1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do motherboards have wireless?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by vawrvawerawe, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    In the end it's ultimately up to you, I'm just saying having a hard wired connection is better for a desktop computer, especially for gaming. You won't be moving a desktop computer around as much as you would a laptop, so the stability of a wired connection would be preferable.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    For gaming I agree 100%. I always had better online gaming performance when using a wired connection, especially on PS3.

You're absolutely right - when it comes to gaming, stability of the connection becomes more of a concern. If you click the fire button, every 100th/ms counts. With a Wireless connection, there is always the issue of interference, which is less prevalent in a physical wired connection because the ethernet cable is physically shielded from interference.
  3. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    with my amped wireless access point wireless connections are just about as good as wireless on most anything... even demanding xbox live games.
  4. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Some things I would take into consideration:

Wired is more secure than wireless (considering your location, I would take security seriously)
    Turning the wireless off on your router saves electricity and heat (my router gets noticably hotter with wireless turned on)
    My kids' Xbox likes to connect it to automatically when it turns on since I first connected them. I like to control what connects, and when.
    No outside interference.
  5. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Wired routers generally have 12V 1-1.5A while wireless generally have 2A or more. So yeah it is a bit of a different. Electricity isn't that much but heat could be a problem, depending of how you can place it. Stuck between other hot computers/devices is not to recommend unless it has active cooling (yes I've busted a router that way). ;)
  6. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure heat caused the death of my last router in the summer. We turn the router off at night now, and only turn it on in the morning as the thought of it running 24/7 just scares me now :laugh:
  7. SaltyFish

SaltyFish

Thanks Received:
    Desktop motherboards, due to the expectation that they will not move much, do not come with integrated wireless. That said, some motherboard manufacturers include wireless cards with their motherboards (e.g. Gigabyte).

If you are not moving your desktop around, you're better off with a wired connection. WiFi, like other wireless technology, is more sensitive to interference. If people around you use their microwaves often or you live on a major flight path with airplanes flying over you every five minutes, your connection may get severed. Then there's the usual obstructions between the router and receiver. Trying to reposition a desktop (especially a full tower case) for optimal reception is a hassle.
  8. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    I agree; but my wireless is hidden with 32-character random letter, number, symbol, and case for BOTH the SSID and password, which I repeat, are hidden, and are WPA2, run through several routers and other more advanced security measures; you could put 100tb of rainbow tables for a year on my network and never crack it. You'd need a serious supercomputer to crack my network; and if you can afford a 100-million dollar supercomputer and a world-class hacker, then you have no need to crack my home network.

Did you consider turning down the heat in your room? I keep my room at between 65 and 73 degrees F. At night I keep it closer to 55 degrees. Then again I live in a colder climate where it's easier to keep the room cool when I want to. But you live in England so it really should not be a problem! You are higher latitude than I am. Then again, depends on how far from the ocean your house is. In the summer the warmest it gets here is 85 degrees, maybe 90 1 or 2 days a year. I got a nice window AC unit off craigslist for $50. You should get one.

Yea, make sure not to let your router overheat ;)

There are no microwaves near my room and no airplane fields anywhere near my house, so that interference is not a concern. I've never had any interference issues in my room. Not to mention that my WIFI router is located in my room, feet from my computer.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  9. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Or a couple of good graphics cards.
    Not possible to turn down the heat in summer. I know it's England, but we do actually get some heat here :laugh: And I live about 300 metres from the sea.
  10. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    Fifty 680 SLI with 100tb of rainbow tables could not crack my network in a year. You have to know it exists first before you can even begin trying to crack it. And you have to be an expert hacker to crack WPA2 64 random mixed characters of mixed case letters, numbers, and symbols. (32 for SSID and 32 for password).

Personally, I'm not even sure that cracking the network is even possible. At least, not without some über-advanced algorithm on a 100-million dollar supercomputer from a career CIA hacker.

It would be much easier to pretend to be a friend and become friends and hang out at my house and ask for my password to get on the internet. Then again, I don't even give out my internet password to friends.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  11. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    most mini ITX boards have inbuilt Wifi.

since they are aimed at HTPCs (home theatre PC) they come with inbuilt. another reason to ad wifi to miniITX is the lack/restriction on number of PCI slots. also PCI slots can then be used for GPus.

