1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does moving the pagefile off the boot partition increase system performance?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by M0rt, Jul 30, 2013.

?

Does moving the pagefile off the boot partition increase system performance?

Poll closed Aug 3, 2013.
  1. No, leave the bloody thing alone!

16 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. Yes, move it to a secondary partition on an SSD.

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. Yes, but only if it's moved to an entirely different drive.

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  1. M0rt

Thanks Received:
    What say you?
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  2. Maleko

Maleko

Thanks Received:
    I always move the pagefile onto a seperate drive and set it to a fixed size.
    bmaverick says thanks.
  3. M0rt

Thanks Received:
    !
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    You should have enough memory installed in the computer so page file only gets minimal use. If you have enough memory, it doesn't really matter where it is.

Edit: Just above your original post, click on Thread Tools, then Add poll.
    de.das.dude, M0rt and RCoon say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    +1

16GB of RAM, have fun never using your pagefile.
  6. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I have removed my pagefile off my SSD and onto my WD RE4 is that ok?
  7. Fatal

Fatal

Thanks Received:
    If moving it to a drive that is just as fast as the OS drive then yes but not by much. Like a few have said installing more memory would be best. If you have the memory then I wouldn't even bother the gains are not that substantial. After all the searching I have done the end result I kept the pagefile on my OS drive and just re-sized it to 2000-2000. The only thing that I have done that I could notice gains was a ramdisk.

This link has some testing done with no pagefile so I believe that would be about the gains you would get.
    http://www.tweakhound.com/2011/10/10/the-windows-7-pagefile-and-running-without-one/
    RCoon says thanks.
  8. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i have 0mb page file :D
    i have 8gigs of ram which is enough.
  9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I let Windows control it. I used to move my pagefile years ago, but it is no longer relevant to do.
    purecain, MxPhenom 216 and remixedcat say thanks.
  10. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Page File Set to 0 here on an SSD running 16Gb of RAM

atb (all the best)

Law-II
  11. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    You can't completely disable it. A lot of software (including Windows) uses the page file to store small, temporary files that aren't frequently accessed. They use pagefile.sys because it bypasses a lot of the file system overhead making it faster than creating temporary files in %TEMP%. Even telling Windows to set it to zero, you'll still see at least several hundred megabytes in page file use.

I say just leave the page file on the system drive and let Windows control it. Unless you're really short on memory or doing something ridiculous, leave well enough alone.
    TheLaughingMan says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    With todays speeds and SSDs its pointless. Even with a platter drive its milliseconds at best. Just leave that alone. Although Im not agaist making it smaller or set it too 0 if you have a small SSD and no room.
  13. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I typically let windows manage it. Used to have it on another physical drive back when I only had 4GB RAM.

I got 16GB RAM now and I'm currently at 6.5GB RAM usage and 5.8GB P/F usage. Got 65 Chrome tabs, MS word and Excel, Jriver Media Jukebox, 6 explorer.exe windows, iperf server, PLEX media server, and THX/Realtek sound managers, Logitech LGS, and 6 notepad txt files open.
  14. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    Some programs are hardcoded to look for the pagefile, and some even make a fuss if it's not larger than x MB. This is why I keep a pagefile of 256 MB, otherwise I would've just disabled it altogether. 8+GB of RAM means (in most cases) you don't actually need a PF.

Windows memory management is improved in each successive iteration of the OS, and Windows 8 actually does a really good job of avoiding pagefile usage whenever it's physically possible. Win7 is ok too, but there was obviously room for improvement.
    maksic87 says thanks.
  15. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I just moved it off the SSD , i don't want it nicking space on there, the RE4 should be fast enough for it.
  16. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    +1
  17. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I shrink it to like 2gb, but I leave it in the ssd. Letting it alone let's Windows take an extra 10gb of my space and I say no to that.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  18. MadMan007

Thanks Received:
    For those talking about freeing up disk space...I hope you've disabled hibernate, especially on a desktop. By default Windows will use 75% of your installed RAM size for hiberfil.sys - that's 12GB for 16GB of RAM. You can change the size but only to a minimum of 50%. I never use hibernate so I always disable it entirely, the only downside is with Windows 8 hibernate is required for 'Fast Startup' (different from faster booting due to a fully UEFI-compliant system). I tested though and the difference with a modern SSD is a matter of <5 seconds on my system so not a big deal.

Run
    powercfg /h off
    in an elevated command prompt to turn off hibernate.
    bmaverick says thanks.
  19. bmaverick

bmaverick

Thanks Received:
    If doing CAD work or heavy gaming a separate second drive pagefile works great. I have seen one workstation with a 100Gb pagefile. The machine has 12 cores and 32Gb of RAM. The Nvidia K4000 Quatro card is sweet thing too. The machine is beastly.
  20. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Really? Why would you need 65 open tabs?
  21. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    pro tip: you cant disable a pagefile these days. you set it to 0 and windows turns it right back on, so everyone saying 'i dont use one' is actually incorrect.

set it to a static size (i use 4GB), leave it on C: or move to another physical drive. the end.
    purecain and remixedcat say thanks.
  22. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Reasons....
  23. Bot

Bot

Thanks Received:
    I used to run a server at home and with that i moved the page file to a dedicated mechanical drive. you can not completely turn off the page file so moving it can help. it does not matter how much ram you have installed because of how microsoft's windows memory management works. It will still utilize the page file which is exactly why you can completely turn it off. Moving it will not only reduce I/O traffic on your system drive but also prolong it's lifespan even if only minimal and is an SSD. In a server environment diverifing and lowering access and I/O traffic is important. on a regular desktop or gaming pc i don't think much of this accounts for much of a difference.
  24. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Oh, I should add that when defragging, it appears that Windows puts the page file way out in the nether regions of the hard drive where the read/write speed is considerably slower. If you move pagefile to another drive and it sticks it in the nether regions of that drive as well, performance isn't going to be much different beyond the preexisting read/write load on the drive may be different (drive without OS should have fewer operations on it). With this in mind, I think moving it to an SSD is the only way you'd see any real performance difference (because all bits function at about the same speed) but even then, I suspect it is still negligible unless you run out of available RAM.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    The only reason I could see for moving the page file is if you only have a 32 Gb SSD as a system drive and 2 Gb ram. Any other reason would actually make the page file slower. Unless your using a second SSD for a large page file