1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does GPU-Z make bad dumps of VGA BIOSes?

Discussion in 'GPU-Z' started by ReadD8, Mar 12, 2013.

1. ReadD8

Thanks Received:
    I have noticed that possibly GPU-Z makes bad dumps of VGA BIOSes, at least with the old NVIDIA cards I own to test with (Asus EN7800GTX 256 and XFX 7900 GTX EE, both with untouched BIOS). The BIOS dump made by GPU-Z doesn't match the one performed by another utilities, there are 24 bytes which differ from the others dumps. The old ATiTool program, RivaTuner (/bi parameter) and NVFLASH for Windows dump matching files.

Screenshot of hashes (I have uploaded the files into the attached zip file):
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the attachment, looks like you are right

do you have an instant messenger? my details are on the left of this post

ReadD8 says thanks.
  3. ReadD8

Thanks Received:
    No, I don't have any instant messenger (I closed my accounts a time ago). Do I need to perform more tests?

Edit. I have performed another test.

- I have downloaded this official BIOS for 7800 GTX 256 MB card:
    Code:
    ftp://ftp.leadtek.com.tw/entertainment_graphics/BIOS/050628_PX7800GTX/2A30p.zip
    -I have run these command lines (I use nvflash for Windows 5.105, newer release cannot erase EEPROM) to erase the EEPROM and program the new BIOS file:
    nvflash --eraseeeprom
    nvflash -5 -6 pal45.rom

-I have rebooted twice the system, so that Windows can install properly the display drive (due to new subsys ID of VGA card). Then I have dumped the BIOS, same method than before: nvflash for Windows, ATiTool, RivaTuner (/bi parameter) and GPU-Z (latest release). Nvflash, ATiTool and RivaTuner dump identical BIOSes, which match the one I have programeed. The one dumped by GPU-Z differs from the original BIOS programmed. Screenshot of hashes and dumped BIOS files attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  4. Plug

Thanks Received:
    Hmm weird i would like to know whats diffrent about this gpuz dump ? whats changed ect ? worth re downloading my custom bios and reflashing ? as previously i used gpuz to do the ripping out of the rom ect but if its different in some way i would like to know cheers.

ReadD8 says thanks.
  5. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Older NVIDIA cards have issues with ROM reading, some bits are randomly read out wrong. Reading the same data multiple times usually helps. Trying to find a fix

ReadD8 says thanks.
  6. Plug

Thanks Received:
    Ahh so not related to ATI cards then at all ;) k

ReadD8 says thanks.