1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does anyone have good experiences (also after like a year) with Gigabyte mice?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chevalr1c, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Hey folks,

My Razer Imperator has begun giving up the ghost, once in a while showing the "double-click effect" when single clicking. Physically it was more than alright still, but after taking it apart indeed one of the switches did not "feel right". It is out of warranty so it is time for a new mouse. This time I will not spend that much, because even though the build quality and comfort were superb, the button switches are similar to those of other gaming mice (which I did not realise when I bought it). The switches are the weakest link as it appears, so I decided to not spend more than about 40 euro on it.

Does anyone here have good experiences (preferrably long term) with Gigabyte mice? I can get the M6900 for 23 euro including mailing fees and VAT, and it seems to be good value for money to me. It is optical though (don't really mind that), and the max dpi value is 3200 (which can be "solved" with higher sensitivity settings in games and a higher mouse speed in the OS).
    A second candidate is the Logitech G400, but it is about 10 euro more expensive while its shape is slightly less what I like. The Gigabyte model resembles the shape of the Imperator better while the G400 feels like my G5* (still good, but not my favourite shape wise. Preferring the palm grip can be tricky with smaller hands). Neither does the G400 seem to have memory, while I prefer my settings to stay stored in the mouse for in case I boot anything else than Windows (or another PC).

I prefer wired mice btw, so that I save myself the hassle of those batteries.

So, does anyone of you have had bad or "meh" experiences with Gigabyte mice?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    *G5 is in use in my bedroom at my parents place, in case you wonder.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. acerace

acerace

Thanks Received:
    I had a Gigabyte mouse once, a M6800 mice. It was ok, comfortable and the browser button on the left side really help me.

But, there's always a but, it goes crazy on me after about a year or so. The sensor got really jumpy. I've even opened the mouse and clear the internal, it was ok for a minute or two, then go crazy again. Well, I bought it for what, $20? So it didn't suprise me.

Now I'm using el cheapo Acer's so called "gaming mouse". No browser button feature is really a dealbreaker for me. I hope that'll help. :)
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  3. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I own a M6900 which is my backup mouse.
    It's a light weight mouse and is quite big.
    The version 2 has rubber grip on both sides of the mouse while the version 1 has it on only one side.

The buttons are very easy to click.
    The mouse wheel as you may know has tilt function.
    I find I am often pressing the tilt when I'm pressing down.
    Could be due to me not being used to the tilt function mice.
    Mouse sensor is offset and I found the sensor stops registering movement less than a couple of mm off the mousing surface.
    The mouse sensor has a quirk where moving left works as it should but moving right the mouse will also move slightly up.

I personally didn't like the M6900 in the time I used it.
    I bought a new MX518 and used it for spare parts to keep my old MX518 running since the original MX518 has a superior sensor to the new MX518.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  4. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    I've had a GM-M8000 for a little over 2 years now. My experience with it is up and down. It's comfortable and I like the way it feels, dpi adjustment being just a momentary switch. Good weight to it, moves well on a mat.

On the other hand it's been replaced once and has been having intermittent problems where it will disconnect and not work properly until it is unplugged for a few minute.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  5. Naito

Naito

Thanks Received:
    I've had an M8000X for almost a year. Has survived many FPS sessions. Comes with weights, so you can tweak it to you liking. It is rather light to begin with and thus hasn't the most premium feel, but it is very comfortable to grip and solidly built. Middle wheel clicks down without affecting the tilt functions, buttons give a satisfying click, but not overly loud. Has button to adjust DPI up to 4 times. The 'Ghost' emblem can change color. Laser tracks very well, no jumping (AFAIK, uses two lens). would I buy another Gigabyte mouse? Yes.

Sorry about the short review, typing on phone (internet down).
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  6. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a 6900 (the newer version widjaja mentioned) on my backup PC, and also had trouble with the mousewheel tilt due to its non-symmetrical wheel.
    It is also a little light and cheap feeling in comparison to my G500 or old Razer Copperhead 3g.
    What actually stopped me using it though, is the mouse wheel squeaks, i tried greasing it, but it always returns.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I hate it, near every mouse i had at some point had this issue. 1st time it happened on my i actually modded the plastic that hits the button but it takes or can take a lot of time of trail and error..

