1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does a new system require a reformat?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Irish_PXzyan, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Well lads.

I'm just wondering will I have to reformat my system when installing a new MB, RAM and CPU?

I'm going from my current system to an Asrock Z68 1155 board, i5 2500k and Corsair vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz.

Do I have to reformat?
  2. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Yep. Completely different hardware. Would just be an absolute headache trying to run your old for install.
    Gotta start it clean and fresh for your fresh parts.

Did you manage to get it working?
    Irish_PXzyan says thanks.
  3. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Ahhhh flip!! It would be so handy if I could just merge it all together :p
    Shame!

Sadly enough no :/ I've got my RMA number so I must organise them to send out a currier during the week and hopefully it will get sorted quickly!
  4. white phantom

white phantom New Member

Thanks Received:
    yep sadly its a reinstall/format, i had the exact same problem when i upgraded and thought a new bit of tech was dead on arrival (instant bsod) turns out just because i went from socket 775 to 1155 i had to reinstall windows and drivers e.t.c, runs perfect now :)
  5. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    NO

You don't need to reformat. "Uninstall" any HDD and chipset specific drivers BEFORE you move the HDD to the new platform.

Then you need to sysprep the HDD BEFORE you move the HDD to the new platform. When it shuts down DONT turn it on again until it is IN THE NEW mainboard.

Google sysprep. Save yourself A LOT OF TIME.
  6. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I was just going to say, with Windows 7 and a bit of prep you can just swap hardware for the most part. If you want the best performance, i would suggest you re-install;)
    Irish_PXzyan and INSTG8R say thanks.
  7. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Oh jayziz!

Hmm seems like a reformat would just be the easier way around it! A reformat is always a good thing anyway!

I suppose I may as well just reformat and start a new!
    Thanks for the responses lads!
  8. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Actually when I left my evga classified board and core i7 920 to what I have now it actually worked fine, but I planned on reformatting anyways so.

But yeah you should reformat anways for your fresh hardware.
  9. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yep, what sneeky said. When I moved from my E8500 system to my 2700K system, I simply let it boot up on the new mobo and Windows sorted everything out. The only thing I had to watch out for is that my old system had been running in SATA compatibility mode, while the new one was in AHCI mode and I wanted to use that mode rather than continue with compatibility. To prevent a blue screen, I put the new system in compatibility mode on the non-Intel disc controller and booted off that. I then installed the Intel AHCI drivers, connected the boot HD to the Intel controller and rebooted. Everything then worked fine.

Of course, you'll have to install the drivers for your new hardware, but otherwise Windows 7 migrates very well indeed. Forget the headaches that were common with XP when trying this.

As always though, for the cleanest install, you could reinstall everything fresh. In my opinion though, it works so well as it is, that it's not worth bothering with.

Finally, you should of course always have a backup of your data.
  10. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Sure I have done it before as well. I just uninstalled all the "Intel hardware" and replaced it all with "Generic" Was a bit time consuming but it worked. But that was back in the XP days.

My general rule is I always buy a new hard drive when I do a new build then I can keep my old install and move all the important stuff back over and not have one of those "Oh Crap I forgot to save that!" moments.

I got lucky when I got my Caviar Blacks for this build really cheap and before the prices shot up. Probably paid as much for both of them as 1 would cost now.
  11. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    The general rule of thumb for this is you may be able to get away without a new system install but you really don't ever want to...
    AlienIsGOD and INSTG8R say thanks.
  12. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Interesting stuff!
    I might just chance it and see if all goes well?

I have a partition drive called Z:storage! It contains every driver and software I need and use for a new system!
    MY OS is on the C partition of it's own and that's all that's installed onto it.

I might get lucky!

But I will reformat it if it doesn't migrate smoothly :p