1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does OCing cause BSOD "memory dumps"?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by ShogoXT, Oct 21, 2008.

1. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    So once in a blue moon and it might be because my OCing, while playing a heavy intensive game, it will suddenly stop and blue screen me. Most noticeable is it saying it needs to do a memory dump which it then "counts down" in a way. Then it reboots.

OC? Yay? Nay? Usually doesnt bother me as no other issues occur, but today I was on a roll in Supreme Commander vs a friend! I totally had him!

2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    possibly, and also some say at higher altitudes your more susceptable to cosmic rays which do affect the circuitry. Could be a virus aswell

3. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    I'd say what is more important is about 1/4th the way down the blue screen there's something that will say what caused the BSOD, in my case it's usually something like "IRQL_DRIVER_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL" Which means that a driver malfunction is causing my BSOD (in my case a wifi dongle driver) You should try to memorize what that code says and hunt from there.

4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Error log Will give you more information. Most likely something isn't stable with your OC.

5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    that one is very Common, can be caused by a Defunct Driver, Videocard, Overclock, or bad ram. I am very lucky to not have had a BSOD yet.

6. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    OC? Yay? Nay? Usually doesnt bother me as no other issues occur, but today I was on a roll in Supreme Commander vs a friend! I totally had him![/QUOTE]

Usually unstable memory I've found will usually BSOD during windows boot/startup with memory OC-ing....but yes I've had memory BSOD's while gaming, loading, testing, benching, etc. So it's very possible...but also keep in mind the NB, FSBv, and CPU can be unstable enough to cause similar issues, or the memory could be going bad...Memtest recommended of course. :D

There are a lot of things that can cause BSOD's, but there are a few common BSOD's that I do get with unstable OC's...can't recall them atm, I know one is 0x00000124, don't recall the other couple...that's usually the main one I see..

7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
  8. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    I usually rule out that it's an unstable OC from our long-time members. I feel pretty comfident that they know to check that first.

9. Fastmix

Fastmix New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's always best to check for stability after an overclock with something like orthos, prime 95 or I use OCCT.

For your question, yes and overclock causes bsod which is a sign of instability that you can solve by lossening the memory timing or lowering your overclock.

10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    We all get unstble OC's from n00bs to dry ice users. It happens.

11. fatguy1992

fatguy1992 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I get BSOD's if my volts are too low :D

12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    ya volt drops are a common issue, before my current machine i had the OCZ DDR Volt booster, that unit wound up being too unstable because of volt drops, so thats when i switched out motherboards.

13. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Couldnt find a "error log" in admin tools specificly, but I got this.

Attached Files:

14. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Might have started with my new ram.

15. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did speed up the ram timings too. from 5-5-5-15 to 4-4-4-13 I think.

16. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    that alone will do it. get a copy of memtest 86+ 2.0 or better and burn an ISO, run it for 2 passes at least to verify the ram is stable in the first place. Rule that out first and go from there!

17. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    make sure that the ram recieves sufficent voltage and try loosening the times. make sure that your system is orthos stable.

18. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    i know when i was a n00b to overclocking i got unstable ocs alot more then i do now after having years of ocing..

When i first started overclocking my rig would run stable for days then BSOD when gaming at random. It turned out to be caused by the ram. Try relaxing the ram timings or upping the voltage a bump. If that doesn't help then try giving the CPU 1 voltage bump. Also don't forget to stress test it after overclocking if you get any errors then you need to try to pinpoint what is unstable.

I would try setting the ram to 5-4-4-13

i just learned something new today. After you posted about cosmic rays i went to find more info on what effect they had on electronics this is what i found on Wikipedia

Wikipedia

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
    Crunching for Team TPU