As for a GB mouse i have never had one due to one or more reasons. How ever the steelseries sensei has lasted longer than any mouse i have had over the last 7 years and can be got for around $60.

I take it that your right handed so might be good to go for Logitech as there warranty are normally better than anyone else.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  8. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    My first thought too. I've had a G500 for near 5 years and my only complaint is I've just about worn off the skids on the bottom. Still works flawlessly...

I didn't even know Gigabyte made mices.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  9. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    after advice from tpu i bought the logitech G400.

the mouse is EPIC!
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  10. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I might go with the G400 then. It is very similar to my G5 and I confirm that they are durable.
    I also might increase the budget to a max of 50 euro, so I will look for other candidates as well. The G400 is on the list.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
  12. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I think I will buy the G500, there is a webshop that is available to me in bricks-and-mortar from as well, at a stonestroke away from me. So if I decide to return it within the "cool down period" (if I don't like it) or need to RMA it because of a defect, I can bring it to the store instead of having to mail it.

Thanks guys, I think I made my choice. The G500 for 49 euro.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Don't think you could go wrong with the G500.
    Haven't heard any major complaints abut the performance of the mouse besides the sensor being at the front.
    Appears to have a matte finish on the top so it won't get hand scum.
    Both the MX518 and the M6900 accumulated hand scum on a relatively regular basis for me.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  14. Hellraiser1981 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seriously? Solder some debounce capacitors to the switches and problem solved.
    Manufactures usually omit such devices to save on cost. The SMT pads are usually there, caps are missing, from my experience....
  15. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    @hellraiser: I do not have the knowledge and skills necessary for that. I cannot even do a basic soldering job. I might be able to learn all that in the long term, but it will take some years until I have such skills and know-how (I lack aquintances who could teach me so it will mean I have to find other ways to learn it if I want to).
    So I have to go the other route and buy another mouse.

P.S.: I got the mouse and use it since a couple of minutes. It is nice thus far.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    buy it from the logitech store if you can. i bought mine from the showroon. got a nice discount plus replacement guarantee :) if anything goes wrong i just need to pop by with the mouse and they will give me a new one :D
  17. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    It is 71 euro there, including shipment. I bought it at a retailer/e-tailer company called MyCom for 50 euro (local pickup after online order), 2 year warranty at the store, three year warranty from Logitech itself. So only in the last year of the warranty period, RMA goes in conjunction with Logitech (first two basically being pick-up and return if I RMA it to Mycom).
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    their really good about replacing, like i had to phone them twice and each time they just said ok we send you a new one once they did not even ask for a receipt lol.
  19. GamerGuy

Thanks Received:
    I had a Gigabyte gaming mouse a while back, it sorta resembles a Logitech MX512 in shape IIRC, but one thing about it, it's light.....feather weight. Heck, even the cheap Sensonic Orthrus II gaming mouse I'm using now for my 3rd rig is a little heavier, and this mouse is pretty light as well. I recall having a decent time with it, it handled games well enough, and the rubberized textured surface on the sides added to good grip, my palm do swest a bit when I hold the mouse for extended periods. Anyway, the rubberized surface was also the reason I threw it away, it got all gooey, and was sticky.....really, bad quality builds would rear their ugly heads ina relatively short time. I gave up buying cheap mouse after that, bout a G9 V1.0 and have never looked back. Used it for years as my main gaming mouse, have now relegated it to my 2nd rig since getting the Tt Level 10M mouse.....nosirree, no more cheap mice for this gamer!
  20. da)2kside

da)2kside New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gigabyte isn't on the top of there game lately, if you are looking for a good mouse, try steel series sensi raw, has an amazing feel to it, and this is coming from someone who owned a gigabyte mouse.
  21. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    I'm going with bad. I've ordered two Gigabyte mice in the last 4 years. The first crapped out on me in four months. The second was purchased last August. It was DOA.

Gigabyte, within the last two years, has left a real bad taste in my mouth. They had a debacle with the x79 board series, and defective product after another. The one bright side is that the replacement personnel are friendly and responsive.
  22. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the input, I already bought a Logitech G500. :)

I think the thread can be closed now :) (it seems I can not do this myself).
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    On the other side of the price spectrum, the Gigabyte M5100 optical mouse I got for free with a motherboard still works great after three years of occasional use. I guess price isn't everything.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  24. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received: