1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does anyone anything about Sony W series laptop

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kysg, Sep 12, 2009.

1. kysg New Member

Thanks Received:
    Man have I been out of the loop, anyone happen to know anything about the new W series laptops from Sony??? I got mine for 150 bucks, I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about em, because I might shove another gig of ram in there, and try to add windows 7 or run linux off an sd card or something.

2. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    can u link? any google search brings up tv's... which isnt a good sign

3. kysg New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I'd like to know where I could get one for $150 :laugh:

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. kysg New Member

Thanks Received:
    well you type in the coupon code VAIOSTYLE300 at the checkout counter. I think it knocks it down too...199, then if you have an employee discount which is 10% off everything. That knocks it down to 159 shipped...

Anyways I guess I need to look up more info on this thing, doesn't look like it accepts SDHC cards.

6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    you can try putting Windows 7 on it but that 1.66Ghz processor might struggle a little. secondly if your serious about windows 7 - make sure its a 64bit version & throw in 4Gb of ram.

lastly it says 'Intel Processor' they could give you an older generation processor.

7. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    210 out the door is a pretty good deal on this netbook. My wife's been looking for a lappy for school and this just may be the ticket.

8. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    On the specs on the site it says Intel® Atom™ Processor N280.

9. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    well this was from the link you provided - it says Intel Processor.

[​IMG]

Anyway - the Atom N280 is a single core & therefore will be woefully under powerd - worser then that, since its classed by Intel as a 'cheap' processor for Nettops & Netbooks - it only supports 32bit computing.

so your screwed either way. you cant upgrade to a 64bit O/S to make use to 4Gb ram.

Column 1
    0 Minimum hardware requirements for Windows 7 Architecture 32-bit 64-bit
    1 Processor speed 1 GHz 32-bit processor 1 GHz 64-bit processor
    2 Memory (RAM) 1 GB of RAM 2 GB of RAM
    3 Graphics card DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM driver model 1.0
    4 HDD free space 16 GB of available disk space 20 GB of available disk space
    5 Optical drive DVD drive (only to install from DVD/CD Media)

Spec wise. your not bad. but its still a gamble to make sure things run smoothly on 32bit Win7

10. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, Freedom. But at that price point it's about as good as you can ask for. 200 for the machine, keep XP, dump another gig of RAM in it for just a few bucks, and you've got a nice little machine for the money. Grab a USB adapter for your SDHC cards if you need em. :)

11. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    if the N280 was Dual Core though, that would be a different story. It looks like its gonna be XP SP3 for you all the way. not that you really need any outstanding features that are available in win7. put 3Gb ram in there. at a later date you can upgrade the hard drive to an SSD if you chose to do so.

12. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
  13. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    1./ WOW, $150. Unbelieveable! I paid EUR 400 ($500+?) for mine. You got a bargain. I'd buy another one at $150 if I have the chance.

2./ NO. You need to buy a 2GB stick and REPLACE the old one. There is ONLY ONE SLOT. Be warned. I bought a 1GB stick at the same time as the machine, only to have a new kingston still unopened and unused. :(

QUICK SUMMARY

> It has the BEST screen of any netbook. No question = excellent.

> The battery is 2.5hrs average = poor show.

> The fan is NOISEY = poor show.

> The design, style and quality of build is very high for a netbook = excellent.

> The keyboard is a bit small... but the same criticism exists for all netbooks = will get a SONY X when it is released.

14. kysg New Member

Thanks Received:
    Only 1 slot?? man that is kinda lame....Is it under the keyboard??

Also were you able to look the specs for the RAM??

was it ddr2 800 or was it ddr2 667??

EDIT: Checked intel website, says it can only support 533 and 667....:p

I do want to throw an SSD drive in there but they are kinda expensive may have to check ebay for prices. Newegg does have the 7200 RPM drives down to 80 bucks for lappys.

So windows 7 is a dead end. Xp isn't bad, I haven't heard much on the atom proc. Should probably do some research. Yea I had a gut feeling the battery sucked. But they are making a 6-cell for it. Too bad it costs like 90 dollars. So hmmm I think I can knock out ram for 30-40 dollars.

Actually I think the gripe is for that particular keyboard. It looks kinda awkward and could take a long time to type on. I have an HP nc4010 and the keyboard on it is like a standard laptop keyboard. Hmmm they are making an X series laptop?? probably costs an arm and a leg. They already put out that P series subnetbook and that thing is really small. You need a magnifying glass to look at that thing.

oh yea bought an external cd rom for it. That costs 50 bucks from newegg. Don't buy the one from sony...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009