1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do motherboards have wireless?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by vawrvawerawe, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    Or do you always have to get a separate wireless card?

2. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    vawrvawerawe, welcome to the forum. But you are at 80+ posts a day. You are like a kid in a candy shop. Slow down for goodness sakes! This forum has a maximum "Thanks" count per day... and will likely introduce a maximum "posts" count given the rate you are going at!

3. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Some have it built in although those boards are usually a little more expensive, just have to check the specs.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    not usually

5. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    Actually almost all the posts were yesterday; around 150. Was gathering info about my computer build. Now all I have left to buy is CPU and GPU.
    Honestly I could care less about post counts.

--

Will it matter if I get a wireless N-300 card vs an N-600 (dual-band) card?

6. Ghost

Ghost

Thanks Received:
    Post as much as you want, as long posts are on-topic and identical posts are not posted multiple times.

On-topic: there are several mobos that come with Wi-Fi. They usually have Wi-Fi in their name (GA-Z77X-UD3H-WB WIFI, for example), sometime they don't (Z77 Extreme9).

That depends on whether you need it or not.

7. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    You can get more data throughput copying files between devices on your network if your router is N dual band capable, but that's about it. If you're planning on using this wireless card in a gaming machine... I'd recommend finding some way to run a hard wire. Wireless isn't any good for gaming.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Wired is 10x as fast as wireless. I dont like transfering files on wireless

dude12564 says thanks.
  9. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  10. caleb

Thanks Received:
    Had P5K Premium Wifi/AP. It was actually a usb card in a custom slot on pcb.
    I actually used it a lot as an access point when I didn't have Internet at home.
    I used my android phone connected via USB for internet access (3G). I shared that connection using the onboard Wifi.

11. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    some has its own wireless card in their package like mini itx board some may not give any wireless card
    btw if you need wireless card its kinda cheap now so if your board doesnt give it just buy it separately and it would be fine :toast:

12. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    I don't transfer files on wireless. Only Internet. And Wireless-N is the exact same speed download from internet, as Gigabit eithernet, due to limitations of download speed from the internet provider.

ISP: up to 40 Mbps
    Wireless-N: 300 Mbps

Even Wireless-G is faster than internet download speed:

Wireless-G: 54 Mbps

So there is no reason to choose ethernet over wireless, unless you pay $150 per month for 100 Mbps internet.

13. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    That's not how it works. You're also not considering latency, there is almost 0 latency when it comes to wired components, but with wireless signals latency is pretty astronomical. That is why people advocate against using Wireless for gaming, because it screws you over pretty badly. I also have no damn clue what you are talking about when it comes to Wireless-G being "faster" than Ethernet.

14. Ghost

Ghost

Thanks Received:

Those are theoretical speeds which aren't easy to reach.

There will be some sort of drop in performance depending on performance of router, adapter and work conditions (distance between the two, interference, wall thickness, etc.). Latency/ping will also increase a little.

BTW, I pay 10 euros/month for 100Mbps (40Mbps worldwide) :p.

15. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    Who offers $20 for 100 Mbps internet??? That's the price for DSL 2 Mbps

16. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Maybe where you live. Different places, different prices.

17. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    You didn't answer the question. I don't believe you.

18. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I was referring to what Hat said. As far as the transferring file. But your statement is not correct considering actual speeds and latency. I was just encouraging you to go wired even with just browsing the interwebs. Wireless is the last resort. But if you have to then fine. And g is not 54mbps its more like 5Mb/s which is about the same as the average ISP if not slower. 600N is about 9MB/s If you run two nics for dual band you may get 12Mb/s

19. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    No, Most motherboards do not include a WLAN chipset.

Cards or USB adapters must be purchased and installed.

Please feel free to PM me for any WLAN help and I'll be happy to assist. Thanks.

I do highly recommend high powered USB adapters if you must have wireless (if your house's layout won't permit or if your landlord won't allow you to run cables) I recommend Amped Wireless! very powerful stuff.

Also avoid getting an older router they have very slow processors. Look for ones that have over 500Mhz processors in them and look for ones that have a high simultaneous connections. Also having your wireless on a non-congested channel will help ... use a tool like InSSIDer or the amped wireless analytics tool on android or airmapper from fluke networks android app. those are great for finding weaknesses in wifi setups.

finally, make sure you have the latest firmware for your router as well as having your security on.

20. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Ok then. Kramnet have 100/100 (globally, not some limited crap) for about €17/month. I'd have to pay €25 for 100/100, Telecom3.

21. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Just because you have a 20mbit connection doesn't mean wireless is going to give you what you want. Talking raw transfer speed alone, I have a machine here connected to my network though Wireless G, and a 10mbit internet connection. When I do a speed test on the wireless machine, I may hit 6mbit or so. Then I can test on my wired machine and hit full speed. Same test server, same time of day, every variable is the same, the only change being whether I'm using a wired or wireless connection.

So using wireless can slow down your raw transfer speeds, but transfer speed isn't everything. There's also latency to consider. Any wireless connection is going to have significantly more latency than a wired connection, and wireless connections also have the added bonus of random latency spikes that wired connections don't have.

In short, just because your wireless capability is 54mbit and your internet speed is 40mbit doesn't mean that you're going to get the same performance from a wireless connection as you would a wired connection. Wireless sucks.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Frick

Thanks Received:
    It gets better and better though. For phones and laptops and the likes it's excellent.

23. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    True enough, but nobody uses their smartphone to do things like play Battlefield 3 online. This thread is about desktop pc motherboards with wireless though, and knowing this guy has been digging around trying to figure out the best desktop pc build within a certain budget, and knowing he's planning on using it for gaming, I'm trying to convince him to run a hard wire. I don't think you'll find anyone trying to get him to run a hard wire to his tablet for better internet performance.

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    Actual real-life performance speeds, when downloading torrents I have never gone over 4MBps download speed, whether ethernet or wireless. I tried back and forth over several months and there was no difference in download speed whatsoever. That's why I eventually stopped plugging in my PC to the ethernet cable, because it made no difference whatsoever, just an extra hassle (you see my main PC is a laptop right now.)

Also I think you meant 54Mbps is more like 5 MBps. But in fact it is up to 6.75MBps. 54/8=6.75

You must understand the difference between MB and Mb.

MB = MegaByte
    Mb - MegaBit

1MB = 8Mb

To get even 5MBps download speeds over the internet, you have to have DARN FAST internet!!! (40Mbps DL)

Your ISP internet is rated in MegaBIT.

25. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    I have zero issues in any games with a good N300 router and N300 USB wifi cheapy. Ping and latency no worse than anyone I play online with.

vawrvawerawe says thanks.