1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do you like AMD's move to kill the ATI brand?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Aug 30, 2010.

?

Do you like AMD's move to kill the ATI brand?

Poll closed Oct 22, 2010.
  1. Yes, it was long overdue

2,081 vote(s)
    27.5%
  2. Good idea, but the new logos are ugly

665 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. No, people will be confused

1,464 vote(s)
    19.3%
  4. This will hurt both brands

1,525 vote(s)
    20.2%
  5. I don't care

1,832 vote(s)
    24.2%
  1. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Goes to show they dropped the wrong name.....

If ATi was the brand name, and all the cards were named Raddeon/ Why not come out with a new name for ATi cards.

I guess that too much brain power for them.....
  2. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is going to make nvidiots have more bases to hate if there using a intel platform.
    :roll:

Love ati, going to grab my freinds HD 4870's 1gb's

Hate the fuckin drivers from them, I hate the problems, I dont ever go in to nvidia controll panel, and never have to tweak something for a new game or disable some features or AA for the game to work.

nvidia is solid on the drivers.

ATI is great, But I dont want to be in the CCC panel more then the actual game!! :toast:

*someone quote that! LOL*
  3. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    I don't understand who this is going to confuse. People who buy prebuilts usually don't know enough to know or care about the brand of card in their system. People who buy high end graphics cards ususally do enough homework to figure out the AMD=ATi. There are going to be exceptions, but there will hardly be worldwide WTF confusion about this change.
    driver66 says thanks.
  4. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I voted that I don't care. After all it'd still be the same company manufacturing the gpu's now whether it calls them AMD or ATI or Table or Chair (lol) it doesn't matter. It'd have been another story had ATI been 'sold' lock stock and barrel to some other company rather than remaining within the same company and changing name...
  5. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    It's funny, when I first read about this, I thought what a shame. But in the end, it doesn't make much difference to me, so I voted don't care.

The new logos look ok. I'm glad they've kept the red look and more or less the same style.
  6. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    It sounds weird, but i got used to it :p
  7. DarthElvis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Brand recognition goes with ATI, not Radeon. No one I know says : "I have a Radeon xxxx in my system", it's always "ATI xxxx". Just goes to show most marketing wonks are dumb as stumps. They should have kept both divisions separate. Stupid move.
    And good luck getting Intel fanbois to put anything with AMD on it in their system (even though they have been for a while now, at least they could stick with the illusion). I see this whole debacle as a win for Nvidia since AMD is known for the budget end of things, no matter how good they are in reality (this coming from an AMD user), this will hurt the Graphics/Chipset division, not help the CPU division. Market perception is king here, AMD would do well to remember that.

R.I.P. ATI
  8. MikeX New Member

Thanks Received:
    So new Ati cards will instead looks green with black or green PCB? I think AMD logo will make those cards ugly. :nutkick:

They should make AMD logo in red for graphic cards, that would be as cool.:rolleyes:
  9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's what they are doing.

[​IMG]
  10. Konceptz

Konceptz

Thanks Received:
    This was going to happen eventually, I saw this coming the moment AMD bought ATI, now you will see AMD and Intel logos on boxes, exactly as AMD wanted.
  11. HXL492

HXL492

Thanks Received:
    Generally I don't care. After all amd owns ati and can do whatever it wants with them. If you dont like the amd logos then get some ati case stickers :p
  12. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure why this is such a surprise or concern at this point. It was inevitable...
  13. Brilford Wimley

Brilford Wimley New Member

Thanks Received:
    What's in a name? Why is this relevant?
  14. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    Really shouldn't matter but it dose. Ati always seemed (to me) to invoke an enthusiast or professional level of equipment while Amd was always seems to be the less expensive alternative or cheaper cousin kinda feel. Big plus for amd sob story 4 ati. I was an ati or nothing guy. Now I'm not so close minded. And no Im not dissin Amd got really interested to what bulldozers can do.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  15. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    this poll is soooooo OLD!!!!

(sorry hehehehe)
  16. greedywaterrabbitt New Member

Thanks Received:
    I believe it to be a mistake ATI has a top notch name in Graphics--AMD has chose to run behind Intel--their name is not so great--they will be passing their failure to ATI--ATI doesn't deserve this handi cap