/thread
  12. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I have occasional issues with ping and latency when others are active on my same network.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    One word: Bitcoin

Actually, two: Bitcoin Botnet :laugh:

Yes, it's very possible to crack your network. The tools are readily available.
    95Viper says thanks.
  14. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    But you have to know it's there first. You can't just randomly try to crack a network when you don't know where it is or if it exists.

You can't crack something you can't see.

If you tried to crack "other network" you'd probably crack one of my neighbor's networks, but not mine.

botnet, however, you're right, but you have to have a specific place to target. Also my router has safeguards against such things.

And anyway you might get through the first router but not the second. If you could even find any of them.
  15. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    To someone who is well versed, your router and visibility is the last thing they're going to be worried about.

You can carry on thinking that you have a perfect uncrackable network all you like, I'm just telling you that it is NOT uncrackable. Even though you have clearly taken good steps to protect yourself, you shouldn't think you're invincible.

It is difficult, but rest assured it IS do-able. Not trying to scare you into being more secure, just clearing up your misconception of an invincible network.
    95Viper says thanks.
  16. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    looks like you need to get a new router!!! wow. mine has never overheated and it's pretty old (Netgear WGR614v9 had it for 6 years) and it's been pretty roughed up.
  17. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    Agreed! My router has never overheated either.
  18. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Good old BT - I can always trust them to screw up my internet providings.
  19. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Um... Maybe a botnet... Why a bitcoin botnet? Those went away almost entirely with gpu mining. Now that asics are coming and the block reward is halving I would expect thou them to out right disappear.

There is always ways to crack a network. How many encrypted chips have there been out there that were supposedly uncrackable?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    T'was merely an inside joke ;)
  21. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Ok then... :confused:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    SSID hidden is hidden, but still transmitted in certain packets. So, SSIDs can be easily retrieved.

It is good your are using WPA2 and a strong password; however, even that is not uncrackable.

You may wish to do a little more reading up on what is what when it comes to Wi-Fi security.

Debunking Myths: Is Hiding Your Wireless SSID Really More Secure?
    Finding Hidden SSID’s
    Recover the Network Name from a Wi-Fi network that's not broadcasting its SSID.

Quote from the article link above:
  23. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    You don't understand. Even for an expert it will not be possible to crack my internet password without a supercomputer handy, or a massive botnet, and even then it would take years - and I change my password every six months. So either the best of the best or the worst of the worst. No amateur hacker or neighbor will even be able to crack my internet.

Moreover, you are wrong- the SSID is not even being transmitted, so no, you could not read it over the airwaves.

You keep replying with false answers as if you have not even read my responses.

You're retarded if you think that you could crack a wpa2 password of 64 * 4 = 256 characters under WPA2. Or else just ignorant.

quote from site regarding cracking passwords:

p.s. I am doing all the math for you. The numbers are STAGGERING. Will post shortly.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  24. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    $50 and the cloud server would have your network naked within an hour. Random ASCII characters are not exactly the end all of security.

Your SSID is being broadcast, just not in the manner you are used to. There are always packets floating around with the SSID in them. Don't take everyone wrong on here they are just reminding you that you are not god your network is not uncrackable. The DoD mainframe isn't uncrackable people have breached the outer layers of its security within 60 seconds on many many occasions. It's level of security makes WPA2 look like an open network.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    95Viper and remixedcat say thanks.
  25. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Not true. If you're using TKIP someone could crack your network in a couple minutes with a laptop using a man in the middle method where you actually use packets sent between a client and the server to determine what the encryption key is. AES can be cracked, but it certainly hasn't been perfected to anything beyond dictionary and brute force attacks IIRC.

Also, even if the SSID isn't being broadcast, every time you send a packet to your router or one comes from it, the wireless packet has the SSID embedded inside of it, so as long as there is network traffic, your SSID is exposed. There is no way to completely hide it.

Most neighbors who are smart enough to crack WPA2 most likely will have their own internet, you just have to keep the dumb people out.

...and finally, Wi-Fi with a good signal doesn't impact internet speed or latency a whole lot.
    [​IMG]

This wireless is also the Anthros PCI-E wireless built into my ASUS P9X79 Deluxe.

Attached Files: