• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[-do video cards with different brand names perform differently-] HELP!!

Sooty

do video cards with different brand names work differently? I am asking this because my X800 is said to only work on the ASUS brand name. http://www.asrock.com/support/AGI_EXpress/P4Dual-915GL_AGE_Support_List.htm

I have just bidded for a card with the ATI Radeon brand on the card and am getting worried that this will not work..

I am very confused as of why the motherboard only accepts some cards anyway:banghead:

Thanks

Sooty.

trents

I wouldn't sweat it just yet. Most times those hardware compatibility tables reflect only what has been tried and confirmed to work, not the totality of what will actually work. For instance, you will see power supplies advertised "AMD Athlon XP certified" when it is certainly true that many other power supplies will work just fine with Athlon XP processors. Besides, if the X800 doesn't work in your system, just turn around and sell it on ebay. I would be more concerned if the X800 card itself came out of a proprietary system like dell or HP and was manufactured for Dell or HP for their systems. In that situation, the card may not work correctly in other systems 'cause Dell and HP customized it in some way. You say your X800 card is a namebrand ATI product. It should work. Keep us posted. Have you won the bid yet?

Sooty

going to make sure i win it if you think it is ok

trents

It Carries a "Dell" part number

Sooty,

Read my post again. This card's description says it carries a Dell part number. That's the one reservation I have. It was manufactured by ATI for Dell and it could be proprietary. On the other hand, maybe it just means Dell contracted with ATI to purchase lots of these cards and they are not electronically any different than the retail version. Chances are it will work just fine. The seller says it will work in any machine with a PCI-e slot. If it doesn't, remind him he said that and insist on a return. In the past, there have been accusations that Dell and other proprietary computer makers cut corners when they had companies manufacture components for their systems in order to cut costs. Let us know how it works out.

Steve

Last edited: