1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do you use a sound card?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by MxPhenom 216, Mar 19, 2013.

?

Do you use a sound card?

1. Yes

56 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. No, onboard is fine

40 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    Its a love hate relationship when it comes to sound cards. I hate the driver problems they have but love that sound. I will always put them in my builds.
  2. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Anyone using Creative drivers with Realtek sound cards like I do?
  3. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    why? so you can get teh crystalizer?? does that even work?
  4. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    ^also curious
  5. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    For the proof!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From this image, you can see that the X Fi MB2 is a virtual device since it does not have any device ID.

[​IMG]

And a pic of my rig. Please note that PCIE X1 device is the USB3 card I got with my motherboard.

[​IMG]

Note: I don't know if my computer sounds as well as the real X-Fi MB2 but it sounds much much better than the stock Realtek drivers and that is good enough for me.
  6. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    Owned Audigy 2, X-fi gamer, currently using X-fi platinum. Always satisfied with those cards for their price but that's the end of the line for me. Now I'm into headphone amp through optical/coaxial or asyncronous USB. A tad more expensive and REALLY better.
  7. SaltyFish

SaltyFish

Thanks Received:
    Had many sound cards since the Sound Blaster 16 days. Currently using X-Fi Elite Pro.

The consumer sound card market has become rather niche (just like the market for CRTs) and has even regressed in terms of features since the X-Fi days. Still awesome for earlier games that really gave some thought to audio and mid-range for listening to music (the high-end usually involves external DACs). I hate to say it, but at this rate, unless some sort of PC audio renaissance happens, quality discrete consumer audio cards will become a thing of the past because there isn't much focus on it.
  8. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Xifi Elite pro with I/O box, no issues with drivers.
  9. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    I used to have the audigy then the audigy II but these days I find myself just using the onboard realtek HD.

Onboard has massively improved since The ac97 days.
  10. Heavy_MG New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm really curious as to how you got this,could you link me to it?
    I also wonder if this can control a discrete Asus Xonar card?
  11. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    i went from onboard Realtek to onboard SupremeFX on the Asus Maximus III Gene and than on to a Auzentech Bravura 7.1 and than to a Asus Xonar Essence STX and i luv it, it just made a difference all the way up to my Essence card and i was like how much better can sound get even my old mp3 songs that are years old got better to listen too, even my games :D
  12. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    3 rigs total:

2 connected to TV's via HDMI. Using the HD Audio on the video cards 3870 and 5870.

1 connected to a monitor. Using onboard (Realtek ALC898) connected to Klipsh Pro Audio. To me, it sounds better than the PCIe card that came with the ASUS Maximus and Rampage Formula.

Have 3 or 4 Creative sound cards boaxed away in the basement, lol.
  13. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Back in the days of BF1942, BF:V,BF2, and BF2142 and you wanted to use the best sound then you had to have a Creative labs card with EAX or your game ran like shit. I miss games that use EAX.. It was like night and day quality wise in game. Now, you can get away with on board... which is sad.. I want them to push sound as well as graphics. When ever a new BF game came out, I bought the latest and greatest Creative sound blaster audigy or what ever to get the best sound. :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse Crazy Dogmatic Bullsh!t!

Thanks Received:
    I guess the main reason why the audio card market stagnated was because of the removal or loss of DirectSound

Then there are Audiophile soundcards, but lets face it - there are more gamers then audiophiles.
  15. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    I dont have a dedicated sound card, but I do run audio out my 560 Ti.

I have it setup as HDMI out to a receiver and a 5.1 surround setup.

I also have a Corsair gaming headset for when I want to keep things quiet.
  16. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse Crazy Dogmatic Bullsh!t!

Thanks Received:
    Pretty much what i want to do once my finances settle down :roll::roll:
  17. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I have 3 pc's right now, my oldest one has a xonar dg, the newer one has a xonar essence(had a titanium but gave me too many problems) my work pc has no card I just use the video cards digital, on my laptop I have the x-fi express which I did not know was so terrible sounding, I had the audigy notebook already and the x-fi express sounded like dirt compared to it and the codec so yea.

X-fi MB does sound a tiny bit better then no codec on a bad codec but really, its still no substitute for a sound card, maybe x-fi MB3 is better but I since it mimics some of the features from the sound core cards but I have not tried that yet.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  18. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    My option is not there.. Although i do use a onboard sound card but it's for the mic only and as for sound i get it though HDMI from the v card to a AV.
  19. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    No, just the motherboard's built in sound. I have it linked to 5 Altec Lansing's that cost me €100 a few years back and, without truly knowing, I assume that I would not notice the benefits of a dedicated sound card. By that I mean that the remaining components and the manner in which they are linked together probably has bearing on whether a dedicated souind card would have an impact, but I believe that in most situations, the motherboard alone will more than suffice.
  20. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    your AD2000B is not that bad though, I think thats the same codec used in some of the supreme x-fi risers, not sure though.
  21. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    It's true the older soundcards have been matched by some onboard solutions. The best can be seen in cadaveca's reviews. Mobo makers are finally taking that seriously, probably out of necessity to differentiate. Newer soundcards however keep getting better as well. There will probably be an endgame here where soundcards get chased into the corner of diminishing returns but we're still not there yet. Throw in swappable opamps and a headphone amp and I might ditch my soundcard. Especially if you can fit it on a mini itx.
  22. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Nope, my onboard handles 7.1 and i only use headphones every now and again, other sound i get is from my 7yr old 2.1 speakers through onboard and it does just fine.

Ive never had to use a sound card.
  23. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Proper high end sound because sound matters to me. Far better 3D positioning in games plus much better sound overall.
  24. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Yes i use one of these.
    [​IMG]

Since I sometimes write music I need a sound card which has low latency drivers when using instruments.

If I did not record I would be using onboard as this card is dedicated to recording programs and does not work well at all with things like Skype or Steam for instance.
  25. Suhidu

Suhidu

Thanks Received:
    Yes. My laptop has a hiss, because they didn't realize it had a hiss, before getting their customers pissed, so I got a sound "card" to avoid this miss.
    It's an SIIG USB stick with a C-Media chip and it's pretty decent really.