1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DOA PII 240 Regor?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 1Kurgan1, Aug 28, 2009.

1. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I just picked one of these up for the gf's rig and finally got time to put it in today. Windows 7 RC is on her machine and the word "Windows" pops up, but before the colored dots that eventually form the Logo show up it just restarts the comp. Put back in her 7750 BE and it fired right into windows. So I updated her bios and it didn't do a thing.

Both of these times it had recognized it as a 240 in the BIOS. So then I sit here thinking, is this really a DOA brand new proc? So I toss it in my comp...

[​IMG]

Anyone want to take a shot in the dark at this? Fired right up, I didn't even both stopping in the bios.
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm at a complete loss. :confused: And this is with the latest bios? Did you reset CMOS and all that? Low frequency, high voltage.. I think AMD is playing a joke on you!
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  3. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I reset the CMOS in her comp, didn't notice the high voltage, but like I said I didn't even stop in BIOS on my comp and it still fired right up, and I run a 720BE normally, so those OC settings were stuck. I'm not sure how it would handle those as I have the multi set at 18 and the 240's not a BE, so might have done some funky things, either way, it fired right up.

I might toss it back in and set default and check voltage later, I'm sure I will actually.
  4. werez

werez New Member

Thanks Received:
    well , thats a first one ...
  5. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    Well it would help if you told us what motherboard she was running and wiether or not it supports the new processors
  6. Urbklr

Urbklr

Thanks Received:
    About the high volts, mine auto'ed to 1.42v...wierd
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  7. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    <------ System Specs
  8. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Well update, I finally got moved completely into my new place so I had time to put the 240 back in my comp and set the bios back to default. Results look a bit more normal, still high voltage, but at least not over 1.5v.

[​IMG]

I'm gonna toss it back in her comp, but I really think there has to be something wrong with this processor. Although it makes no sense why it runs fine in mine and won't even load windows on hers.
  9. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Reset the CMOS when you put the new cpu in.
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Funny thing is, I haven done that every single time I put the CPU in her comp, but when I put it in mine, I didn't reset the CMOS, and left the OC settings for my 720BE in there, and it still fired up.

I just tried it in her comp again and failed right when starting windows, makes me sad, but gonna RMA it.
  11. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Are you absolutely certian her board is compatable? If the processor works in your board, yet not hers, this would lead me to believe that the fault is on the board. You're gonna end up waisting time and money RMA'ing a good processor.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. YinYang.ERROR

YinYang.ERROR New Member

Thanks Received:
    What is the Mobo your using for her computer?
  13. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I would guess an incompatibility with the board. It could also be that Windows doesn't like switching the processor architectures. Tried reloading Windows? If it is getting stuck on the Windows logo, it might be a problem with the new processor and Windows.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  14. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    the MB he has in his GF's Computer is a Biostar 790GX 128M which is odd cause that Model isn't even on their Main Site. i looked at the other Models and they seem to support the CPU. idk what's going on.

Edit: ok, was looking at the wrong section of the site
  15. YinYang.ERROR

YinYang.ERROR New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think Windows has problems with new CPUs, just mobos.
  16. Soparik2 Guest

i would suggest giving the system a nice clean format if your GF can survive with having to re-install her apps (msn, yahoo, aim, lol :D)
  17. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 on that man.
  18. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Well the problem arises most of the time when you change the northbridge, guess where part of the northbridge is located on these processors?

The newer IMC in the Regor core might be causing the problems. Though rare, I'm just saying it could be the problem.

And I've dealt with plenty of Windows problems caused by a simple CPU upgrade...
  19. YinYang.ERROR

YinYang.ERROR New Member

Thanks Received:
    :wtf:

Interesting...
  20. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Its a brand new board with 790GX/SB750, they are all compatible with PII's. I have the same SB on mine and just a 790FX, so almost same chipsets all around. Plus the chip defaulting at voltages over 1.4v, thats what a PII 965 comes at stock, and the 965 has 600mhz higher clock speed out of the box. Infact that Biostar board works so well with PII's they are known as one of the best mobo's to unlock dual cores and tri cores to quad cores. Which is what I wanted to try with that 240.

She has a very fresh Win 7 install, maybe 2 weeks old at most. Either way I already got the RMA number, somethings fishy, her boards less than 2 months old also.
  21. Cheeseball

Thanks Received:
    My Athlon II X2 240 defaults at 1.425v using the same board in my System Specs. Is this not normal for a 240?

BTW, Kurgan, if possible, please try and take a clean picture of the CPU itself. I'd like to see it's batch.
  22. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure if it's normal for a 240, but it shouldn't be as my 720 defaults at like 1.325v Also the batch of this proc is 0929. I would talk it over with AMD through emails, but u only have so long to RMA a proc, so if I wait any longer I stand the chance of having bought a dead rpoc and being stuck with it.
  23. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    3 years...unless you bought it OEM.
  24. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Well just got the RMA'd one, same freaking deal. I'm not sure whats going on here, gonna have to figure this out with Biostar.
  25. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Eh?
    If the stone works in one mobo but not in another, the CPU is not at fault. You should've RMA'ed the board.