pointed out, i figured i'd have instability problems especially when loading my 12v rail, but like i said my CPU is OCCT stable and i don't have problems like with anything i do no BSOD's or crashes of any sort so idk :p.

thanks everyone.

EDIT: i decided to uh purchase ;) Everest Ultimate and here's a screenie of it's 12v reading.
    [​IMG]
    hells yea :) i trust this over OCCT simply because its in line with what my bios says, you have to pay for this software so i dub it better, and well it means i don't have to purchase a new PSU.

what do you all thk?
  22. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I have zero issues with my setup and OCCT still fails to read the voltage correctly, even when I use my two 4870's and put even more load on the 12v rails than your setup will.

To be on the safe side, and to have one for future tests, buy a multimeter anyway. :toast:
    a_ump says thanks.
  23. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    I think it is fine. Just get you a meter and check it then you will know for sure.
    I use to run that same PSU and never had a problem with it.
    Had a highly overclocked system and 2 video cards in SLI and it never missed a beat.
    a_ump says thanks.
  24. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    yea, i thk i will get a multi meter, there's been a couple situations in the past where i could used one so might as well pick one up to double check my rail and for future uses that i kno will come up. I wish newegg sold multi meters :p
  25. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
    a_ump says thanks.