1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does anyone have a 770? and can give me some feedback on it?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by tuunade988, May 10, 2014.

1. tuunade988

Thanks Received:
    shop/store, i live in Australia i bought it from mwave.com.au
  2. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I have no problem with my PNY 770 but it ran hot, after repaste the heatsink was kind of loose and would shift. I could have probably fixed it with Shin Etsu paste alone but went with a new cooler as well.

From what I found, all my dead cards were bought used and overclocked by me. Therefore I don't buy used cards or overclock cards 24/7 anymore LOL.

Anyway, stable as a rock with this Geforce 770. The Radeon 7970 I had before was very unstable.

History:
    new Diamond Stealth: still works
    new 3dfx Voodoo3: still works
    new Nvidia Geforce 2 Pro: still works, lost it (threw away?)
    new Sapphire Radeon 9800SE: so slow I never ended up using it
    new Chaintech Geforce 5900XT: still works
    used Sapphire Radeon X800XL: dead (bios oc)
    new BFG Geforce 7600GT: still works
    used EVGA Geforce 7800GT: dead (riva tuner oc, zalman cooler)
    used 2x XFX Radeon HD 6850s: still works
    new XFX Radeon HD 7850: still works
    refurbished Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970: unstable, sold, total garbage
    new PNY Geforce GTX 770: still works
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  3. tuunade988

Thanks Received:
    Ahh ok.. yeah my mind is set on the evga 770, hoping it will work 100% fine for me... I don't plan on overclocking or anything I'm usually happy with what I get. Is the 4gb version worth it? I'm Initially upgrading From a 7870. Sadly I sold that though but yeah I want a future proof card, and as I bought the r9 290 it's about the same price as the evga 770 4gb so I won't have to pay any extra or anything. So should I get the 2gb or 4gb? I'm only using one monitor 1080p

I'm thinking of 4gb because I really want a future proof one.
  4. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    tbh the 770 won't be able to take full advantage of the 4gb. And at 1080p, you won't be needing 4gb. I can see why you want the 4gb because of future proofing but I don't think 4gb on a 770 would be a wise choice. Also at the price of a 4gb 770, I think you would be better off spending an extra ~$80 and getting a 780.

Review of an EVGA 4gb ACX Classified
    http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/graphics/36599-evga-770-dual-classified?showall=&start=4
    It has an insane overclock too out of the box so the overclock is most likely the main contributing factor to it's increased performance over a normal one.

Also with buying from shops I don't know where you are in Australia but I've had extremely good service from Umart and Computer Alliance. If you need it posted, PCCasegear is pretty good too.
  5. tuunade988

Thanks Received:
    The overclock is what kinda concerns me as well.. the 280x had problems due to factory overclocks, which led to vrm issues, and therefore artifacts. Hmm maybe I should just get the 2gb to be on the safe side since a lot more people would most likely have it instead of 4gb. I'm trying my best not to run into anymore problems that makes my computer unstable and unplayable.
  6. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
  7. tuunade988

Thanks Received:
    Ok, will do. Will my cpu bottleneck this card? I see people getting really nice fps in games like Bf4 with this card, but if I were to stick it in my setup? With the amd 1100t 3.3ghz. I would really much prefer not to overclock my cpu as well. I don't know how to and don't really have time to learn and play around with the bios settings.
  8. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    It will bottleneck a small amount but it won't be a huge problem. Running a slight overclock at 3.8 would help but I wouldn't worry about it. You will probably only notice this on BF4, SC2, WOW.
  9. tuunade988

Thanks Received:
    How much of an impact would it be on Bf4? It's pretty much the main reason why I'm upgrading from a 7870 in the first place, and the main reason why I upgraded to amd as they have mantle.
  10. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I have no idea, I would try it and see. However a 770 is a decent upgrade from a 7870. With a 770, I can run BF4 on ultra with 1920x1080, but I use a i7. Since BF4 uses the cpu more than many other games, I would guess it could have an impact as the Phenom II is an older processor. Phenom II x6 1100t was top of the line for its time so I think it should still run pretty well.
  11. tuunade988

Thanks Received:
    Hmm was thinking about upgrading cpu to a fx8350, but changed my mind and got a new card instead
  12. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Since you have a coolermaster 212, you should be able to bump your CPU clock to 3.8.
  13. tuunade988

Thanks Received:
    Is it hard to overclock I mean I would go for 4ghz if it's safe

Edit: in the end if my cpu is holding me down with the 770 than I would prefer saving up and getting a 8350
  14. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    8350 is not that much faster, it wouldn't be a big upgrade. Your money is better spent on the graphics card in my opinion.

edit: overclocking is not hard, google "Phenom II x6 overclocking"
  15. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Don't dog it because of one bad experience. I've had hardware failures from every vendor that I've bought from (GB, Sapphire, Intel, AMD, EVGA, XFX, G.Skill, Buffalo, Crucial, Seagate, Maxtor, Samsung, Denon, Logitech, JVC, Asus, Corsair, etc, etc, etc)...should I write them all off?

Ironically, the one MB mfg I've had the most failures with I still buy from primarily (Asus), because of good customer support that I've had and that after getting through that bad MB batch experience I haven't had issues since.

I'm running dual monitors but only single for gaming, the second monitor I maintain for web browsing, programming windows, when I'm multitasking, etc. Works really well that way.

Good luck with your next purchase!

:toast:
  16. tuunade988

Thanks Received:
    Just to be sure is it possible that anything else in my computer that could be causing, freezing, black screen and crashes? Psu failure or something. I GOT a 5770 inside my computer atm with no problems what so ever, but everyone knows a 5770 is nothing compared to a r9 290, I'm just convimced that it could most likely be the card as Iam definitely not the only person getting these exact problems.. I'm going to return the 290 on monday, hoping that the shop can find the problem straight away, as they are also going to test it in one of their machines on monday.

Edit: I just hope that the store I bought it from can find the problem straight away so that I can get a replacement asap. I already waited for about 2 weeks due to my previous card being faulty and they couldn't find the problem so they had to send it off to their suppliers or something for further testing which was why it took even longer.
  17. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    In Australia a 2 week turn around is pretty fast. I've been told to sit tight for 8 weeks while Asus figures out that my gpu just needs a new fan... Bring on the Australian Consumer Law and claim financial loss against potential income lost from not having the card and also counting depreciation.

I doubt there would be anything else causing the issue, I mean seeing you said in one of your other threads you have tried out different PSU cables and your computer runs fine with the 5770 (and the 7870 before it). I guess the only other way of checking would be to try installing the 290 into another computer and see what happens there.
  18. tuunade988

Thanks Received:
    uhh i dont have any ohtjer computes that can handle a 290 sadly.. loool. Anyway i popped the 290 back in, ran a few benchmarks with heaven. Nothing happened during the benchmark but as soon as i closed it, computer froze and restarted. Ran furmark and got the card to around 80 degreese i didnt really want to push it any further so i closed it, nothing happened... Played max payne 3 for like 2 hours nothing happened... playing bf4 now and typing this NOTHING HAPPENED??!@!@?!? THIS CARD IS MESSING WITH ME.

EDIT: never mind it happened, but this time i was able to play games for quite awhile till it did.. So im guessing it completely a random thing.. I hope the people at the computer store finds the problem...
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  19. tuunade988

Thanks Received:
    From an ATI system to Nvidia, would i have to reinstall windows? or can i just use DDU and ccleaner to fully uninstall the ati drivers and install the new nvidia drivers for the 770?
  20. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    uninstall with DDU should be enough, and to clean out registry database run CCleaner before installing the Nvidia driver.

this is what i would do.
  21. tuunade988

Thanks Received:
    Yeah thats what im going to do. Thanks Puma
  22. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    yw tuunade988 give some feedback on how it works oki?

once u installed the nvidia driver i would go into the Nvidia Control Panel --> 3D Settings --> Configure Surround, PhysX
    then i PhysX Settings choose the GPU (GTX 770) and apply.

this makes it easier for the system to figure out if the cpu or gpu should do physx in games plus it can help prevent driver crashes.
  23. tuunade988

Thanks Received:
    uh okay, no worries i will try and remember to post back here on this thread. My whole computer is with mwave now and they have found the problem im having with the 290, but aren't yet convinced that its actually the 290 so they're further testing it, but im pretty certain that it is the 290 and nothing else inside my computer... so im already making decisions on the 770 lol. At the moment i've got my mind set on the 2gb evga version of the 770, most possibly dual bios... thinking about 4gb, but as previously explained it shouldn't make a difference.. so yeah..
  24. tuunade988

Thanks Received:
    They're now suspecting it to be the motherboard, they're testing everything else out just to be sure. They already tested RAM, well thats what they said yesterday, and i just called them up about half an hour ago asking hows it going. So seems like RAM is out of the problem. This might take a while, sadly. I myself don't believe it to be the motherboard, i used the asus r9 280x on the exact same motherboard, and never had the problems that i am getting now, besides the horrible severe artifacting. My 5770 was also perfectly fine, no artifacts OR computer crashes. Im guessing that they're just trying ot make sure it isn't anything else in my computer thats causing the problem before they even consider the graphics card being a problem. They did really say "suspect", so im assuming they clearly don't know for sure thats its the motherboard.