1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do people here ever want broken things for parts?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by D007, Jul 19, 2012.

1. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Like I have a 5850 here that has massive artifacting and I won't be using it.
    Been wondering if people ever part these things out to fix other cards or whatever.
    I know some of you guys are crazy tech savy and It seems a waste to just throw it in the garbage.

I can't help but think other people wonder this as well.
    Do people ever consider paying just for the shipping and like maybe 10 bucks for the time youd have to wait in the post office and go there, for broken parts?
    Obviouly no one wants some things that are just useless broken but a nice gpu has to have something worth salvaging.
    Or not?

Just something that's been buzzing through my head, no big deal and idk if I could peel my lazy ass off the couch, after working all day, to ship something for 10 bucks anyway lol.. But I know people could and would..

2. Elmo

Elmo

Thanks Received:
    For me i have experience issue with gpu caps tearing what i did was just send it to a local eletrical store and they fixed it.. But thinking about it was a bad investment O_O because it was a low end gpu and the price of the repair was worth a new one :D:D But if its worth the price point i would send it for repair... Some aib would repair it some dont. I have experience times when aib ask you to buy a new one because they refuse to repair it :S

D007 says thanks.
  3. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    eBay has a category for "parts/not working" and broken stuff often sells due to huge worldwide user base.

4. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Ebay scares me...lol.. I stay away from that place like the plague..
    Got ripped off by a credit card scam. Guy paid me and the money verified in my account. I shipped the product then the FBI got involved and I lost 600 dollars due to a stolen credit card and Ebay refused to reimburse me.

My gf also just last year got ripped off for her 600 dollar iphone on ebay.
    Thank you though. ^^

5. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Some people are handy with an iron and most caps are easy enough to change, it's the SMDs and such that are damn near impossible for a regular end user to replace/repair so i can see this helping some people.

If the OP is willing to donate the card i think that is what TPU is about; helping each other & advancing tech. If he was looking for a profit i think he would've been on Ebay already ;)

6. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I think the cooler could be worth something perhaps? I take it it's not under warranty? Also, sometimes these faults are caused by broken solder joints, which some people would be up for the challenge of trying to fix.

I'd steer clear too if I'd had this awful experience. Sorry to hear it. :(

7. bmaverick

bmaverick

Thanks Received:
    Ditto on the stay away from the eBay.

In the PC water-cooling and air-cooling, parts are always a plus and at times a preiminum as things are discontinued or break.

For example, Laing DDC pumps are very well sought after. When one of the PCBs in the pump go bad, people just order a DIYINHK PCB. This not only gives new life to the pump, it offers more features and better flow. I have a small stash of these non-functional pumps while people drop PMs asking for one or two here and there.

Guess you could check out the rulzes in the FS section. It may be possible to list the graphics card as non-functional with a low ended price. Who knows, the card cooler may be worth it to someone.

Velvet Wafer says thanks.
  8. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    Tried to bake it?

9. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I bought a 680..lol..
    Not a bad idea though but I still would have no use for it..

I have the standard cooling but I also have an aftermarket copper (air cooling) block that worked very well.
    Won't be using that either.

Yea Idc about making money off it, just don't want to stand at the post office for free..lol..
    This isn't the BST forum so I'm not tyring to make prices.

Anything I did would fall under that same "If I have to stand at the post office someone is paying me 10 bucks" category lol, regardless of wether it would be a mobo, a cpu, a gpu, whatever.

I'm kind of testing the water, to see how something like this might work out on tpu..
    Like a "salveage" sub forum? lol..
    Is it something that might be interesting for tpu users?

I'm sure some people would just send the stuff out free "shipping only"..
    Heck I even paid shipping to send a guy here a cooler once for free.
    So actually I paid him to send him a cooler..lol
    People here can be very helpful. :)

As is I'm sitting on a messed up 680i, a x58, and a 5850 reference gpu.
    Just couldn't bring myself to junk em yet..lol

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  10. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Understood but we are also talking about a "for parts" 5850. I wouldn't be selling a $600 anything on eBay. Most I have ever done is like $300 and I paid nothing for that particular item so...

I have always had relatively good experiences buying and selling there but I know plenty of scamming goes on and yeah they don't give a shit provided they got their money and their ass is covered. Though also still better than getting scammed on Craigslist which could involve the potential for physical harm.

11. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    What's more scary is the tons of people that don't have a clue how to use eBay that negatively influence potential buyers and sellers from using it. I have been using eBay for several years and have bought both new and used goods and never once have I had a bad experience. All it takes is a few minutes of simple checking of ratings, reviews and policies. Sellers can check buyer ratings too, no excuses really. It's not rocket science or this backdoor risk many make it out to be. Hell, they even have a buyer protection payment option. The only fault is yours for not knowing how to use the site.

Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  12. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Start up a FS/FF thread in the B/S/T section- just be as detailed as you can about what doesn't work and your terms- "PM for shipping quote" for example.

Still need to provide pics, heatware, and follow the other B/S/T forum rules.. but still a nice thing to do.;)

Dead graphics cards can be of interest because some folks need the stock colors and such from time to time to repair their cards or prep theirs for sale when they take off their water cooling hardware.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt

Thanks Received:
    I just dropped you a message. I wouldn't mind giving it a shot; I enjoy these kinds of projects!

14. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I've stuck tons of stuff on here for price of postage because it's either broken or unwanted. It will go, but might take some time.
    But yea, best thing is to just chuck any broken stuffs in a FF thread; some love for the community never goes unnoticed :p

15. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith

Thanks Received:
    I dont buy broken systems personally but i do buy sometimes doubles of a system/part just in case it brakes down again. (and only if its on a good price)

16. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't mind gettin some things that are broken. Either there is an option to try and fix (which I have no knoweledge with) or save as a collectable. I'm tring to build a collection of parts working or non just to stick on walls and display as nostalgia kinda like figurines. Anyone with anything they'd wana donate to the collection, feel free to hit me up.

Not sure about other ppl though. Its mainly a hit n miss area on that. most ppl wouldn't want to deal with something broken cause thats just anohter thing to be sitting there taking up space which most ppl prob already have a lot of stuff they're not even using. Hoarders, you know who you are lol jk.

17. Munki

Munki

Thanks Received:
    I buy broken things all the time to fix and resell.

18. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    cards for parts? no.

systems? sure.

19. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I don't buy broken stuff. Really want very little to do with it.

20. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    On my behalf I get broken stuff that I can fix sometimes. I just got myself a Gateway netbook with broken screen, a 8600GT 512megs in working condition and 2 sticks of DDR333 256megs to giveaway to poor people with older computer. So in fact I take all I can handle and refurbish. Save and sometimes make money. That's how i've built my present computer. The case have cost me more than the whole system inside because I got parts for real cheap or free.

D007 says thanks.
  21. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    It's amazing what some people are looking for, either something specific like an OEM cooler, screws, springs, etc. Typicall not the card itself.

Then there is another camp that would simply like to get a broken card on the cheap in the hope of fixing it, or using it despite being "broken"

Perhaps a new category FP (For Parts) where the understanding is whatever is being sold is non-functional and as-is.

stinger608 says thanks.
  22. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    You want me to show you how good I am at getting infractions? No?, then keep your opinions to yourself..
    Read what I said. The payment verified on my bank account, then the fbi stepped in and took it back.. Buyer protection my ass.

I got a few pm's about this actually.
    I have a 680i and a x58 as well I think just sitting around.
    I guess this is something the buy/sell/trade/giveaway forum could be used for.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  23. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Depends. Printers, PSU's and such yes, motherboards, GPU's etc no.

ERROR on the bold part. It's a forum, on the internet. It's all about opinions.

Anyway regarding that scam: How new a seller was the guy? I'm betting pretty new as he probably had not been on the scam for long. And when FBI steps in things get different. Ebay is awesome, if you know how to do things.

24. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I buy broken things all the time.

Monitors and TVS especially if I have the money to buy them, easy as hell to fix ( normally it's replace lCD or replace power board)

Typically you get 100% profit out of TVS and monitors.

Sasqui and D007 say thanks.
  25. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    eBay sux..

"Opinions are like @ssholes; everyone has one, and they usually stink!" :roll:

Gifting parts is t3h awesome!

D007 says thanks.