1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do you participate in endgame content?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Thassodar, Apr 15, 2011.

?

Do you participate in endgame content?

1. Yes!

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No.

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. If the game world is engaging.

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  4. GOTTA GET THE EPIC LOOTZ!

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Thassodar

Thassodar New Member

Thanks Received:
    This isn't just limited to MMOs but, to a certain extent, it is. When you max out your character's level do you feel obligated to continue playing the game? Do you have to get the absolute best gear possible? Do you have to re-run XYZ instance 15 times for ABC ability?

In my personal opinion once I max out my character I have, in essence, beat the game. I can kill every non-instanced (epic) mob in the game, I cannot get any more experience, and I most likely have most of the map(s) complete. I don't feel the urge to get purple gear, epic mounts, or continuing to grind for, in my mind, no reason. When you're not capped you have a goal: to get to the limit. It's the carrot-on-a-stick method used all the time. It doesn't bother me when a game has "very little endgame content" because I usually stop playing when I hit the level cap. And if you think about it once an expansion comes out all the gear you spent sooooo much time getting is now completely obsolete :banghead:

Perhaps one of you can help me see the light? Sound off in the poll, if it shows up correctly :laugh:
  2. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    I suppose it depends on the game.
  3. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't play MMOs so this does not apply so much for me, but if a SP game is entertaining enough I may continue to play after I finish the main story line (for instance, in an open world RPG).
  4. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont play mmorpgs ,but i remember playing borderlands after i beat the game and maxed out my character!time to time i would go and search thru the game world for better loot, thou i knew it had no point coz the game was over,but for some reason i kept going back again and again and again do find better loot :ohwell:
  5. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    For me when i played WoW, I did keep playing to get the best gear and run the raids over and over. It was a pride thing for me tho 'cause i was the 10th best warrior on my servers according to WoWHeroes.com and my guild was top 10.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    A good friend of mine will play instanced quests repeatedly until he gets exactly what he wants.
    I guess if you enjoy this type of gameplay and see it as a challenge, then more power to you, as different people have different ideas on what makes a game fun. Personally, I would find that tedious.

If I play after the endgame it's always because I want to explore the world and see what the developers have put in to make the gaming experience unique and diverse, not for better loot.
  7. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    I raid the endgame content in everquest 2, mostly because the people I raid with are a great bunch of people that I can have fun with.
  8. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    @ Kreij, agreed. I play games now for enjoyment only. It did get VERY tedious and boring playing WoW and other MMO's.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    When I used to play WoW I did. If I get to max level in Rift, I will see how it goes. I am really stoked though about the end-game content in The Old Republic when it launches. I however only raid with a guild/people I enjoy playing with. Otherwise it will seem like a chore and that is no fun. :ohwell:
  10. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    I used to raid with my guild in EQ, but that was more for XP than loot, so it was pretty repetitious too. (run in, get agro, run out, kill mobs .. lather, rinse, repeat)

I really enjoyed soloing in EQ, but the death penalty was pretty severe and could wipe out hours and hours of XP gain in one lost fight.
    Since I had dial-up at the time I was doing more corpse runs than anything else. :laugh:
  11. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Yes!

I still have a PS1 memory card around here with a 99+hr Final Fantasy Tactics save on it. All major characters, chocobos, items, all chars with maxed experience in all jobs, etc.

In LOTRO (my only MMO), I do like to grab every quest, finish every deed, pick up kindred mounts, etc.

If you're looking for why, maybe OCD? :)
  12. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    only if i don't have any other games to play, it tends to be driving games i play, i end up playing on once i've reached max level just so i can have every car, track etc
  13. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I raided in WoW up until Cataclysm was released. Haven't raided at all since Cata's release though.
  14. Andrei23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not anymore, used to, but I realised it's pointless. Real life is more important.
    AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  15. Thassodar

Thassodar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm getting to the endgame of Rift. Should hit it by next week if I calculate correctly. Honestly, though, I don't think I'll play as much once I hit 50. Unless there's something that will drive me to continue playing besides MAD EPIC PVP LOOTZ DAWG I just don't have the strive anymore. Even at level 46 I don't have that much motivation to keep playing as much as I used to. I suppose that can be a good thing in a way, i.e. I feel that I've gotten my moneys worth out of the game and am winding down, does that make sense?

As far as non-MMOs go I think I'd be more likely to replay and/or keep playing after the game is over simply because I know there is an end somewhere. Games like GTA IV, though, have so many easter eggs and hidden things it extremely tough to "completely" beat the game. When it comes to running around for 100 of something, though, I lose interest. Rare cars, secret missions, etc. I'm okay with; needless time-sinking collectathons I am not.
  16. Ray_Rogers2109

Ray_Rogers2109 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Depends on what it is and who's asking. Otherwise I couldn't give more of a shit and since this site is devoted to benchmarking with WoW, my respect for this place has dropped as such.
    So no.
  17. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I never played WoW or similar games but, yes if I like the game I keep on playing and maxing out. It'd be like getting god mode without the cheats. Which is nicer than cheating :)
  18. Ray_Rogers2109

Ray_Rogers2109 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also is nice maxing out a game i.e. Oblivion with a ton of mods which replace stock textures with better versions including making a busty female character. But only cheat I do is tgm and that's it. Then exploring everywhere.
  19. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    GOTTA GET THE EPIC LOOTZ!

Got 3 lvl 85's in wow. rogue/paladin and druid. I have done some end game stuff, but i like pvp the most.
  20. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    I think of Oblivion when i read this thread, not into mmo's but games like Oblivion allow you to keep playing after the main quest is over. If there's enough to do I'll consider it. If not I'll pass.
  21. gvblake22

gvblake22

Thanks Received:
    Yep, I did the same thing too. I'd say it's about a 50/50 chance that I'll keep farming/grinding/questing with a fully leveled 'toon if the gameplay is engaging.
  22. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    eh, end game usually revolves around "how many people did you meet along the way," and "do you enjoy hanging out/partying with them." If you dont have friends that keep you interested in an online game, then why arent you playing single player?
  23. Thassodar

Thassodar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Now that's the truth. I've met some pretty cool people in my guild and they have part to do with why I reupped my subscription to Rift this weekend.
  24. Crusader

Crusader New Member

Thanks Received:
    Depends on what you can do in the game for me.

If all you do is get new gear and fight more shit, then unlikely I'll stick around. But on the other hand, if you can construct buildings, explore a massive world/universe, create your own business and build it from the ground up, etc, then hell yes I'll stick around. There needs to be more than just "kill X monsters for X gear".
  25. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    create one's own business. now that is actually an awesome idea. of course it would be more profitable to do that in the real world ahha