1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

do people use dry ice in a bath too cool reseviors of their water loop?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by freeboy, Aug 28, 2013.

1. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking the loop could have a reservoir in a cooler with either ice water or dry ice and something cold that will not be flammable, no alcohol or expensive .. or is this just a bad idea?

2. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Condensation becomes an issue when running a water-loop at low temps. It's a bad idea.

3. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    well, it wouldnt be at low temperatures, that is the point, I would use it as a lets try a banzai run at some serious OC numbers... the coolant would still be in a closed loop where the reservior is in a thermal bath, I suppose one could dunk a radiator in one too...
    Its the ; " what makes more sense.. I think dry ice has potential... but it may need some type of system to harness the lower temps... Maybe just fill a cooler with large ice created for free from a running freezer and no dry ice..
    Large ice goes in a large cooler.. like a high volume marine cooler, and then water and then submerge a device that is part of the loop to cool some overheated coolant.. maybe that would work.. we are still talking internal temps and external in the lop well above ambient and certainly in the dry air in Denver above dew point

4. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Or just, you know, save yourself that effort and do LN2 if you want an OC bonzai run? If not, just stick with generic custom loop, otherwise you might give yourself some long lasting issues.

5. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    im planning on doing this at some point, getting a bucket of water ice or bags of ice and submerging my 240 rad in it.

condensation happens when the water in the loop is X below dew pouint. ive read up on this and well if plenty of airflow and cloth in certain places condensation drips can be avoided.

also thicker hose helps. or you can get norprene hose which is insulated to a certain degree to counteract condensation.

I even want to start a thread about it. but first I need some angled fittings, lap my heatsinks and make a reservoir/tray for ice.

I know sonda has done this a few times, and some submerge small cylinder res into buckets of frozen distilled ice, wait for the ice to melt and open the res to allow frozen/chilled water to pass.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  6. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Pfft.

Just use a vertically positioned large tube reservoir (external to case), with inlet and outlet at base, use a flow disturbance device on res inlet, filter on outlet and keep top off reservoir. Then just add ice cubes made from de-ionised water to 1/2 full res. Use a drain point set just before inlet to drain to make more room for ice.

Sound practical?

d1nky says thanks.
  7. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    remember its not temp below ambient, its below DEW point

d1nky says thanks.
  8. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Never seen anyone do it myself. But on a similar note, I have seen pictures of where during the winter, people would run the hoses for there waterloop outside a window and have their radiator sitting in a bucket of antifreeze outside in sub 30'f temps.

Sasqui says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Condensation. Exactly. Clearly its not a 24/7 solution.

You have to have a medium in the loop that wont freeze. DI is -75C or something...

10. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    I hear you there.. THIS IS NOT 24 X & !!!
    OMG..
    Im over some Haswell walls and feeling frisky... lucky .. happy... and Im getting some barbs shipped by one of our members here, so in theory I could add a lendth of tubing and some coolant that I have.. pop in the barbs into my spare 360 drop in its bath and go crazy... need one tube clamp.

So for the cost of a clamp, under 2$ I could play mad speed geek!
    Thinking large 4 quart containers frozzen in our extra storage freezers and doing ice water...NOT Dry ICe...

The dry ice is more of a project addressing the question for a short time, under two hours lets say, could one use a readily available cooling solution... I supposed tap water direct to the block to the yard watering is one method, but too exposed and not really feeling it.
    The DI has some drawbacks I admit, lets say I get some and place it in a container... then in the same container place my resevoir and extra coolant.. this special oversized reservoir holding maybe a quart of coolant would sit awash in a bath of something that would both conduct heat and be found for little money in a local city area... hummm

OK back to the Water bath.......

11. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    "Just use a vertically positioned large tube reservoir (external to case), with inlet and outlet at base, use a flow disturbance device on res inlet, filter on outlet and keep top off reservoir. Then just add ice cubes made from de-ionised water to 1/2 full res. Use a drain point set just before inlet to drain to make more room for ice."

The issue here is is messy to be adding ice that you freeze only for this purpose, then remove water... add more ice etc.... can be done I am sure... good out of the box idea.. but I have a closed loop and its NOT water, Primochill...its some odd mixture sold to me when I bought most of my parts in my loop years ago....

12. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I put my rig out for 20 min during -15f temps years ago. Pumps don't like slush :laugh:

Mussels says thanks.
  13. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    It's about balance

14. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I ran my compy at insane GPU speeds when it was -12F last winter, almost 1.2Ghz on the GPU and it was a cool 34F

10 Million points folded for TPU
  15. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    nice

16. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Don't waste your time. Go with some pots if you want to use dry ice and just bench for an hour or two.

EarthDog says thanks.
  17. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    thank you for the input...

Bestshot at over 5k on water looks like a bath though.. Im validated but not stabble and WAY hot at 5.0 now..

18. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    pots are better.
    but yes you can dip a res in a bucket with some water and dry ice in it. do it in a well ventilated place. if you feel woozy, get the hell out. CO2 is odourless and will show no other symptoms if you inhale too much.

19. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Do you know why the space shuttle Challenger exploded?

Rubber seals reached near freezing temperatures, and they became brittle. Brittle rubber, a little force, and the rubber disintegrates. This is why using a highly cooled liquid is bad on the surface.

Additionally the heat differential between the processor, block, and other components generate mechanical stress. That stress makes everything run harder.

So yeah, run a pot if you want to use extremely cold materials. If that isn't an option, then you've got water. Running a cooled water loop may seem like a reasonable middle solution, but it isn't something that can be maintained.

20. XL-R8R

XL-R8R

Thanks Received:
    Chilling the water with a TEC can also be an option.

fullinfusion used to run something similar and should pop up at some point to give some form of view on that subject I'm sure. :toast:

Sasqui says thanks.
  21. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Yea, there was someone else who had a build using a TEC to chill water. There's also putting a TEC (or two for cascade) on the block, pushing heat out into a water loop.

Drawbacks in any case are condensation. Any time you have temps below the dew point exposed to air, you WILL have condensation.

22. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking no DI in short run. Too cold and impravtical.. So for short run I'm thinking ice water bath
    Then D I in the future with pots

23. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think that's reasonable. You could always use a 5 gallon bucket (or larger) filled with ice water so you can bench longer.

freeboy says thanks.
  24. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely... Add some salt and watch it drop below 0c. :)

freeboy says thanks.
  25. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    Im ridiculously rich in coolers, I have two large 90 degree coolers guaranteed to keep a block of ice for 2 days in 90 outside temp... and a couple of LARGE marine coolers, one is like a small bathtub, and I have exta freezers, and can "barrow" some 4 quart tubs for freezing water... so in practical terms I could add 50 lbs of ice and then add some water for a cold long thermal bath... run the rad to the bottom.. with what I own today including the barbs that I am awaiting ...

?.. does anyone actually use alcohol in their dry ice? Thats sounds nuts to me??? some post mentioned it as a thermal conductor, Im thinking vapors and spark and booom

great catch on the salt too