1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do MultiThreaded Games Take Stress Off The GPU?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by reze-daniel, Jul 10, 2007.

1. reze-daniel

reze-daniel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello there fellow forum goers, i was wondering if games which are capable of utilizing both cores of my CPU (E6320) take stress off the GPU.

I am asking this because i recently played the demo of Overlord and i noticed that the GPU temp was significantly lower than when i play CnC3 or Oblivion which do not use both cores to their fullest.

2. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Every game is different. Some games, especially oblivion will use your cpu and gpu to its fullest extent. My guess is overlord is not very graphically intensive, or is coded badly.

3. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    London - Close your eyes and you'll see me
    It's a platform game with stylish and clean, but not "cutting edge," graphics- that's why. For example , it can be used on Max settings on an X800XT I've lent to a friend @ 1280x1024. Oblivion couldn't run like that. Hope that helped.

4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Frankly, you want more stress taken off of your CPU, that's why GPU's are more complicated than ever, but both work in tandem together. But you will see performance increases in games when turning on the SMP/Multi-Thread feature. Some games like Supreme Commander come with SMP auto turned on and detect how many threads to run or something along those lines. Also game design and system capabilities play a role in how much can be used and how much will be used. Since game designers have to please customers with so many different setups it's tough to make them use each and every PC to it's fullest and have an enjoyable game for at least most of the people who buy it. But with more people on the Dual Core or more Bandwagon, it's getting a-lot better. And with GPU's doing their own "multi-threading" that also helps to more efficiently handle tasks. :toast:

5. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    not really. it just makes the amount of virtual frames your cpu can make more. the gpu turns those into the 2d image you see. as kursah said the gpu is already multi thearded because of the way the geometric calculations are produced, and fancy gpu stuff (i love my description, lol)

6. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Hey a multi-threaded GPU can handle tasks, have you seen the Folding@Home for ATI GPU's there mr. toughguy? Hehe.

Plus you gotta remember the CPU handles physics, AI, rule sets, etc, so the more load the GPU can process the better, that's where TnL came from back in the original GeForce days, that was designed to process Transform and Lighting so the CPU didn't need to as much to relieve load to allow it to perform other desired tasks for the game, not only to improve gaming performance, but to improve the game itself. Or at least that's how I've come to understand it. Maybe I'm wrong, but DAMMIT! That's what I believe at the moment!

Hey KW, how'd that whole PC Business thing work out? Been a while since you've mentioned it...:toast:

7. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    right on kursah. oh and the whole it thing is kind of on hold as i settle back into my routine (vacation kills the routine)...oh and this reminds me that my dad wants to see what my flyer looks like right now....i'll show you the finished copy in a pm :toast: