• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does gaming headsets work better with Amps?

System Name البرنس
Processor Intel Core i7-6700K
Motherboard MSI Z170 Krait Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q
Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl)
Audio Device(s) still thinking...
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze
Hello, all...

I planing to get good headset for gaming... Razer Kraken forged or Steelseries elite prism,

- Will i get more clearer sound with an Amp? or Amps only for the high impedance headphones?

i know the onboard is good so please don't repeat that, just answer me please

Thanks.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
An amp might produce better results, simply because onboard audio has the potential to be interfered with by electrical signals on the motherboard. Dedicated sound equipment is almost always better than onboard audio on most motherboards. Neither the Razer nor the Steelseries require 600 ohms from an amp though. Hell, I think the Steelseries uses USB for power.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Depends on the amp. Clearer sound? Khrmm... it really depends on what you seek for...

Most probably yes. Go for it a dedicated modern DAC unit will sound better...

High/low impenece? Low needs current and low output Z, only achievable with external amplifier power stage.

High impedance needs higher voltage not current, 12V is not enough to drive them so again, no go for a PC, external stage needed for bigger voltage swing, to reduce distortion and increase linearity.

PC output... driving headphones is only generic, the numbers with dedicated headphone amp IC's are not bad btw, but you have to cherry pick the headphones and match the equipment. You can't plug anything and expect it to work the same... those "audiophile" reviewers are often idiots comparing things that are not comparable on the same hardware often.

General rules. 16Ohm and less is a no go for a PC, increase of distortion. 64ohm is the golden best. Past 250ohm you have not enough gain, but they will always offer less distortion, but really tough to drive... albeit there is one plus for them, why I use them... you can use them directly in high power output stages, it is safe. It is very specific.

Will i get more clearer sound with an Amp?
clearer no, but you will get "better bass", since external amps normally have larger capacitors they can "add" (not really add just making sound like it should) volume to lower frequency sounds
or Amps only for the high impedance headphones?
normally yes, unless you enjoy a "warmer" sound level

for instance, im using a crappy class-t external amp (repurposed from "old" loud speakers) between mb sound card and phones and without it the deeper sounds just dont pack as much punch on some standard phones

you can always try some cheap external preamps of ebay and check for yourself before buying one for good, make sure to get one with either some class-t or class-a op-amp to avoid distortion (avoid "old valve"/vacuum-tube stuff like the plague, its just a regular amp with a low pass filter and bass expansion that audiophiles like to brag about)

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Sound can be really tricky. Lots of options. Way more complicated then video. But generally speaking more Amps the better and the DAC outside of the case instead of inside the less interference you will have.

Fill out your specs
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/account/specs

And your statement about your onboard is out of line. You asking for advice. You need to be willing to listen even if you don't like the advice. You don't have to follow it

Ill give you an example. I have a Gigabyte Z97X Gaming G1. One of the best rated onboard sounds systems. The ASUS Xonar DGX a $30 sound card blows it away

Last edited:
System Name HELLSTAR
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Mouse Razer Basilisk
since external amps normally have larger capacitors they can "add" (not really add just making sound like it should) volume to lower frequency sounds

Low frequency response has actually very low connection to power supply filtering caps... without snake oil and fairy tales.

(avoid "old valve"/vacuum-tube stuff like the plague, its just a regular amp with a low pass filter and bass expansion that audiophiles like to brag about)

Don't judge about things you vaguely understand. There good and bad examples in each type of equipment. My favorite amp is still tube output transformer less amp. 6AS7 triode one half has 280ohm plate resistance, thus making it possible to drive 600ohm headphones without a hassle, coupled with 6SN7 at the front, especially for headphones I don't get fatigue so fast from listening due to the increased even order distortion vs the solid state.

You have to learn a lot background and measurements to actually understand your feelings like, warmer, harsh, clear etc subjective rubbish based on the numbers and curves you actually have seen when measuring the device.

Last edited:

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Steelseries has a built-in DAC+some sort of pre-amp, so it won't benefit from an external DAC that much. Kraken only has analog i/o, so it solely relies on your built-in audio card and Razer software for it's pseudo-surround "features".

I am not very picky about my audio and been using cheap Sennheiser HD201 for the past 3 years (including the last year after semi-successful Bluetooth conversion), so when it comes to evaluating sound quality - I'm the last person you'd want to ask.
But purely from the technical side of things Steelseries Siberia Elite Prism is your cheapest and best option.

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
System Name البرنس
Processor Intel Core i7-6700K
Motherboard MSI Z170 Krait Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q
Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl)
Audio Device(s) still thinking...
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze
Ohh! all that!

I listed it, Jetster.

I just wanted to get impressively clear sound at gaming and music listening as well, i think i will blow my idea to get a gaming headset from my mind.

i seek for clarity not the sound level, should i buy a premuim headphones + amp ?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
You can't plug anything and expect it to work the same... those "audiophile" reviewers are often idiots comparing things that are not comparable on the same hardware often.
Rubbish! I'm an audiophile and can tell you that expensive HDMI cables give a better picture! :p :laugh:

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
premuim headphones + amp ?

Yes... gamer headphones is a overpriced anyway... chose from respectable old makers like AKG, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic.

Next argument is comfort and then the sound, what's the sound if you can't stand them more than 30mins, sweat, neck pain, clamp too stiff etc...

You have to try them on, just as hats have sizes, yes our skulls have different shapes and size. The headphones also are different, you have to try them on just as shoes and see. Normal audio shops provide possibility to try on headphones... it is a very very vital point.

Then the sound. It is very a intimate question... if the price point is same, they only differ in attenuation in different bands due to driver and enclosure construction. Some are well known to accent bass region, some are very bright at the highs etc... the difference are only 3-6dB at the edges, but each person percepts in a different way... one is so deaf... maybe a war veteran, they are know to be deaf at gun shot sound frequencies, so they won't bother at all.

The only option is to test and find what fits you best. You should go to some audio related shop and test stuff out. The amp is more or less a simple task... usually the more it weights, the better it is lol... but I would like to 2W class A output and some good proven DAC option in it too.

Last edited:
Low frequency response has actually very low connection to power supply filtering caps... without snake oil and fairy tales.
Don't judge about things you vaguely understand.
the caps ive mentioned are not filtering caps but "hold up" caps, they provide the aditional power during high demand, like beat-drum scenarios. cmon, you should have known this, if you are so into the subject...

You have to learn a lot background and measurements to actually understand your feelings like, warmer, harsh, clear etc subjective rubbish based on the numbers and curves you actually have seen when measuring the device.
distortion curves begges to differ, and are also the right meassurement to take into account, not "feeling"s

on the other hand, liking "warmer audio" (low+band-pass) isnt bad in itself. modern implementations of such with its rubish (read fake) chinese tube valves are just not the same

regardless, i believe op is after a change in audio quality from using an external amp, it wont change the quality (unless the amp is fed a digital signal and has a very good dac), what will most likely happen when using an external amp is higher volume and better bass. those who had an old creative sound card should know this, they shipped with embed opamps, and although the audio quality wasnt the best on those cards (crosstalk between inputs and outputs, low dac/adc operational frequency, etc.) they did provide a warmer audio with a rich bass line which many people liked (including myself)

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
the caps ive mentioned are not filtering caps but "hold up" caps, they provide the aditional power during high demand, like beat-drum scenarios. cmon, you should have known this, if you are so into the subject...

These things do not need HOLD for a device that eats 10-15W, It ain't a 100-1000W poweramp driving 3ohm load and where voltage sag may occur. At such currents the copper wire and transformer delivers enough juice. The only thing those caps do is ripple filtering.

Chinese tubes are not fake, they are Chinese tubes still with their markings and names, they are russian tech tubes made from impurer elements. The most often flaw to use them in circuits calculated for different tubes, they have different operational points, so don't complain about things again. People just like to bash on things they never held in hands and tried to use them actually in a proper way.

The quality will rise just by the fact as it will give less THD, waaay less crosstalk and a bit higher dynamic range, because the poor mans integrated audio will not have to drive a low impedance load. So an upgrade will be there just by doing that!

I have had all ISA/PCI/PCIE Creative cards since AWE64 Gold... I can't understand the heck you are saying... ASIO and Bitperfect is Bitperfect, if you want to screw around with gamer features like DSP effects etc, you are pleased to do that too... both camps are happy.

Last edited:
These things do not need HOLD for a device that eats 10-15W, It ain't a 100-1000W poweramp driwing 3ohm load and where voltage sag may occur. At such currents the copper wire and transformer delivers enough juice. The only thing those caps do is ripple filtering.
audio output from an external amp with bigger caps is the same as straight audio from onboard codecs? okei dokei...

Chinese tubes are not fake, they are Chinese tubes still with their markings and names, they are russian tech tubes made from impurer elements. The most often flaw to use them in circuits calculated for different tubes, they have different operational points, so don't complain about things again. People just like to bash on things they never held in hands and tried to use them actually in a proper way.
i have tried some "newage" tubes, how is that saying, "bite me once, wont bite me twice"? besides i would never recomend "tube stuff" in this thread, for christ sake, op is asking about audio quality between onboard and + external amp. would it be wise to let op spend 500+ canadian pesos on a chinese tube "powered" amp with tube valves that glow blue? please...

... THD, waaay less crosstalk and a bit higher dynamic range
I can't understand the heck you are saying... ASIO and Bitperfect is Bitperfect
although ive briefly mentioned a digital signal in my previous post (if using external dac), the reference to creative hardware was about the analog signals (crosstalk on digital signals?), and if you never noticed or perhaps didnt know, creative drivers had workarounds to prevent most of the crosstalk with embed "filters/rules" that removed most of the this hardware crosstalk on some of their cards (similar to the echo cancelation on todays microphones scenarios) (for instance, try a sound blaster live on a linux box or with unofficial windows drivers [cant remmember the name, ksomething, had a blue interface])

this is starting to go a bit offtopic, im afraid this thread will soon start to turn into a feud about cable pebbels and ps1 cd readers so ill just leave this here:
find someone with an external amp, op, and check the difference in sound, using the same headphones (you can use crappy ones, ones with bigger drivers are preffered) between just the onboard output and onboard passed through the amp. or you can get one of those cheap ass preamps, i mentioned earlier of fleabay, and check for yourself (the one linked mentions a complementary power supply to power it, but you can totally use a 9v battery hooked into the +&- to test it out, or better yet a 12v charger or the like). better bass response, same quality

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
audio output from an external amp with bigger caps is the same as straight audio from onboard codecs? okei dokei...

Just re-read what did you say. You mixed things together and start talking about completely else, there are good and bad devices as I said... and as I said Chinese Tubes are not direct replacements of western parts!!!! So no wonder people get negative results, they are just out of the loop versus 70ties people who where used to this tech. You just deny them all as such, and I say that not all of them is black... there are good implementations of it really.

Those were Daniel K Kx drivers for Live! cards...winXP time frame. Basically it is just a mashup of own creative dll's to fix out some features not working lately(you can fix always by yourself the driver, Daniel just put it together in one installer). Since death of direct sound they are not needed sound wise, but compatibility wise. Creative cards show FLAT frequency response, your argument about more bass etc is not seen anywhere, it measures FLAT unless you put the equalizer, I really don't like these who shout such gibberish based on nothing. Filters? Filters are needed, usually the DAC itself does it, depending either it is operating in hardware or software mode whenever is driver controlled, it does a lot of filtering mojo like the overpriced MUSE opamps. Well it may be also bad or it may be really good. It depends on the device and implementation. It is not necessary a bad thing.

Creative and Linux? You even now the story... they are known to hate each other for ages. The driver is beyond broken actually. It is even worse than apple supporting open source software.

The chap needs a simple dedicated USB DAC... like this for example. Quality parts around, the only hope that they are not really counterfeit. Then headphones based on his taste.

[slightly-offtopic]
Daniel K Kx drivers for Live! cards...winXP time frame
thats the one
Creative cards show FLAT frequency response, your argument about more bass etc is not seen anywhere, it measures FLAT unless you put the equalizer, I really don't like these who shout such gibberish based on nothing.
and i havent said otherwise, i said more bass compared to most onboard solutions that output directly from dac/codec without any op-amp in between and/or having hold up caps (thus providing less miliamps than an external amp will, thus lacking bass due to oscillating driver resistance/ohm value during driver movement in high-volume-low-frequency scenarios, even if average snr is still the same on both scenarios):
"add" (not really add just making sound like it should) volume to lower frequency sounds
[/slightly-offtopic]

The chap needs a simple dedicated USB DAC... Then headphones based on his taste.
why invest in a cheap external dac when he already has a cheap internal dac on the motherboard? why not just amplify the mb analog output?

