1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do you water cool your X1000 series, 7800 series or 7900 series VC when OC'ing?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by EastCoasthandle, Apr 15, 2006.

?

Do you use water cooling to OC your video card?

Poll closed Apr 19, 2006.
  1. Yes, I will post what I use

20.0%
  2. No I use air, I will post what I use

73.3%
  3. Neither air or water cool, I will post what I use.

6.7%
  1. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am wondering what is the ratio of OCers who WC vs those who air cool.
  2. Satchmo New Member

Thanks Received:
    In most cases a high quality fan is more then enough cooling for an OC video card, and a fraction of the cost ov WC.

my x1600xt is cooled by HIS IceQ turbo fan, idles at 40c, and hits 51c max loaded.
  3. POGE

POGE New Member

Thanks Received:
    My x1900xtx has a vf700cu with a 120mm fan blowing on it.
  4. nocrapman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whats ur temps like?
    I am getting close to replacing the stock HSF? Cant decide btw AccX2 and the vf700.
  5. spectre440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    currently im not watercooling my video, although my CPU is watercooled, but i do plan to add it to the loop sometime in the future...
    probably after i'll replace this lame ol' PSU of mine...
  6. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    lol air psh. maze 4 gpu with monster copper sinks from www.frozencpu.com
    2 thermaltake smart fans 54 cfm and 2 smart fan 2's 75cfm blowing on the card itself, black ice pro 2 rad for the gpu with 4 120's in push pull config 80cfm push 90cfm pull.
    on stock max oc was 740/880(1760) on current cooling 780/936(1872) 3dmark 05 went from 10860 to 11680.
    would push the card further but I'm at the limit of the cooling for the core, (which ultimately affects memoy clocks as well) so the next move I guess is to get a bigger rad, anothe res, pull out my hydor L25 and put the gpu on it's own loop.
  7. Nakamex New Member

Thanks Received:
    ATI X1800 XL 640 / 625 volt bug max temp is 48 C full load
    MCW60 in bigwater 745 :D

[​IMG]

good luck
  8. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    On my X800 XL I use a Zalman VF700-Cu LED. Brought my temps down pretty good at 38 idle/56 load. The reason why my load is so high is because here in Arizona, It's like 95 degrees fahrenheit outside and it's still spring(in Summer it can get to 110)! I tried putting the A/C in my house to 50 degrees fahrenheit and my idle/load were 33/48! But it costs too much money to have A/C on for too long.
  9. M. Mellough New Member

Thanks Received:
    I used a Zalman VF700-Cu on my previous card (6600 GT OC) but my current 7800 GS OC runs very cool with stock even when it's massively overclocked so I just kept the original BFG cooler, which appears to be of surprisingly good quality for a stock unit. Besides, I don't know of any third-party cooler that is 100% compatible with the 7800 GS. The only "mod" I intend to perform is to replace the stock thermal compound with Arctic Silver 5.

Air conditioning your case could prove to be a cheaper alternative :D

http://www.extrememhz.com/ics8200-p1.shtml
  10. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    u put a an air cooler on a 1900 that dosnt exhaust outside the case and u are doing the opposite to air coning your case u are centrally heating it.. why on earth artics new cooler dosnt exhaust outside the case baffles me..

course the fact all reviewers only test and review with a bare mobo sat on bloody bench might have something to do with it i spose..

trog

ps.. danger den make a nice water block for the higher end cards.. kinda pricey at 130 dollars or so.. he he he
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  11. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    But here in Arizona, I costs a lot of money to have your Air Conditioner on the whole day because it's hot and the cold air generates more electricity. If I can only have A/C only in my room I would because it's the hottest room in the house! IDK Why!
  12. M. Mellough New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had figured that ;)

I was just saying that since you can't cool the whole house down to 50F without spending a fortune maybe you should buy an air-conditioned computer case. It's an insulated case that uses a tiny, and hopefully quiet, AC unit that keeps the air inside the case at a low temperature, much lower than room temp. The system is more expensive than standard vented cases but on the other hand it removes the need for using third-party coolers and does away with case fans (and dust!) as well. Since the air inside the case is always cool the unit is sealed to prevent leaks and intrusion of warm air from outside the case. This solution keeps all of your components cool, not just your CPU. Of course you still need to use the stock coolers that come with your CPU and vidcard but because they are working in a cold environment their cooling power is much more efficient.

One drawback with these cases is the need to use a non-standard PSU, one that won't suck air from the casing. These are often single-fan PSU's with passive intake on top, totally sealed from the inside of the case. AFAIK the AC unit uses its own PSU. These cases were originally designed for computers and other electronics operating in hot industrial environments but some are available for the consumer market as well.
  13. MZ3692 New Member

Thanks Received:
    :shadedshu Damn it, my X1900XT goes up to like 75 degrees celsius on load because I'm still using stock cooling, I'm going to replace thermal grease on stock fan and I'll see what happens.