1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does the economic crisis affect you?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Jan 29, 2009.

?

Does the economic crisis affect you?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2009.
  1. Yes, in my daily life

842 vote(s)
    27.4%
  2. Yes, I am more limited in hardware purchases now

817 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. I find survival difficult

302 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. No, nothing has changed for me

813 vote(s)
    26.4%
  5. I actually feel like I have more money available

304 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hasn't effected me at all. I'm only 16 tho.. I asked my parents and neither are having any troubles either.
  2. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    My point is only the fact that medai is not helping.

i understand the way it works, im not retarded, but if the medai would stop blasting we are in an economic slump it wouldn't be so bad.

Once the media started blasting this what happened? the economy went down.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. stanhemi

stanhemi New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm really affected.i'm losing my job at the end of February,they moved to Mexico,400 people layoffs.
    2 young kids at home, the wife lost her job before chrismas..hard time coming i guess.....
  4. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    companies are still making money but just not enough they think.
  5. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sales of my homebrew comps are going through the roof, gas prices are cheaper, I'm still getting the same amount in scholarships (I make a little over 1k per month just for going to school).

I'm doing extremely well for an 18 year old living at home.

I'm a very thrifty and financially responsible person as well so I've been able to make vast profits for my age while still spending and getting what I want.
  6. proletariandan New Member

Thanks Received:
    If the media are just reporting the facts, then good, that's their job. If people are smart they will stop spending, even if that leads to a 'social trap' - that people stop spending when they realize how bad things are and that will accelerate the downturn. That is why the Democrats are pushing for a (far too small) stimulus package. I laugh my ass off every time I hear the Republicans talk about tax cuts...the people who aren't spending money either don't have jobs or don't make enough that a tax cut will seriously help them. Neither of them understands that capitalism is the problem and that the only hope of building a stable, sustainable economy is to move beyond the free-market, anti-government dogma.

The point is that this is more than a slump, it is the end of a phase of capitalism that started in the 60s/70s and nobody really knows what is coming next. Everyone knows capitalism follows a boom/bust cycle, although people like Greenspan were drinking enough of the Friedman-brand Koolaid to think that they had somehow overcome that. Innovation has provided the means to continue growing the economy and increasing everyone's standard of living and has allowed the capitalists to continue to accumulate more and more at the costs of working people. Nobody can predict what will revive the economy, what the next 'boom' will be, but if there isn't one it will very likely be the end of capitalism as we know it. No more growth means that wealth will have to be redistributed much more radically and economies will have to be completely reanalyzed and redesigned.

I'm very lucky that the company I work for appears to be doing well, but we haven't seen anything yet; the more pessimistic of mainstream economics are predicting that this is only the beginning.
  7. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    Too bad we sold out 90% of our country to China. They will eventually own us...they are the new economic superpower.
  8. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It does affect my parents. They earn like twice as less as before, i can only spend $600 every year. And according to hardware $600 is VERY little.
  9. proletariandan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not really, but they do have the advantage of pretending to be Communist, even if they've forgotten what that means.

You're correct in that the real danger to the US economy is that people will stop lending to us to buy the things they produce when they realize that our dollars are worthless since we produce nothing compared to what we consume. The FIRE (finance, insurance, real estate) sectors have been the LARGEST sectors of the US economy for decades and are as good as dead.

PS. Read the link it my sig for Einstein's take on my capitalism sucks...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2009
  10. Suijin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Most of it just seems to be people spending more than they make (living above their means). I haven't done that, but I'm still affected due to having my pay cut 10% and the rising costs of food and other stuff.

There was a lot of cheating in the financial sectors also. I looked at getting another mortgage about 5 years ago, and most of the businesses in that sector are horribly corrupt and just looking to get your money by telling you anything at all to get you to sign. They rate far below car salesmen in my book now.
  11. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    I agree on i wish they would shut the hell up. I don't think it would change a whole lot but it damn sure doesn't hurt to not listen or read gloom n doom every 5 minutes. And just when you think you found something different to watch or read its Obama the great crap. :wtf:

Greed ruins us all. CEOs and so forth are so sad they don't get their millions of dollars in bonuses. :roll: I feel so bad for them.... NOT!
  12. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    Being an accountant, I will always have work. People will always need to do their taxes. My mortgage payment has gone down. Gas prices have gone down. I've got mad job security. Things are bright and rosy for me. Sorry for everyone not in the same boat though.
  13. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    I got my first job right when it started, so i actually have more money, lol.
  14. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My hours have been cut at work. So yes, but what hurts the most is college expenses.
  15. z1tu

Thanks Received:
    Wait...Canadia??? And yes greed is the main ingredient here....we get what we deserve
  16. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    i don't have i job so no. i'm one of the lucky ones. :)
  17. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    i forgot to say. my mom and dad work for the government so they can't lose their job. :)
  18. Wetbehindtheears New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes it has affected my daily life - for some strange reason I'm busier than I was before the recession!!

Takings over the counter are down but the money going through my gaming terminals has sky rocketed (I work in a Betting shop by the way) I just can't figure it!!

Overtime has been pretty much knocked on the head AND I now work longer hours - go figure that!!

'There's nowt as queer as folks' I guess
  19. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    that's normal. ppl who now have little cash will "try" to win BIG money on bets and lose the little money they still have. ahh... some people :wtf:
  20. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    In desperate times ppl will resort to desperate measures like gambeling unfortuently.
  21. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm an agency HGV driver, and I've only had 3 days work this month....And the last one of those I fell off my lorry, cracked my head open and sprained my ankle, LOL. Things are looking bleak....
  22. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Wow you just made me see clearly for the first time in ages. :toast:
  23. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, a government employee.

edit: you call people from the CIA G-Men ?!

Or crime in general.
  24. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    I voted YES in my daily life for a few reasons. I still have a job, I still have health care for myself and my family, so I am blessed in these times for sure. However, when I hear about people being laid off by the thousands, it affects me.

This is not just happening in America, it's happening all around the world. Who cares what nationality? (Really) We are all human and have the same needs and wants. The same aspirations, the same dreams. Reading the newspaper everyday, why yes, I am affected daily. :ohwell:
    Odin Eidolon says thanks.
  25. Odin Eidolon

Odin Eidolon New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks God, there is still someone from America that doesnt think everything happens only in the USA :slap:
    thoughtdisorder says thanks.