while the device you linked had an integrated amplifier along with the digital-to-analog-converter, for 190 silver coins its not "simple" nor worth it for op (you get a whole hifi setup for that price). he mentioned he wants to game using phones, for god sake, not orgasm while analysing the hidden farts in some orchestra performance recordings

and if he ends up buying a pair of phones with an integrated dac (usb phones), both options benefits are nullified, if he buys a pair of standard analog phones a preamp adds something, an external dac doesnt

hey op is there a chance of you getting onto a computer or audio hardware store and try the different solutions? ask to try some headphones, plug them onto you cellphone (dont expect awesome quality most phones dac suck ass), then ask to try an amp between the two. then ask for the best dac/amp they have there and see if they can play a quality recording on it and see if that floats your boat.
do you own a proper hifi setup or similar, you can compared the audio of the same song being played on that on the same phones with the vanilla onboard played audio.
try, then buy what you like the most

System Name Project Gray Scale
Processor i7 6900k
Motherboard ASUS x99 Deluxe
Cooling Custom Water Cooled using EKWB components
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 2400 CL10 (4 x 8GB)
Video Card(s) MSI Aero OC GTX 1080Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB NVMe, 2-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB (RAID 0), WD Red Pro 2 TB, & Barracuda Pro 4TB
Display(s) Acer XF270HU
Case InWin 303 Black
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster SB-Zx
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G Pro x Superlight
Keyboard Novel Keys NK65 Entry Watermelon w/ 62.5g Everglide Aqua Kings (lubed 205g0 & TX Films)
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro
I personally run everything through my Rotel Amp & Rotel Pre-Amp setup, I have a new(er) Pioneer receiver that is digital optical compatible & HDMI capable I want to run my rig through (will be using my 6 x 100 Rotel Amp w/ the receiver as well (which only matters for my speakers not headset))

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
Not an audiophile by any means, but I'll throw in my two cents. I don't go far without my AKG K553 Pro and Sound Blaster E5. For a more cinematic experience, the E5 and my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro was very nice when watching Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation.
I don't like to think of the total cost for all that though. For actual value, I've heard the Kingston HyperX Cloud is a decent choice for a gaming headset with reasonably good sound. I've heard rumors that all other headsets are pretty bad.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
best to get a proper dac like a fiio or schiit and some sennheiser or byerdynamic heaphones and a yeti mic or something

System Name Project Gray Scale
Processor i7 6900k
Motherboard ASUS x99 Deluxe
Cooling Custom Water Cooled using EKWB components
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 2400 CL10 (4 x 8GB)
Video Card(s) MSI Aero OC GTX 1080Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB NVMe, 2-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB (RAID 0), WD Red Pro 2 TB, & Barracuda Pro 4TB
Display(s) Acer XF270HU
Case InWin 303 Black
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster SB-Zx
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G Pro x Superlight
Keyboard Novel Keys NK65 Entry Watermelon w/ 62.5g Everglide Aqua Kings (lubed 205g0 & TX Films)
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro
Just hooked this lil guy up to my Polk Monitor 40 speakers (will be connecting my Rotel 6 x100w amp tomorrow) , but I do want to snag a real headset soon, sooo many choices out there makes it hard to choose (looking at spending close to $300 max unless a voice in my head wins the argument to spend more lol)

Pioneer VSX-520

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
This is the DAC + Amp I'm using at present:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2QLPJM/?tag=tec06d-20

Don't let the price fool you: It can power most anything up to 250 ohms according to it's specs. It's ridicules overkill for my 35 ohm Phillips headphones I use... but the price was right. Pretty good DAC for the money.

That said, for the headphones you are looking at, I'm not sure you need it.

Last edited:
System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
i got a fiio e7

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Just hooked this lil guy up to my Polk Monitor 40 speakers (will be connecting my Rotel 6 x100w amp tomorrow) , but I do want to snag a real headset soon, sooo many choices out there makes it hard to choose (looking at spending close to $300 max unless a voice in my head wins the argument to spend more lol)

Pioneer VSX-520

thats the model up from mine, i'm running the VX-519V :D

running a yamaha 5.1 set with mine and its glorious for gaming. I also use the headphone jack to power my HD-555's (modded to 595's) and it works great.