• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do you have to do a voltage mod for xt flash?

W

Wingnutt

I just got my X800Pro VIVO and am about ready to flash it to XT Spec. My question is if I'm not going to overclock it after the XT flash do I need to do the voltage pencil mod or am I ok with just the flash. And question 2 is why cant you just go into the bios of the mobo and increase the agp voltage instead of doing the pencil mod? Or is that something diffrent?

pablofrogo

The AGP voltage in the BIOS just lets you get a higher AGP freq normally 66mhz, increasing the voltage just lets you overclock that, not the card in the slot.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Wingnutt said:
I just got my X800Pro VIVO and am about ready to flash it to XT Spec. My question is if I'm not going to overclock it after the XT flash do I need to do the voltage pencil mod or am I ok with just the flash. And question 2 is why cant you just go into the bios of the mobo and increase the agp voltage instead of doing the pencil mod? Or is that something diffrent?

The volt mod is done on the card and is only for those cards that need a push to maintain the XTspeeds.. you may not need it, most don't and others to push their cards to a higher core speed... test your card first at XT speeds then I recommend the ATI XT BIOS. Be sure to follow instructions and backup your original BIOS ...